Author Topic: Theoretical summer trade question  (Read 4366 times)

Theoretical summer trade question
« on: March 22, 2023, 01:50:01 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Marcus Smart is set to make $18,583,713 next season and Payton Pritchard set to make $4,037,278 (both per Spotrac):  totaling $22,620,991

Brad will probably grant Payton's wish this summer and trade him, but what if he was willing to add Marcus to the trade?

Who would you target if you could take back $22.6 million in salary?

Re: Theoretical summer trade question
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 01:58:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Marcus Smart is set to make $18,583,713 next season and Payton Pritchard set to make $4,037,278 (both per Spotrac):  totaling $22,620,991

Brad will probably grant Payton's wish this summer and trade him, but what if he was willing to add Marcus to the trade?

Who would you target if you could take back $22.6 million in salary?

We'd actually be able to take back up to $28,376,238, as we can "match" up to 125% + $100k on an incoming contract.

I don't know who I'd want, though.  Julius Randle? ;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 03:51:23 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Jarrett Allen

Myles Turner

Jaren Jackson Jr

Jalen Brunson

Jerami Grant   sign and trade

Domantas Sabonis

OG Anunoby

Lauri Markkanen

Not sure why any of these teams would trade straight up for just Marcus Smart, C's would have to sweeten the deal of course

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 03:58:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I don’t think we should trade jaylens best friend on the team the year before he becomes a free agent.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 04:10:08 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
I don’t think we should trade jaylens best friend on the team the year before he becomes a free agent.

Good point.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 04:36:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Trade 'em both for Dame :P
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 05:30:28 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I wonder if Rudy Gobert would be available. Maybe Smart, Robert Williams, and a first.

I like Marcus, but sometimes his ego gets in the way, with him believing he is part of a big 3. We already have White and Brogdon at the same position.

As for Williams, the guy is simply unreliable as far as being on the court. The only saving grace is the fact that a 36 year old Al Horford is still a reliable player. At some point, that ship will sail.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 05:42:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I wonder if Rudy Gobert would be available. Maybe Smart, Robert Williams, and a first.

I like Marcus, but sometimes his ego gets in the way, with him believing he is part of a big 3. We already have White and Brogdon at the same position.

As for Williams, the guy is simply unreliable as far as being on the court. The only saving grace is the fact that a 36 year old Al Horford is still a reliable player. At some point, that ship will sail.

I don’t know.  Gobert seems pretty unengaged in Minnesota, and his numbers are really down.  I wouldn’t have much interest.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 06:28:39 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I don’t know.  Gobert seems pretty unengaged in Minnesota, and his numbers are really down.  I wouldn’t have much interest.
Gobert is overrated.  His defense isn't so vaunted in the playoffs.  He's also making 38M with 3 more seasons on his contract.  That's way too much to commit to any defensive player.  Need to pay Tatum and Brown.  If Brown should walk, definitely don't want 40M tied up in Gobert. 

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 12:30:18 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
You don't trade Smart to shuffle the deck. You cannot possibly have enough perimeter defenders, and the answer to "who's the fifth starter as Horford gets old" is just putting White in the starting lineup next to Smart and letting Rob/Al platoon the center position. If you somehow needed Smart to get a trade over the line that puts, like, Doncic next to the Jays (which isn't happening) then we can talk, but you don't move him for the sake of looking like you did something.

This summer isn't that hard, provided Jaylen makes an all-NBA team. Supermax Brown, make a pick in the 30s on draft night, package Pritchard and Gallo for a backup swingman, re-sign Grant, and otherwise use what contracts you can offer to add a veteran or two to the bench. That's all you have to do.

It only gets complicated if Jaylen can't be extended.

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2023, 12:40:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Let me ask this, who would bring back a better player (or require us to add less sweetener):

Smart + Pritchard
White + Pritchard

It might be an opportunity to sell high on White.

For the record, I am not looking to trade either White or Smart, unless it would bring back a starting level PF to be Al's replacement.

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2023, 12:53:19 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
Let me ask this, who would bring back a better player (or require us to add less sweetener):

Smart + Pritchard
White + Pritchard

It might be an opportunity to sell high on White.

For the record, I am not looking to trade either White or Smart, unless it would bring back a starting level PF to be Al's replacement.

I don't even think I would do that, unless we're suddenly talking about building a Siakam package around White and picks (which I don't think is possible). I'm not moving White for a John Collins or Brandon Clarke or Jerami Grant. Guys who can defend on the perimeter and put the ball on the floor to create are just too valuable. White is Al's replacement.

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2023, 12:54:42 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would say you don't.   

Trading Pritchard for a 1st round pick (and an end of the bench vet) would likely help this team longer term with adding cheap contracts (and hopefully, depth)

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2023, 12:59:15 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I understand the trade Smart thinking.  He will be 30 next year and will start losing a step.  His Defense is is calling card.  His D this year has regressed IMO and it might be time to cash in for a better fit.  White Brogden, Smart, PP.  Glutton of guards.  I love Smart.  He will always be one of my favorite Celtics but the C's need another go to scorer with size.  SF/PF that can play with the J's.  I know people think he's over rated but talent level wise he fits and salary with Marcus he fits.  John Collins.  Another is Julius Randall. a small contract would need added for either deal.  The dream fit that will never happen is JJJ.  He'd be unbelievable on this team.  An under the radar player is Brandon Clarke from Memphis.  The final player that I'd love and have always loved but would never trade for because It's Ainge is Markkanen

PG - White/Brogdon
SG - Brown
SF - Tatum
PF - Collins or Randall
C - Rob/Al

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2023, 01:09:59 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
White Brogden, Smart, PP.  Glutton of guards.

Not really. Pritchard is overqualified to be a fourth guard (really fifth, including JB), and is likely to be laundered into a swingman or some seconds this summer, but otherwise that's two starting guards and the literal sixth man of the year. There's no problem there, and two-way perimeter players are the most valuable archetype in the league.