Author Topic: JB Ringer Article  (Read 6202 times)

JB Ringer Article
« on: March 21, 2023, 10:57:43 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2023/3/21/23639331/jaylen-brown-nba-boston-celtics

First off, great work by the ringer. They do such good work on these player profiles.

What are people’s thoughts on JB’s answers to the staying in Boston/playing with JT questions?

To me, it’s hard to know how to read him here. He’s certainly non-commital, but I get the sense that this is more political speak than anything. That is, (1) he’s setting himself up to demand the supermax if eligible (which I think we absolutely will/should offer), and (2) he wants to avoid a Kyrie situation if he leaves and not looked at at going back on his word.

So it sounds to me like a lot of it will come down to what offer we give him, though I doubt there’s any consideration of less than a max for him at this point. I think that’s what he’s getting at when he says feeling respected.

I don’t get the sense that this is a major red flag or anything where we should be trading him this summer. But, I do think it gives a pretty clear indication of what Brown expects for his next contract based on his own perceived value, and we better not mess around and try to lowball him.

Re: JB Ringer Article
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 11:07:41 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Really hope we re-sign him. He is the absolute definition of a keeper

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 11:08:59 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I can't see the team lowballing him.  he's a high-quality player -- an All-star and all-NBA candidate.  this is the type of player we wanted to get with those Brooklyn picks and actually got.  you don't risk losing that kind of player over being cheap.  pay the man.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 11:14:13 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
It is coming down to the offer. That is how players equate respect and being needed.

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 11:25:57 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think JB is a fantastic player, and I find a lot of the things he says to be quite interesting.  I wish they were explored more by the media. 

But...  it's hard not to come back to quotes like these:

“Kyrie is one of those people who isn’t afraid of being wrong,” Brown says. “He isn’t afraid of being embarrassed. He’s not afraid of big moments either, doing great things. He’s one of those people that’s special. We see him at the top of the world, and we see him make some mistakes as well. But I appreciate the fact that the fear factor for him, even though he might have been afraid, didn’t stop him from doing or saying what he felt was right, for what he felt he needed to do. And that doesn’t exist in 99 percent of people. So, people can say what they want about Kyrie Irving, but he’s definitely my friend.”

When I broach the topic of Ye to Brown in Boston, the guard quickly declines to comment. “I don’t want to answer that question,” he says. “I don’t want to answer that.”

I wish JB would address the issue of why it's okay for Kyrie or Kanye to be casually racist, if we're in a word that values equality.  I don't think that it makes somebody special to say whatever they want without a filter.  So many of those people who "tell it like it is" are intolerant jerks.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 11:36:56 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
As for his commitment, obviously nothing is ever binding (Kyrie), but I was actually encouraged by the interview:

“I don’t know. As long as I’m needed. It’s not up to me,” he says. “We’ll see how they feel about me over time and I feel about them over time. Hopefully, whatever it is, it makes sense. But I will stay where I’m wanted. I will stay where I’m needed and treated correct.”

To me, it sounds like if the franchise is willing to commit to him, he's going to commit back to them.  We'll see.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 12:10:17 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
That’s a great article, TP for posting it. Some things that I found interesting:

Jaylen states that he and Kyrie didn’t get along at all when he was in Boston. They became friends after he left.

He states that he hasn’t spoken to Udoka but hopes that he gets another chance to coach.

I didn’t realize that Smart was his best friend on the team.

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 12:12:03 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
It is coming down to the offer. That is how employees equate respect and being needed.

fixed that for you.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 12:13:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
If Jaylen doesn't plan on staying here beyond 2024, would you consider trading him in a package to get Jimmy Butler from Miami if that thing starts to spiral a bit? Tatum and Butler the #1 and #2?

(NOTE: I want Tatum and Jaylen here for life btw, but just throwing out ideas)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 12:51:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
If Jaylen doesn't plan on staying here beyond 2024, would you consider trading him in a package to get Jimmy Butler from Miami if that thing starts to spiral a bit? Tatum and Butler the #1 and #2?

Need somebody younger than butler for brown to pair with Tatum. Bam would actually make more sense. Brown for butler would be like the Chris Webber Mitch Richmond trade.

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 12:57:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Butler is better than Brown, but I wouldn't do a 1 for 1 trade there.  now if it was Butler and Herro, I'd probably do that (obviously if you could Bam you do that in an instant as well). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 01:11:12 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

Butler is better than Brown, but I wouldn't do a 1 for 1 trade there.  now if it was Butler and Herro, I'd probably do that (obviously if you could Bam you do that in an instant as well).

I’d look elsewhere than Miami if we absolutely have to trade him.

I think you have to gauge Minny for KAT and then check in with Philly about Embiid, who I think gets to the point of being disgruntled with another early exit. Though we’d need more and probably a third team if Philly changes directions.

Minny would seemingly make the most sense given that the Gobert/KAT pairing looks questionable. But a threesome of Brown, Edwards, and Gobert would certainly be interesting. Not sure how Brown would feel about committing to yet another team with a younger, higher-ceiling star, though.

For us, KAT would seemingly fit in great long-term next to JT, and we’d be better able to utilize our great guard depth. A starting lineup of Smart, White, Tatum, KAT and Timelord is formidable.

Granted, option 1 should remain keeping Brown long-term.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2023, 01:11:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

Need somebody younger than butler for brown to pair with Tatum. Bam would actually make more sense. Brown for butler would be like the Chris Webber Mitch Richmond trade.

Bam would be cool. Potential Horford replacement down the road too
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2023, 01:26:11 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think JB is a fantastic player, and I find a lot of the things he says to be quite interesting.  I wish they were explored more by the media. 

But...  it's hard not to come back to quotes like these:

“Kyrie is one of those people who isn’t afraid of being wrong,” Brown says. “He isn’t afraid of being embarrassed. He’s not afraid of big moments either, doing great things. He’s one of those people that’s special. We see him at the top of the world, and we see him make some mistakes as well. But I appreciate the fact that the fear factor for him, even though he might have been afraid, didn’t stop him from doing or saying what he felt was right, for what he felt he needed to do. And that doesn’t exist in 99 percent of people. So, people can say what they want about Kyrie Irving, but he’s definitely my friend.”

When I broach the topic of Ye to Brown in Boston, the guard quickly declines to comment. “I don’t want to answer that question,” he says. “I don’t want to answer that.”

I wish JB would address the issue of why it's okay for Kyrie or Kanye to be casually racist, if we're in a word that values equality.  I don't think that it makes somebody special to say whatever they want without a filter.  So many of those people who "tell it like it is" are intolerant jerks.

He doesn't say that at all. He explains in this article that his issue with Kyrie's suspension was that it was in violation of the CBA and that in his position with the player's union, he has to have the players' best interest in mind.

In the particular quote you pulled, I don't get the sense he's saying Kyrie is special because he speaks without a filter, but that he's special for being willing to speak even if he may be proven wrong and for what he does for his community. Love him or hate him, he does do a lot.

As far as Kanye, the referral back the statement he released when he left Donda Sports is telling. He said what he has to say on it: he denounced antisemitism and said that Kanye's comments don't align with his personal values. What more is he supposed to say on the matter that would appease people? At this point, it seems as if some are trying to hold him responsible for someone else's actions

As for the rest of the article, I wish they would've went more in depth on his sneaker free agency. He calls out Nike for corporate practices, but still primarily wears Nike when playing. If he's concerned about his next endorsement deal allowing him space to pursue off-court interests, why not partner with one of the lesser known minority-owned businesses that have shown interest in the past few years?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023, 01:30:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I’d look elsewhere than Miami if we absolutely have to trade him.

I think you have to gauge Minny for KAT and then check in with Philly about Embiid, who I think gets to the point of being disgruntled with another early exit. Though we’d need more and probably a third team if Philly changes directions.

Minny would seemingly make the most sense given that the Gobert/KAT pairing looks questionable. But a threesome of Brown, Edwards, and Gobert would certainly be interesting. Not sure how Brown would feel about committing to yet another team with a younger, higher-ceiling star, though.

For us, KAT would seemingly fit in great long-term next to JT, and we’d be better able to utilize our great guard depth. A starting lineup of Smart, White, Tatum, KAT and Timelord is formidable.

Granted, option 1 should remain keeping Brown long-term.
I might look at shorter term options honestly (which Butler is).  I mean I would consider something like Lillard and Sharpe for Brown and Smart, as an example (maybe add Nurkic and Gallo).  Not saying I'd do that, but I wouldn't just totally rule it out either. 

If the Lakers do flame out, maybe a Brown for Davis swap could be in play.  Davis is obviously very injury prone, but he is a mega talent.  That would be an interesting trade in theory.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip