Poll

Who should have the Celtics drafted

Smart
23 (62.2%)
Randle
14 (37.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Poll: Re-Draft Marcus or Julius  (Read 6186 times)

Poll: Re-Draft Marcus or Julius
« on: March 13, 2023, 04:58:37 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

You are supposed to draft for upside and i always thought Randle at 6'8" 250 pounds with a great handle, strength and is a plus athlete. Thought he had the most upside.

Results are in now. Nine years later who do you got? I think Randle, Tatum,  Brown  would be good. Just hard to share the ball.

I thought it was an easy decision to, but that's just me.

Re: Poll: Re-Draft Marcus or Julius
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 05:36:04 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
This is interesting. I voted Randle just because be have White and Brogdon now.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 06:14:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I doubt Randle would still be here as he would have priced himself out, though that is why Randle is the better pick.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 07:24:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Could have traded Randle for something sweet
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 07:35:10 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's a hard call for me.  Marcus is an extremely frustrating player.  But, he has intangibles that add to a team, at least when he's being coached up.

Randle is on his third team, and at various points even the Knicks have been willing to trade him.  It's why a guy with All-NBA numbers is making $23.7 million this year:  his effort and attitude have been spotty. 

If we draft Randle, we probably never sign (or trade for) Horford.  It's questionable if we could have kept him.  Even then, I'm not sure how well he would have built our defensive identity, or how he would have accepted being a third option on offense (or a second option, with JB being third).

I guess I'll take the bird in the hand.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 07:54:14 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I'd stick with Marcus. He's one of those high standard deviation type players where he takes high risk plays which can turn a game when they come off, but look stupid when they don't. But I think the net gain we get from Marcus because he's an amplifying type player that might not be great on his own but can make those around him better and inspire them to be better. And we can never question Smartacus's heart and mongrel mentality. I'm sure most teams around the league would love to have a Marcus Smart type player at $17m a season.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 02:53:05 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
It's a hard call for me.  Marcus is an extremely frustrating player.  But, he has intangibles that add to a team, at least when he's being coached up.

Randle is on his third team, and at various points even the Knicks have been willing to trade him.  It's why a guy with All-NBA numbers is making $23.7 million this year:  his effort and attitude have been spotty. 

If we draft Randle, we probably never sign (or trade for) Horford.  It's questionable if we could have kept him.  Even then, I'm not sure how well he would have built our defensive identity, or how he would have accepted being a third option on offense (or a second option, with JB being third).

I don't believe you believe this.  A team with Randle, Tatum,  Brown,  is better than A Smart, Brown,  Tatum team. Period.

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 03:03:31 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

I don't believe you believe this.  A team with Randle, Tatum,  Brown,  is better than A Smart, Brown,  Tatum team. Period.

This is such a problematic assumption, though - we simply don’t know if we’d even have these players if we took Randle instead of Smart. Who’s to say that without Smart we still take Brown instead of Dunn in 16, or even Fultz instead of Tatum in 17? Or do we even keep Randle as long as we have with Smart?

You seem to be asking two different questions - (a) should’ve we have drafted Smart or Randle, and (b) would we better by switching Smart and Randle right now.

To me, for (a) I completely agree that I take Smart via the whole “a bird in the hand” philosophy. Who knows what this team would look like right now if we took Randle, and I hardly think it would look better both short and long-term than it does now. As for (b), that’s more debatable. I think given the current roster setup, Randle does reasonably make us better right now given our plethora of guards and need for a long-term 4.

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 03:10:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

You are supposed to draft for upside and i always thought Randle at 6'8" 250 pounds with a great handle, strength and is a plus athlete. Thought he had the most upside.

Results are in now. Nine years later who do you got? I think Randle, Tatum,  Brown  would be good. Just hard to share the ball.

Now?  what a joke.  waiting 9 years to feel you've been proven right about a draft selection we didn't make. 

I take Smart because he's had the most impactful career to date.  He hasn't been dismissed because he doesn't give a full effort or play defense which is exactly been what's dogged Randle his entire career. 

However, if you want to judge them based on just this year, sure, Randle's the better player and with the other guards on our team, swapping Randle for Smart would fill a whole at PF on offense and rebounding though I'm not sold his defense would be as good as Al's.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 03:12:39 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Now?  what a joke.  waiting 9 years to feel you've been proven right about a draft selection we didn't make. 

I take Smart because he's had the most impactful career to date.  He hasn't been dismissed because he doesn't give a full effort or play defense which is exactly been what's dogged Randle his entire career. 

However, if you want to judge them based on just this year, sure, Randle's the better player and with the other guards on our team, swapping Randle for Smart would fill a whole at PF on offense and rebounding though I'm not sold his defense would be as good as Al's.

Guess there is still hope for the guy who used run around here screaming about Elfrid Payton being superior to Smart.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 03:15:42 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

I am not certain this is true.  I think is Randle is the better player if he's a high usage player, the clear number 1 or 2 on a team but I don't see him as being a good 3rd, something he'd be with the Js.  I also think if Randle is your number 1 or 2 option on offense your team's ceiling is capped.  He's will raise a teams floor versus the J's who raise a teams ceiling.

In the end I think it boils down to the team make up as to what player you take.  On the Cs as constructed Smart is probably the choice but on the Knicks, who don't have the offensive options of the Cs, Randle is the better choice. 

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 03:25:28 PM by Wretch »

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2023, 03:26:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Guess there is still hope for the guy who used run around here screaming about Elfrid Payton being superior to Smart.
did he actually believe that?  wonder why that gem isn't being pushed.

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2023, 03:37:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

did he actually believe that?  wonder why that gem isn't being pushed.

100% he did.  He also managed to get himself tossed from this forum sometime around 2017 or 2018.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2023, 04:02:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Few have transitioned from promising young PG to out of the league as quickly as Elfrid Payton
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2023, 04:12:55 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
This year I’d take Randle, last year I would have taken Smart.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.