Author Topic: NFL 2023-24 Off-Season  (Read 46113 times)

Re: NFL 2023-24 Off-Season
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2024, 12:02:08 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
All depends what team & coach you play for
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2024, 12:23:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Fox Sports draft analyst:

Joel Klatt
@joelklatt
If I were to rank, as prospects, the QBs since 2012 (Andrew Luck, RGIII) here is how they would stack up
1) Caleb Williams
2) Trevor Lawrence
3) Joe Burrow
4) Drake Maye
5) Bryce Young
*note: evaluation of Mahomes was difficult & no QB had suceeded from that offense prior)

I find it interesting that this guy has Maye that high, or that he has Williams over where Lawrence and Burrow were coming out of school.  Recency bias?  It's hard to remember going back a decade, but I remember that guys like Mayfield, Darnold, Winston, etc. were all highly rated.

But, this isn't the first guy I've seen who rates Williams in the same class of prospect as Burrow (stud) and Lawrence (good to very good).

These guys can pretend that they know what is going on in until they are blue in the face. Many thought that Andrew Luck was going to carry his team to multiple championship victories. Some said that Tua or Herbert were worthy of tanking NFL seasons. I've read that Trevor Lawrence is a generational talent (a term that is thrown around frequently, not once a generation).

If I was a Bears fan, I'd get excited about Caleb Williams as well. The Bears (like the Pats) need a lot of work before Caleb can shine. You saw what happened last year at USC. Caleb is a good first step, but he's going to need a lot of help to reach his potential. I'd argue that the rest of the draft is just as important as the Caleb pick.

I think Luck would have had a wildly successful NFL career if he had been healthy.  I don't think the scouts missed on him at all, unless there were medical red flags at the time that were ignored. 

I think Luck was the Bill Walton of the NFL, at least in terms of individual talent.  I don't think you can criticize his selection at #1, or doubt the scouting.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2024, 12:41:45 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Joel Klatt
@joelklatt
If I were to rank, as prospects, the QBs since 2012 (Andrew Luck, RGIII) here is how they would stack up
1) Caleb Williams
2) Trevor Lawrence
3) Joe Burrow
4) Drake Maye
5) Bryce Young
*note: evaluation of Mahomes was difficult & no QB had suceeded from that offense prior)

I find it interesting that this guy has Maye that high, or that he has Williams over where Lawrence and Burrow were coming out of school.  Recency bias?  It's hard to remember going back a decade, but I remember that guys like Mayfield, Darnold, Winston, etc. were all highly rated.

But, this isn't the first guy I've seen who rates Williams in the same class of prospect as Burrow (stud) and Lawrence (good to very good).

These guys can pretend that they know what is going on in until they are blue in the face. Many thought that Andrew Luck was going to carry his team to multiple championship victories. Some said that Tua or Herbert were worthy of tanking NFL seasons. I've read that Trevor Lawrence is a generational talent (a term that is thrown around frequently, not once a generation).

If I was a Bears fan, I'd get excited about Caleb Williams as well. The Bears (like the Pats) need a lot of work before Caleb can shine. You saw what happened last year at USC. Caleb is a good first step, but he's going to need a lot of help to reach his potential. I'd argue that the rest of the draft is just as important as the Caleb pick.

I think Luck would have had a wildly successful NFL career if he had been healthy.  I don't think the scouts missed on him at all, unless there were medical red flags at the time that were ignored. 

I think Luck was the Bill Walton of the NFL, at least in terms of individual talent.  I don't think you can criticize his selection at #1, or doubt the scouting.

Yeah, Luck was fine and had a great career up until his retirement. 

Outside of the injuries, he also had the misfortune of playing in the AFC when it was being dominated by Brady & Manning and just didn't have the team around him to beat either the Pats or Broncos.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2024, 01:50:31 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
If this is the end of him, he managed to do alright for himself.  10 year career & over $140M in career earnings. 

Not too shabby.  I don't think anyone expected that a decade ago.

Also won 2 Super Bowls. Before Mahomes won his 3rd, Jimmy G was up there as one of the only QBs with multiple SB wins besides Brady but then Brady retired too.

Blaine Gabbert the other active QB who has multiple Superbowl wins.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2024, 02:42:52 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
If this is the end of him, he managed to do alright for himself.  10 year career & over $140M in career earnings. 

Not too shabby.  I don't think anyone expected that a decade ago.

Also won 2 Super Bowls. Before Mahomes won his 3rd, Jimmy G was up there as one of the only QBs with multiple SB wins besides Brady but then Brady retired too.

Blaine Gabbert the other active QB who has multiple Superbowl wins.

Yeah but that was after the most recent Chiefs one.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2024, 05:16:40 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

Joel Klatt
@joelklatt
1) Caleb Williams
2) Trevor Lawrence
3) Joe Burrow
4) Drake Maye
5) Bryce Young

Definitely interesting.  Lawrence & Burrow were certainly in another stratosphere.   I remember people being all over the board in the Mayfield draft.  Goff/Wentz was an interesting debate as was Winston/Mariota but there weren't on the same tier as Lawrence or Burrow.  People were real high on Murray which seems to have been forgotten since.

I do wonder how much of the Williams hype is chalked up to analysts being afraid to miss on the potential "next Mahomes".

They certainly were. Burrow threw 60TD’s his senior year and won a national championship. Putting Williams ahead of him is laughable.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2024, 06:04:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Joel Klatt
@joelklatt
1) Caleb Williams
2) Trevor Lawrence
3) Joe Burrow
4) Drake Maye
5) Bryce Young

Definitely interesting.  Lawrence & Burrow were certainly in another stratosphere.   I remember people being all over the board in the Mayfield draft.  Goff/Wentz was an interesting debate as was Winston/Mariota but there weren't on the same tier as Lawrence or Burrow.  People were real high on Murray which seems to have been forgotten since.

I do wonder how much of the Williams hype is chalked up to analysts being afraid to miss on the potential "next Mahomes".

They certainly were. Burrow threw 60TD’s his senior year and won a national championship. Putting Williams ahead of him is laughable.
He also had major injury concerns,  was older, and was on a team loaded with high level NFL draft picks.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2024, 05:31:39 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
The Chiefs' schedule next year does not look too bright-- shouldn't be able to 3peat.

They have the AFC gauntlet to go through at Arrowhead: vs Ravens, Texans, Bengals, and Browns
They also got the Bills on the road.

Oh, and a lovely Superbowl rematch with the 49ers but this time in Santa Clara instead of Vegas.
And another Superbowl rematch at home against the Bucs who did pretty well last year.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2024, 05:49:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Joel Klatt
@joelklatt
1) Caleb Williams
2) Trevor Lawrence
3) Joe Burrow
4) Drake Maye
5) Bryce Young

He also had major injury concerns,  was older, and was on a team loaded with high level NFL draft picks.

If Caleb Williams measures closer to 6' or 5'11" at combine, he will drop out of top slot, probably to no better than 3rd.  Bryce Young was listed as 6' on Bama roster, but measured 5'10"at combine.  He looks small to me on the tape.

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2024, 06:17:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Joel Klatt
@joelklatt
1) Caleb Williams
2) Trevor Lawrence
3) Joe Burrow
4) Drake Maye
5) Bryce Young

If Caleb Williams measures closer to 6' or 5'11" at combine, he will drop out of top slot, probably to no better than 3rd.  Bryce Young was listed as 6' on Bama roster, but measured 5'10"at combine.  He looks small to me on the tape.

And Young still went #1.  So did Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield.  Williams will as well.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2024, 07:14:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Joel Klatt
@joelklatt
1) Caleb Williams
2) Trevor Lawrence
3) Joe Burrow
4) Drake Maye
5) Bryce Young

And Young still went #1.  So did Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield.  Williams will as well.

After what happened in last season's draft, I doubt it.

« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2024, 06:03:56 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

Joel Klatt
@joelklatt
1) Caleb Williams
2) Trevor Lawrence
3) Joe Burrow
4) Drake Maye
5) Bryce Young

After what happened in last season's draft, I doubt it.
The concern with Bryce was more about his overall size than his height.  How the other shorter QBs, like Murray, had a lot stockier frames than Young.  Could a QB with such a small frame survive a full NFL season?  Bryce did a lot of eating to get to 204lbs at the combine which was at least 10 pounds more than his playing weight at Bama.  Bryce ended up playing 16 NFL games taking 62 sacks so he showed his ability to take a hit. 

« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2024, 04:54:05 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
McCarthy seems to be rising on these mock drafts if people pay attention to them. I've seen about 3 of them today that have him in the Top-15 (two in the Top-10). I personally don't see it and it's probably teams being desperate for a QB that's not in the Top-4 for Williams/Daniels/Maye, but I'm obviously no scout or anything.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2024, 12:19:12 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
McCarthy seems to be rising on these mock drafts if people pay attention to them. I've seen about 3 of them today that have him in the Top-15 (two in the Top-10). I personally don't see it and it's probably teams being desperate for a QB that's not in the Top-4 for Williams/Daniels/Maye, but I'm obviously no scout or anything.

I have no issue with McCarthy rising. However, I'm still baffled with Daniels. He is 23, played 5 years in college, and in his senior year, had two of the best receivers in the country.

All I hear about Penix and Nix is their age and number of years in college being a negative. Remember the negative talk about Mac Jones coming out? He only got those numbers because he played with elite receivers. All the signs are there to not take Daniels, yet no one wants to admit it.

« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2024, 12:54:16 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I watched every snap of McCarthy’s career and he has it.  I think scouts are finally catching up with him.  He can make every throw and he can run.  His build is a little slight, but that’s partly because he’s young.  He turned 21 barely a month ago.  His make-up is legit.  The only reason I wouldn’t pick him top 10 is I think he’d be better developed if he didn’t play right away, and you can’t do that with a top 10 pick any more, but I think that’s also true of Drake Maye.

Seattle really hates that he’s shooting up the boards — he’d have totally been their pick at 16.  I expect they’ll trade up for him if they can — that coaching staff knows him well.