Author Topic: Alexis Ajinca?  (Read 2393 times)

Alexis Ajinca?
« on: June 11, 2015, 05:11:58 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If it looks like the C's aren't going to get a chance at name center, is Ajinca worth checking out?
I don't know what he will cost us, being a FA. (2 or 3 million a year)?

Besides the feeling that he isn't really a phisical type, he has some strong points to his game. Many think he has more upside remaining. He's 27. agile and very long  7'

Is he better than going into the season with Zeller being the man in the middle, with no backup?

Re: Alexis Ajinca?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 05:21:44 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I won't be against signing him, he played great for NO.

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 05:23:57 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I think Ajinca is an underrated option as a backup center, and a decent option as a starter if we can't get any top targets. He's 27, but his game is still developing. He spent a couple of seasons in Europe after washing out of the NBA because even though he was a big man he kept jacking up threes and had no post game. He developed his inside game in Europe and came back as a new player. He has some very good offensive tools and put up great numbers while Anthony Davis was out last season. He was regularly putting up double doubles and a few blocks per game while starting. If the price is right, I would add him, but NO is very interested in keeping him.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 05:52:56 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
True, if we have no other options at the center position, or we sign a hot shot SF or PF. (fingers crossed)

Let him and Zeller compete for the start. At least we add some rim protection, and scoring.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
I think Ajinca is an underrated option as a backup center, and a decent option as a starter if we can't get any top targets. He's 27, but his game is still developing. He spent a couple of seasons in Europe after washing out of the NBA because even though he was a big man he kept jacking up threes and had no post game. He developed his inside game in Europe and came back as a new player. He has some very good offensive tools and put up great numbers while Anthony Davis was out last season. He was regularly putting up double doubles and a few blocks per game while starting. If the price is right, I would add him, but NO is very interested in keeping him.

Isn't Asik there starting center? He is FA too, maybe they don't want both.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 06:02:16 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Isn't Asik there starting center? He is FA too, maybe they don't want both.

Yeah, Asik was their starting C, but Ajinca filled in for Anthony Davis even though he was a backup C when Davis was healthy. On the NO fan boards, they had a poll on what to do with Asik and Ajinca. Most fans wanted to keep Ajinca and let Asik go.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 08:34:21 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 06:54:48 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Ajinca > Asik

Trouble is NOP knows this too.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 08:21:04 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Im guessing Ajinca or Asik will be a Celtic
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 08:37:50 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004

I'd be happy with either at this point, especially Ajinca if we can get him cheap.  Center has been a position of need for far too long.

I'm impressed with the growth of Ajinca's game over the years.  He has one of the worst tattoos in the history of basketball mankind though.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 10:46:29 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I feel Ajinca would be a good rotation big.  Maybe not an ideal starter, but might be an upgrade over Zeller defensively.  Remember that the Bulls did very well by rotating 3 rather mediocre centers.  They key is that they don't hurt you while they are out there. 

Then again Bulls had transcendent talent in Jordan, Pippen, + 3rd star (Kukoc, Grant, etc.)
As long as he doesn't cost a lot, I'm in favor of adding Ajinca.  Perhaps our future starter at the 5 will arrive through the draft, but most likely he won't be ready to start as a rookie.

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 11:20:10 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Does your crystal ball give the amount of years and money for them?
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby