Author Topic: Which Celtic would you choose in 4th quarter of Game 7?  (Read 4711 times)

Which Celtic would you choose in 4th quarter of Game 7?
« on: February 11, 2023, 04:12:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Assume that the Celtics are in Game 7 of the Finals.  All other teammates are a championship roster.  Score is 80-78 Celtics heading into the 4th quarter.  Modern rules, but assume guys have adjusted to those rules.

Who do you pick, and what year?  Give up to three ranked choices.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Which Celtic would you choose in 4th quarter of Game 7?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 04:49:50 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Assume that the Celtics are in Game 7 of the Finals.  All other teammates are a championship roster.  Score is 80-78 Celtics heading into the 4th quarter.  Modern rules, but assume guys have adjusted to those rules.

Bird - 86 season
Bird - 84 season
Bird - 85 season.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 04:57:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Bird - 86 season
Bird - 84 season
Bird - 85 season.

Ha.  I knew somebody would do that, but I’m not sure that Larry is the only choice.  McHale at his peak was a pretty awesome 2-way option; Russell is the best winner of all-time.  Hondo, Tatum, Pierce, IT4.  Modern-day Cowens, Sam Jones, Tommy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 05:21:48 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Bird - 86 season
Bird - 84 season
Bird - 85 season.

Ha.  I knew somebody would do that, but I’m not sure that Larry is the only choice.  McHale at his peak was a pretty awesome 2-way option; Russell is the best winner of all-time.  Hondo, Tatum, Pierce, IT4.  Modern-day Cowens, Sam Jones, Tommy.
Bird may not be the only choice but he's the only answer.  Bird would dominate this modern era. 

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 05:24:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Bird - 86 season
Bird - 84 season
Bird - 85 season.

Bird may not be the only choice but he's the only answer.  Bird would dominate this modern era.

It’s interesting that this list is dominated by Celtics:

https://www.thesportster.com/greatest-best-game-7-performances-nba-finals-history/

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 08:55:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I might take Russell depending on what the rest of the "championship" roster actually is.  I'd need a #1 scoring option but Bill would be awesome setting the tone on the glass and defensively.  If we had the current team and I was adding a player, I think Bill would make more sense than Larry.  A couple of years ago before Tatum ascended Larry would make more sense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip