Author Topic: Woj Bomb: DeMarcus Cousins traded to Pelicans  (Read 30408 times)

Re: Woj Bomb: DeMarcus Cousins traded to Pelicans
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2017, 01:58:47 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Pelicans will at least fight for that #8 seed.

The Warriors are in deep trouble. You heard it first. The Warriors are in DEEP trouble should the first-round of the playoffs be between the Warriors vs Pelicans.

You've got to be kidding. Warriors will stomp the Pelicans. Let's see if they are Even Good first.

« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2017, 02:00:19 AM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26

It seems that Cousins' Agent was using the He won't sign anywhere but Sac threat to force the Kings to re-sign him to the monster deal and scare off other teams.  I don't think the Kings wanted to re-sign him, so they traded him to the highest buyer.  The return value in a trade dropped drastically to what the Pels paid because the chance Cousins will re-sign is small. 

If Cousins intends to explore free agency no matter what, the celtics may have dodged a bullet. 

Positive is that the Celtics could sign Cousins if he leaves in Free Agency

This.

I understand possibility of getting him in the future but the fact is that this could have been now and C's could have gotten him for .40 cents on the dollar. If he leaves in free agency, so be it. Gotta shoot your shot. I'd rather be thinking in July, "wow that trade worked out great and C's are in the finals" then be thinking "this time next year maybe we can sign boogie".

But idk. I'm over it and moving on but still dissapointed.

I agree it would have been great to have cousins on the team as I thinkt he C's could've convinced him to re-sign in the future.  My issues would be more about the future.  As we would've had to include players that are important to the teams success.  The pelicans don't have that disadvantage.  All the pelicans players besides Davis were expendable.  So the Celtics' trade package would be more valuable than 40 cents on the dollar.

« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2017, 02:02:46 AM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
All I can say is, Danny is playing a dangerous game.

Not sure how good the fit would have been with Cousins, but that was a chance to get a superstar. Those dont come along often.

What if the pick this summer ends up at four and the guy is another nice role player sort of guy, the Celts don't get a max free agent in free agency, and neither George nor Butler is available by trade?

Well, we go ahead and build through youth and make the most of Thomas and Horford. But we could look back on this as the time we could have gotten that last piece and Danny decided to wait and see.

We have the next two years Nets picks to fall back on, Jaylen brown, Marcus Smart and the development of a lot of young talented players.  It's very long term but I think the team will be able to compete at the same high level as right now and without getting Butler/George for another 4-5 years (maybe even longer depending on how the nets picks turn out)

« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2017, 02:03:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Pelicans will at least fight for that #8 seed.

The Warriors are in deep trouble. You heard it first. The Warriors are in DEEP trouble should the first-round of the playoffs be between the Warriors vs Pelicans.

You've got to be kidding. Warriors will stomp the Pelicans. Let's see if they are Even Good first.
What? I respect your posts a lot especially regarding drafts and prospects but New Orleans has a good chance of giving Golden State trouble if they gel, they have a backcourt that can actually defend in holiday and moore, a 3 and D SF in Solomon Hill and there's no need to say how AD and DMC will crush the warriors frontcourt. It all depends on whether the other 3 guys in the starting lineup put effort into defending and let their big men get to work as well as make their open shots. I'm not saying NO will beat GSW but they have a good shot at giving them a tough series
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2017, 02:06:47 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Holiday is a nice PG but I would definitely put him in the latter half of starting PG's.

15th in scoring (and 5th in eFG% among that top-15), 5th in assists, 11th in rebounds, 1st in blocks  and 5th in steals. You're underrating him.

Is he better than any of these guys:
Curry
Irving
Thomas
Wall
Lowry
Paul
Westbrook
Harden
Conley
Walker
Dragic
Bledsoe
Teague
Shroder
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2017, 02:06:51 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Have to say I'm disappointed by this news. Ainge must really not have liked him. I always thought that they would have been able to control Boogie and teach him how to win.

Boogie is kryptonite for the Warriors so if NO do make the playoffs I expect it to at least be a tough out for them. This move is really more about the long term though, can they sign a third piece, a guard, to complement these two?

« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2017, 02:12:33 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Holiday is a nice PG but I would definitely put him in the latter half of starting PG's.

15th in scoring (and 5th in eFG% among that top-15), 5th in assists, 11th in rebounds, 1st in blocks  and 5th in steals. You're underrating him.

Is he better than any of these guys:
Curry
Irving
Thomas
Wall
Lowry
Paul
Westbrook
Harden
Conley
Walker
Dragic
Bledsoe
Teague
Shroder
I'd say he is better than shroeder, teague and is on par with dragic and bledsoe
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2017, 02:13:15 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Have to say I'm disappointed by this news. Ainge must really not have liked him. I always thought that they would have been able to control Boogie and teach him how to win.

Boogie is kryptonite for the Warriors so if NO do make the playoffs I expect it to at least be a tough out for them. This move is really more about the long term though, can they sign a third piece, a guard, to complement these two?
Jrue Holiday is that guy. They need an SF
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2017, 02:17:37 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Sometimes the best trades are the ones that didn't happen.

This MUST be one of them.

Yep. Have to agree.

This had the potential to trade away Brown and the Nets pick, both who become all-stars. Here in Boston, he disrupts the chemistry, clashes with someone like Smart, and bolts when his contract is up.

Everyone blames Ainge for setting the team back taking a flyer on a soon-to-be-FA risky head case.

Yeah, because that's comparable to what SAC actually garnered from NO? Not close. Nice straw man.

Ugh sorry to be a snob but straw man has become the "ironic" of this generation, where everyone thinks they know what it means but nobody actually uses it correctly.

You are not a snob, just someone pretending to be a snob.  It is quite clear that you are not a professional logician.  An actual logician would never analogize a logical to aesthetic device.

No I am certainly not a professional logician, just a casual fan of discourse.

Perhaps you could explain to me why comparing people's inability to correctly use the word ironic (Commonly misused by people to describe unfortunate situations) is off limits to comparing people's inability to use the logical fallacy of the straw man argument(Commonly misused by people to describe arguments they don't believe are supported by their given evidence)?

Seems like a decent comaprison to me, but then I'm no professional logician.

« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2017, 02:20:29 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Apparently the win over Boston without Boogie was one of the things that sent Vivek over the top to trade Boogie lol

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/02/20/demarcus-cousins-trade-kings-pelican-buddy-hield/98145018/

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/833568077929447424?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

A lot of factors for Kings, but recent win over Boston w/out DeMarcus after he was suspended was a flashpoint

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2017, 02:21:52 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2017, 02:23:54 AM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
All I can say is, Danny is playing a dangerous game.

Not sure how good the fit would have been with Cousins, but that was a chance to get a superstar. Those dont come along often.

What if the pick this summer ends up at four and the guy is another nice role player sort of guy, the Celts don't get a max free agent in free agency, and neither George nor Butler is available by trade?

Well, we go ahead and build through youth and make the most of Thomas and Horford. But we could look back on this as the time we could have gotten that last piece and Danny decided to wait and see.

We have the next two years Nets picks to fall back on, Jaylen brown, Marcus Smart and the development of a lot of young talented players.  It's very long term but I think the team will be able to compete at the same high level as right now and without getting Butler/George for another 4-5 years (maybe even longer depending on how the nets picks turn out)

I don't think we signed a 30 year old Al Hortford to a max to build through our youth. Nor do I think he signed for that too. The goal is to win a championship in the next 4 years. Not take 4 years to develop a championship team.

Idk what DA is doing but I hope he surprises.

« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2017, 02:26:18 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
@netw3rk
the list epic trades danny ainge almost made grows yet again
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2017, 02:27:07 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Apparently the win over Boston without Boogie was one of the things that sent Vivek over the top to trade Boogie lol

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/02/20/demarcus-cousins-trade-kings-pelican-buddy-hield/98145018/

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/833568077929447424?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

A lot of factors for Kings, but recent win over Boston w/out DeMarcus after he was suspended was a flashpoint

Gotta be one of the worst owners in sports.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2017, 02:44:14 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I remember nearly crying when I first heard Durant to GSW - I just felt that he WAS a Celtic, deep down; that this was his true home.

Boogie? I'm strangely serene - and actually wishing him well.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.