Author Topic: All-Star Weekend Game Thread  (Read 8524 times)

Re: All-Star Weekend Game Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2023, 09:50:55 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Maybe I just remember it differently because I was young, but in the 80’s it seemed like the guys really went at each other on the all star game.  Or maybe it was only in the 4th quarter?  Guys were less buddy buddy with players from other teams then though.

Why would they go at each other in this day & age? There's absolutely nothing at stake. The NBA needs to figure out how to make the All-Star game a meaningful event (if there's even an interest in doing so). Otherwise it's just fanfare and the players will continue to lean into that.

Well I actually agree, no reason to go hard for an exhibition. 

Unless they made it worth something.  Like keep the east and west on opposite teams and the winning conf gets to start the first finals game with a 5 point lead or something like that.

« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2023, 09:53:08 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Maybe I just remember it differently because I was young, but in the 80’s it seemed like the guys really went at each other on the all star game.  Or maybe it was only in the 4th quarter?  Guys were less buddy buddy with players from other teams then though.

Why would they go at each other in this day & age? There's absolutely nothing at stake. The NBA needs to figure out how to make the All-Star game a meaningful event (if there's even an interest in doing so). Otherwise it's just fanfare and the players will continue to lean into that.

What was at stake in the 80s? Pride

Maybe there is too much money on the line these days and these guys see themselves as businesses.
ok fine

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2023, 09:53:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Also, how long do they keep the East/West thing going if they aren't actually going to play an East vs. West game?  Just vote for the 4 best guards and 6 best front court players with the top 2 earning the captains spots.  Then the coaches still pick the benches, but they just use the whole NBA instead of just conference.  I'm fine with the top teams in each conference having their coach as I don't think that makes much difference.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2023, 09:54:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Maybe there is too much money on the line these days and these guys see themselves as businesses.
They still want to win.  You will see them hunker down at times in the 4th quarter. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2023, 09:56:02 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Yeah with everybody being a brand now, it will never be a real game.

« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2023, 10:01:18 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Of course they see themselves as businesses, why should they not? Franchises generate billions of dollars off of players, and those players are keying into the fact that they can do that for themselves. Look at Greg Oden versus Dwight Howard. One of those players is a lot richer than the other and that's on account of staying on the court.

Pride isn't winning a meaningless exhibition game. Pride is setting up my family for generational wealth well beyond my existence.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2023, 10:10:18 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

Of course they see themselves as businesses, why should they not? Franchises generate billions of dollars off of players, and those players are keying into the fact that they can do that for themselves. Look at Greg Oden versus Dwight Howard. One of those players is a lot richer than the other and that's on account of staying on the court.

Pride isn't winning a meaningless exhibition game. Pride is setting up my family for generational wealth well beyond my existence.

All the guys on the court have had generational wealth in their first contract.
ok fine

« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2023, 10:31:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Lol Tatum is beasting  8)

Also Lillard with a casual half court shot
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2023, 10:32:01 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Lillard…wow.  He shots it just like a normal casual 3.

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2023, 10:36:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Lillard…wow.  He shots it just like a normal casual 3.

He’s so good. Wish the Blazers overall were just a better team. Lillard on a team like the Knicks would be cool

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2023, 10:37:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Though I hate to be that guy when I say… why is Tatum playing so much? Manage his minutes Mazz!  >:(

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2023, 10:37:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
This game is the worst one I can remember

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2023, 10:40:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
JT showing out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2023, 10:40:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
WOW. Tatum vs Brown on each end and they both nail a 3 against each other!    :o

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2023, 10:40:52 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Mazzulla needs to take JT and JB out. Call a timeout. JT leading all players with 27 mins. And before someone says anything, I’m being serious lol.