Author Topic: roy h. is negative...  (Read 5184 times)

roy h. is negative...
« on: August 23, 2023, 06:01:04 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
and by negative i mean his tommy points are sitting at around -25,789 or so.

that is IMPOSSIBLE for someone who does so much for this place.

so, in this thread i am urging and requesting that everyone in our community shower, spray, inundate, pile on, heap up, pour on, ladle, slather, and generously bestow a tp on him each and every time you see a roy h. post so he can emerge from the depths of negativity and be positive.  ;D

i have been trying to do this on my own but geez louise guys and gals (i assume there at least a few women here), -25K+ tps is a heck of a lot.

but together we can collectively right a wrong.

please join me on my crusade.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Re: roy h. is negative...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 06:06:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Haha, there is nothing incidental about that!

My memory is that the negative TP count was set to mirror the 33,333 posts his old profile had
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 06:08:49 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

My memory is that the negative TP count was set to mirror the 33,333 posts his old profile had

It may have also been to prove a point after the infamous "TP Gate" of long ago.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 06:37:54 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Appreciate this thread. I have in the past made a concerted effort to raise Roy's TP quota but....
In the spirit of Roy's negative TPs, I will instead be giving TPs to posters with whom I disagree with most or otherwise dislike. (TP to the hwangi for the thoughtfulness of this thread, done in the more traditional sense not from my previous stated goal, haha)

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 06:43:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

It may have also been to prove a point after the infamous "TP Gate" of long ago.
BRB, awarding myself 1 million TPs
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2023, 06:52:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

BRB, awarding myself 1 million TPs
and each and every one of them is well deserved.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2023, 07:48:30 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

What was this incident?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 12:51:57 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Roy H. is the Michael Jordan of this forum. I believe this place would be dead without him

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2023, 05:04:30 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Roy is a bit of a prick.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2023, 05:45:56 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I thought Roy was negative because of all the times he had to pay out the degenerate gamblers on this site gambling all their TPs  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2023, 08:00:11 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

What was this incident?

It was a culmination of stuff over the years rather than one event.  Basically, when we first started the TP system, we allowed negative TPs (like a lot of karma systems).  People were using that negative karma system to "vote down" rivals who had a lot of TPs, so that they'd be "winning" in the TP count.  The staff found that distasteful, and Bob Day (RIP) disabled the negative TPs.

Things were fine for awhile, but then we saw "cliques" evolving that would give each other TPs as much as possible, because they saw these as a sign of validation and as being successful.  Discussions of being TP leaders came up, people started creating secondary accounts to TP themselves, etc.  The whole thing was silly, but also very much against the vibe of Tommy Heinsohn.

So, as a gesture to the community, I reset my TPs to -33,333.  The thought was if the most visible member of the forum could be deeply in the negative, then maybe some of the other members would take them less seriously.

========================================

I enjoy the thread, thank you.  But, spread those TPs around to the many others that make this site enjoyable. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2023, 08:00:37 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Roy is a bit of a prick.

True, or at least prickly.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2023, 12:15:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

What was this incident?

It was a culmination of stuff over the years rather than one event.  Basically, when we first started the TP system, we allowed negative TPs (like a lot of karma systems).  People were using that negative karma system to "vote down" rivals who had a lot of TPs, so that they'd be "winning" in the TP count.  The staff found that distasteful, and Bob Day (RIP) disabled the negative TPs.

Things were fine for awhile, but then we saw "cliques" evolving that would give each other TPs as much as possible, because they saw these as a sign of validation and as being successful.  Discussions of being TP leaders came up, people started creating secondary accounts to TP themselves, etc.  The whole thing was silly, but also very much against the vibe of Tommy Heinsohn.

So, as a gesture to the community, I reset my TPs to -33,333.  The thought was if the most visible member of the forum could be deeply in the negative, then maybe some of the other members would take them less seriously.

I enjoy the thread, thank you.  But, spread those TPs around to the many others that make this site enjoyable.

I think we should bring back negative Tommy points (or some way of up voting or down voting a post) I certainly don’t think members of this forum are any less mature than the average user on say Reddit and those do a great job of elevating the best discussions on there.

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2023, 12:25:33 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

What was this incident?

I think we should bring back negative Tommy points (or some way of up voting or down voting a post) I certainly don’t think members of this forum are any less mature than the average user on say Reddit and those do a great job of elevating the best discussions on there.
please do not bring back the evil, pernicious, dastardly, and nasty negative tps. i was here during the time roy wrote about. it was brutish and competitive and all around unpleasant as people would subtract tps simply because they disagreed or disliked someone.

it was petty and not nice at all.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2023, 12:28:48 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

What was this incident?

please do not bring back the evil, pernicious, dastardly, and nasty negative tps. i was here during the time roy wrote about. it was brutish and competitive and all around unpleasant as people would subtract tps simply because they disagreed or disliked someone.

it was petty and not nice at all.

Yeah.  They're not coming back as long as Donoghus and myself are here.  I assume goukki agrees as well.