Author Topic: JB Ringer Article  (Read 6210 times)

Re: JB Ringer Article
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2023, 12:50:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
We are expecting him to be on the all nba team are we not? I would be surprised if he turned down the extension. If management is dumb enough not to offer the max then he will walk as he should.
I'm not sure he will make it.  There are a lot of deserving guard and wing candidates.  He certainly could make it, but it is far from a given.

Boston sliding out of the #1 seed hurts Jaylen's All-NBA chances.

I agree. If we can recapture 1 seed, and he continues to play well, AND he can be voted in as a forward, he has good shot.  Stars need to align.

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2023, 12:51:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We are expecting him to be on the all nba team are we not? I would be surprised if he turned down the extension. If management is dumb enough not to offer the max then he will walk as he should.
I'm not sure he will make it.  There are a lot of deserving guard and wing candidates.  He certainly could make it, but it is far from a given.

It does.   It's hard to tell what voters will do.

If he's a forward, then Giannis/Tatum are locks.  Durant/Lebron/Davis/Kawhi are huge question marks based upon games played.  Even outside of those guys, he's competing with Randall, Markannen, Butler and Siakim.

If he's a guard, then it's Doncic, Lillard, SGA, Curry, Booker, Kyrie, Mitchell, Morant and Young all scoring more than JB.  There are some games played issues, as well as controversy for Morant and Kyrie.  Behind Jaylen in scoring, but ahead in assists, are guys like Fox and Brunson.

So, I'd say it's very debatable. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2023, 01:08:13 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Brown looked very happy after the game last night. Seemed enthusiastic about the team.  Maybe it was completely unscripted, but it felt a little bit like he wanted to remind us that he has bought in.

I think he's a sensitive guy. I think the trade rumors and the criticism from the fans and media have really bothered him.  He probably does love being on this team, and being in Boston (for the most part), but he's worried about being burned just like the fans are worried about being burned.

Jaylen is still a very young man. He's under a lot of pressure although he's still at an age where he doesn't yet know how the world works. And how his words can have unintented adverse effects. I would be shocked if the Celtics don't offer him whatever full max contract they can. I hope Brad gets out ahead of this and gives him whatever assurances he needs, while also letting him know that his vague comments will be weaponized by the media and become a distraction to the team,  which is just going to lead to more collective unhappiness.  Horford and some of the other vets would be a big help here too.

I can understand why he would be disgruntled about certain matters. But if he's bringing positive energy to the situation it will be a lot better for the team and for his future here.

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2023, 01:08:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

If he's a forward, then Giannis/Tatum are locks.  Durant/Lebron/Davis/Kawhi are huge question marks based upon games played.  Even outside of those guys, he's competing with Randall, Markannen, Butler and Siakim.

If he's a guard, then it's Doncic, Lillard, SGA, Curry, Booker, Kyrie, Mitchell, Morant and Young all scoring more than JB.  There are some games played issues, as well as controversy for Morant and Kyrie.  Behind Jaylen in scoring, but ahead in assists, are guys like Fox and Brunson.

I don't think Brown makes it.  I think it would be hard to keep a guy like Markannen off the list given just how well the Jazz have played this year and I'd be very surprised if Randall didn't make it.  I do think there will be voters that still vote for Durant and James even with the games missed (same with Leonard and Davis).  Not sure either gets enough votes to make the team, but they could affect who makes it.  And if DeRozan was actually counted as a forward (like he should be), I think he'll get votes.

Brown has basically no shot at guard.  You don't even have Harden listed who is basically 21/11/6 as the 2nd option on a team in the same general range as the C's.  Heck even Garland might get votes over Brown (I wouldn't, but some people might). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2023, 01:20:32 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo

I agree. If we can recapture 1 seed, and he continues to play well, AND he can be voted in as a forward, he has good shot.  Stars need to align.

You have to wonder if the team's recent struggles have factored into his frustration.  I'm sure he's aware of how his all-NBA status  relates to the value of his next contract, and how the team's position in the standings affects his all-NBA position.

A couple months ago, that supermax contract looked highly likely, and now it's much more uncertain.  The timing of these comments is not a coincidence.

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2023, 01:43:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I don't think Brown makes it.  I think it would be hard to keep a guy like Markannen off the list given just how well the Jazz have played this year and I'd be very surprised if Randall didn't make it.  I do think there will be voters that still vote for Durant and James even with the games missed (same with Leonard and Davis).  Not sure either gets enough votes to make the team, but they could affect who makes it.  And if DeRozan was actually counted as a forward (like he should be), I think he'll get votes.

Brown has basically no shot at guard.  You don't even have Harden listed who is basically 21/11/6 as the 2nd option on a team in the same general range as the C's.  Heck even Garland might get votes over Brown (I wouldn't, but some people might).

Yeah, I left off Jrue, as well.  He doesn't necessarily have flashy numbers, just really good ones.  But, being an elite defender and second best player on the best team will appeal to many.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2023, 01:47:58 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo

Yeah, I left off Jrue, as well.  He doesn't necessarily have flashy numbers, just really good ones.  But, being an elite defender and second best player on the best team will appeal to many.
[/b]

Lol  TP

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2023, 01:48:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Deadline’s Matt Grobar relates that Brown is linking up with M88, an agency that represents “storytellers, actors, writers, and multi-hyphenates.”

The change is a shift away from Brown’s previous relationship with Donda Sports, which he left this past October after controversy surrounding Donda founder Ye (formerly, Kanye West) dominated the news cycle, particularly given, as Grobar notes, “Brown continues to be repped by Jason Glushon of Glushon Sports Management and The Lede Company.”

The Georgia native is reportedly the first athlete to work with M88, which aims “to create and develop opportunities for Brown in both the entertainment and strategic partnership spaces” the Cal-Berkeley alum frequently turns his off-court endeavors towards.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jaylen-brown-represented-m88-first-171914705.html

https://deadline.com/2023/03/jaylen-brown-boston-celtics-m88-1235306979/

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2023, 03:11:41 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Looking at the pool, I actually like his odds if he's considered a forward.

Tatum/Giannis/Markkanen/Randle all feel like locks, leaving 2 spots.  I don't think there's any way Durant/Davis/Kawhi are making the team due to games (not to say they won't get a few votes).  LeBron depends on how many games he gets.  So whose left to take a spot from Brown? 

Butler (3rd team last year), a little better stats from last year, but team much worse.  Compared to Jaylen has worse team and worse raw stats.  Great advanced stats though.

DeRozen (2nd team last year).  Worse stats and worse team than last year.  Compared to Jaylen, worse team and worse raw stats, slightly better advanced stats.

Siakam (3rd team least year). Better stats but worse team than last year.  Compared to Jaylen, worse team and worse raw stats.  Also should be considered a Center this year.

LeBron (3rd team last year).  About the same stats and his team is better than last year (but still not good).  Compared to Jaylen, better stats but worse team.  Breaking the scoring record probably helps too. After tonight (out) he has 9 games left, playing all 9 gets him to 56 total (the same he had last year making 3rd team).  The more games he plays the better his chances.  5 or more games gets him in for sure I think, less than 3 I think he's out. If he plays 3-4 games who knows.

George - compared to Jaylen. has worse raw stats,worse team, and a more disappointing team (though due partially to injuries).  He's been riddled with injuries the last few years, but he's production has been steady year-to-year

It's a 4-6 man race for 2 spots.  Of all those candidates,  Jaylen's on the best team, has the best raw stats (besides LeBron), showing an improvement in production too (this is why I was mentioning players' prior years stats, not that it's considered in voting, but I think voters do look at if players took a step forward or backward).   None are on overachieving teams (which usually helps), most are on underachieving teams (which hurts).

If LeBron gets the games, I think it's LeBron and Jaylen.  If LeBron doesn't get the games, I think it's Jaylen and Butler.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2023, 04:15:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Looking at the pool, I actually like his odds if he's considered a forward.

Tatum/Giannis/Markkanen/Randle all feel like locks, leaving 2 spots.  I don't think there's any way Durant/Davis/Kawhi are making the team due to games (not to say they won't get a few votes).  LeBron depends on how many games he gets.  So whose left to take a spot from Brown? 

Butler (3rd team last year), a little better stats from last year, but team much worse.  Compared to Jaylen has worse team and worse raw stats.  Great advanced stats though.

DeRozen (2nd team last year).  Worse stats and worse team than last year.  Compared to Jaylen, worse team and worse raw stats, slightly better advanced stats.

Siakam (3rd team least year). Better stats but worse team than last year.  Compared to Jaylen, worse team and worse raw stats.  Also should be considered a Center this year.

LeBron (3rd team last year).  About the same stats and his team is better than last year (but still not good).  Compared to Jaylen, better stats but worse team.  Breaking the scoring record probably helps too. After tonight (out) he has 9 games left, playing all 9 gets him to 56 total (the same he had last year making 3rd team).  The more games he plays the better his chances.  5 or more games gets him in for sure I think, less than 3 I think he's out. If he plays 3-4 games who knows.

George - compared to Jaylen. has worse raw stats,worse team, and a more disappointing team (though due partially to injuries).  He's been riddled with injuries the last few years, but he's production has been steady year-to-year

It's a 4-6 man race for 2 spots.  Of all those candidates,  Jaylen's on the best team, has the best raw stats (besides LeBron), showing an improvement in production too (this is why I was mentioning players' prior years stats, not that it's considered in voting, but I think voters do look at if players took a step forward or backward).   None are on overachieving teams (which usually helps), most are on underachieving teams (which hurts).

If LeBron gets the games, I think it's LeBron and Jaylen.  If LeBron doesn't get the games, I think it's Jaylen and Butler.
Brown may end up with more guard votes than forward votes though and end up not making it for that reason.

« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2023, 05:14:03 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Last season, Brown received 3 3rd team votes, all at Forward.  I think that is odd.  I think he is clearly a guard.  He could certainly play forward but it seems pretty clear to me that his natural position is guard.  There are a few players like him, Butler, DeRozan, who seem to get forward votes when they arguably are guards.

In any case, I think there are at least 6 guards who will get more votes:

Curry
Doncic
Morant
Mitchell
Lillard
Young

And a handful more that could be ahead of him in the eyes of voters (Booker, Holiday, SGA, Harden, Brunson, Irving).

At forward, also 6 that are likely ahead of him

Butler
Tatum
Giannis
James
Davis
Randle

with more in the hunt (Markkanen, Sabonis, Adebayo, Leonard, Durant).

If I was a voter, I would have him in the say 6-8 range at both guard or forward.  So there is a chance, but a tough one.  And I suspect that the 100 random sportswriters and broadcasters probably have him lower than I have him.

If he gets the All NBA selection, it certainly makes him taking an extension much more likely.  Without the supermax eligibility, he would have to take much less money but could get player option years which allows him to get back into a richer market sooner.  That really isn't as bad an option for him as most seem to be assuming.

« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2023, 07:06:43 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
Brown like a lot guys in today’s league doesn’t have a natural position, he’s your classic swing man. If we are about rewarding guys with good seasons he should be voted as a forward. I think that will be the case considering the guys at guard in front of him.

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2023, 07:22:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Last season, Brown received 3 3rd team votes, all at Forward.  I think that is odd.  I think he is clearly a guard.  He could certainly play forward but it seems pretty clear to me that his natural position is guard.  There are a few players like him, Butler, DeRozan, who seem to get forward votes when they arguably are guards.

Curry
Doncic
Morant
Mitchell
Lillard
Young

And a handful more that could be ahead of him in the eyes of voters (Booker, Holiday, SGA, Harden, Brunson, Irving).

Butler
Tatum
Giannis
James
Davis
Randle

If I was a voter, I would have him in the say 6-8 range at both guard or forward.  So there is a chance, but a tough one.  And I suspect that the 100 random sportswriters and broadcasters probably have him lower than I have him.

If he gets the All NBA selection, it certainly makes him taking an extension much more likely.  Without the supermax eligibility, he would have to take much less money but could get player option years which allows him to get back into a richer market sooner.  That really isn't as bad an option for him as most seem to be assuming.

You forgot SGA, he clearly is making all NBA as a guard.

I think Jaylen is having better year than Trae Young.  I think Jaylen could squeeze into last guard spot.  He is averaging 7 rebounds a game, which is really good for a guard.  He has the 2nd highest scoring average of all shooting guards, trailing only Donovan Mitchell by 0.7 points a game.

Jaylen having better year than Butler, and Heat are ho hum, but Butler make garner more votes. Having Tatum as teammate dilutes votes for JB.  Could argue that Lebron has missed too many games to be voted in, but the LA base of voters will probably get him in, plus he had a great year.

Looking very unlikely we will catch up to Bucks, being 3 games behind in the loss column. Those last two losses (Rockets and Jazz) really hurt, and could spell the difference to JB not making all NBA. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 07:39:49 PM by footey »

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2023, 09:11:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Curry
Doncic
Morant
Mitchell
Lillard
Young

Butler
Tatum
Giannis
James
Davis
Randle

You forgot SGA, he clearly is making all NBA as a guard.

I think Jaylen is having better year than Trae Young.  I think Jaylen could squeeze into last guard spot.  He is averaging 7 rebounds a game, which is really good for a guard.  He has the 2nd highest scoring average of all shooting guards, trailing only Donovan Mitchell by 0.7 points a game.

Jaylen having better year than Butler, and Heat are ho hum, but Butler make garner more votes. Having Tatum as teammate dilutes votes for JB.  Could argue that Lebron has missed too many games to be voted in, but the LA base of voters will probably get him in, plus he had a great year.

Looking very unlikely we will catch up to Bucks, being 3 games behind in the loss column. Those last two losses (Rockets and Jazz) really hurt, and could spell the difference to JB not making all NBA.
Harden is pretty clearly ahead of Brown.  Teams are about the same, both are 2nd options, but Harden far out produces him on the whole because of the assists.  Harden is a real difference maker as a passer.  The best skill of either player by a pretty wide margin.

« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2023, 07:13:52 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'd like to see Haliburton make the All-NBA team. He may be a long shot because of the Pacers W-L record but they have been such a pleasant surprise this season and a lot of that has been because of Haliburton. They are 28 wins 26 losses with Haliburton compared to 5 wins 14 losses without him. Easily in the playoff picture if not for injuries. 20.8ppg and 10.4apg with freak level efficiency.

SGA is a lock for an All-NBA spot. 31ppg 5apg 5rpg. 51% FG% for a guard with high TS% thanks to his FT attempts (11 per game).

Donovan Mitchell has had a great season. 27ppg 61% TS% 4.5apg 4rpg. He is a lock.

I don't see Trae Young making it. He hasn't had that good of a season. His team has struggled largely because of the fault of their front office and not him but he is paying for their mistakes. Dejounte Murray should never have been acquired.

Ja Morant is a maybe for me.

I agree with Moranis that Harden has outplayed Jaylen on the season but Harden has been overlooked most of the season so he may not get credit for that. Another maybe.

Steph is a lock for the first team.

I don't have Luka as a guard. He is a forward on my ballot. Dinwiddie and Kyrie have been their PGs. Not Luka. A point forward rather than a point guard. Like Magic was early in his career next to Norm Nixon. Luka has played some off guard but he has played a lot of forward as well and that is typically where he defends. So I have him at forward rather than guard.

Devin Booker should be on the teams as well.

So that is Steph and either Donovan Mitchell or SGA on the first team with the other taking the top spot on the 2nd team. I'd have Haliburton on that 2nd team but that is a minority opinion. Whatever chance he has it'll be for the 3rd team. Then Booker 3rd team alongside either Morant or Harden.

I don't have Jaylen making on my imaginary ballot as a guard. 

Edit: Oh crap, I forgot Lillard! My mistake. Lillard should be first team All-NBA. Then Mitchell and SGA 2nd team. I'd love to see Haliburton on the 3rd team with D Booker alongside him. Honourable mention to Morant and Harden. Jaylen would then be further back behind both of them.