Author Topic: Time To Panic? I Think So  (Read 24874 times)

Re: Time To Panic? I Think So
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2023, 08:27:13 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Far too much negativity over the last 2 losses.

They lost in OT and a 2OT. Both games could easily have gone the other way.

« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2023, 08:28:42 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
At least we won't be worried about Grant getting anything close to $20m!

I'm so done with him.

I think his matchup with Dray Green in the Finals messed him up.  It seems like from there on, his focus shifted from being a "dirt dog" type of player to somebody who wanted to have his own spot light.  If you want to be a role player in the spotlight, then you sure as hell better be able to handle your role.

Wouldn't surprise me.  I also wonder if his act is wearing thin in that locker room these days.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2023, 08:38:02 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think it's been the past five games.  After a high against Philly, we've seen:

1.  Any ugly loss against the Knicks;
2.  A should-have-been-a-blowout game against the Cavs that closed to four points;
3. A 28-point lead blown against the Nets (in less than two quarters);
4.  A 13-point lead blown against the Knicks;
5.  An 11-point lead with 4:15 left blown against the Cavs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2023, 08:40:21 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
eh last night was tough and we coughed up yet another lead but that foul on Grant which ultimately tied the game to send it to OT should have never been called.

Yes Grant blew his opportunity to win the game but IMO 1) Tony Brothers iced him before his free throws. 2) Mitchell deserved a T for getting in his face before he shot his free throws. I am not sure i've ever seen a player that close to another player talking trash before a free throw attempt in the modern NBA

By the time OT came around we were just gassed.

That being said Grant is falling on the sword but I think Smart is the problem. He is getting back into his hero ball mindset and its getting infuriating.

« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2023, 08:45:36 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I think it's been the past five games.  After a high against Philly, we've seen:

1.  Any ugly loss against the Knicks;
2.  A should-have-been-a-blowout game against the Cavs that closed to four points;
3. A 28-point lead blown against the Nets (in less than two quarters);
4.  A 13-point lead blown against the Knicks;
5.  An 11-point lead with 4:15 left blown against the Cavs.

Yeah, I agree.

I couldn't find the right words for one more sentence to add that we are letting the disappointment of the previous few games overly effect our reactions to the last 2 games.

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2023, 08:48:38 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
That being said Grant is falling on the sword but I think Smart is the problem. He is getting back into his hero ball mindset and its getting infuriating.

I was saying in another thread that Smart's TS% is now 53.4% which is almost 5.0% below the league average of 58.1%. Terrible number. He has been real drag on the offense.   

« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2023, 08:51:47 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I was saying in another thread that Smart's TS% is now 53.4% which is almost 5.0% below the league average of 58.1%. Terrible number. He has been real drag on the offense.

Yeah, it's like he's forgotten his role and is back to "bad Marcus" way more consistently lately.

It's one of the reasons I've found myself complaining more about the coaching.  Ime held guys accountable and didn't mind talking tough to them behind the scenes.  That happened early last season, when Marcus complained publicly about the Jays.  Later, it was revealed that Ime basically sat him down and told him to clean up his own play before barking about others.

I feel like Joe doesn't have that ability.  He's a "player's coach", without a lot of bite.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2023, 09:05:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I get that Grant missed the two big foul shots, but he was 4 of 5 from 3 in the game and scored 12 points in 16 minutes.  Pritchard's 1 of 6 from 3 was far more problematic.  Heck, the starters were 7 of 30 from 3.  You take out Grant and the team shot 27.9% from 3 on 43 shots.  You aren't going to win many games with that kind of percentage.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2023, 09:16:26 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Smart's been the biggest problem on this team for a while and even the media is seeing it.

It's not even just the box score stats, but at times we praise Smart for doing the "little things". But since he came back all the "little things" he's done have actually impacted us negatively and cost us games late too. Making "losing plays"

Also, why is it that every game now there's at least 1 guy from another team just casually putting up 40+ against us (or 2 guys putting up 25+ in a game). Wasn't defense supposed to be our calling card? Didn't we pride ourselves for playing tough defense against everyone? What happened... (don't answer that lol)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2023, 09:37:11 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
As much as people want to talk about shots and who is shooting...the biggest issue on this team is that they are not a good defensive team. They struggle to string stops together and cannot stop quick guards from going to the rim.

To me this is the biggest difference from last year's team. They just don't lock in defensively.

« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2023, 09:40:19 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
As much as people want to talk about shots and who is shooting...the biggest issue on this team is that they are not a good defensive team. They struggle to string stops together and cannot stop quick guards from going to the rim.

To me this is the biggest difference from last year's team. They just don't lock in defensively.

Timelord effect. Without him these other teams are able to just run layup drills with little to no resistance at the rim. No one really fears Kornet lol

« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2023, 09:51:48 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
At least we won't be worried about Grant getting anything close to $20m!

He still might get $20M. A 4 year contract totaling $20M sounds about right.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 10:06:32 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2023, 10:01:51 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
People appear to be giving up on this team. That’s crazy imo. Great roster capable of kicking it into gear when it matters. I’m as disappointed in the results since January as anyone, but I still believe this team has the talent to beat anyone. 

I’m definitely high on Derrick White starting in place of Smart.  Team needs a jolt. DW is more reliable/consistent, plays smart, knows his roll, keeps the ball moving… plays hard,  doesn’t get cocky or play hero ball.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 10:17:45 AM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2023, 10:03:22 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
People appear to be giving up on this team. That’s crazy imo. Great roster capable of kicking it into gear when it matters. I’m as disappointed in the results since January as anyone, but I still believe this team has the talent to beat anyone.  I’m definitely high on Derrick White starting in place of Smart.  Team needs a jolt.

It's more like:

« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2023, 10:08:17 AM »

Offline TheTruth34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Smart's been the biggest problem on this team for a while and even the media is seeing it.

It's not even just the box score stats, but at times we praise Smart for doing the "little things". But since he came back all the "little things" he's done have actually impacted us negatively and cost us games late too. Making "losing plays"

Also, why is it that every game now there's at least 1 guy from another team just casually putting up 40+ against us (or 2 guys putting up 25+ in a game). Wasn't defense supposed to be our calling card? Didn't we pride ourselves for playing tough defense against everyone? What happened... (don't answer that lol)

Yesterday Smart shot 4-17 with 3 terrible TOs. He has regressed to his hero-ball ways and agree with others that it is infuriating.  His focus should on being a distributor and playmaker.  I'd much rather see Derrick White in the closing lineup.