Author Topic: Should we trade Pritchard now, or in the summer?  (Read 10541 times)

Re: Should we trade Pritchard now, or in the summer?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2023, 11:26:22 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
From interviews, it seems like Payton Pritchard wants a bigger role, and would prefer to be traded to another team.  It seems like the Celts will try to accommodate him, most likely this summer.

The question:  if a trade is inevitable, is it better to trade him now or later?  When will he have more value?  What impact would losing Pritchard have on the team now?  Are there free agents or trade targets that we could pick up as a 3rd / 4th PG?

If we could trade him now for a guy who could fill Theis' role on the team last season, I would move him.  I'd rather have a decent third / fourth big than deep depth at PG.  PP's performance has been down this year, and while I like his hustle, we need more size.

I'm with you on this, as much as I'm bullish on Payton's future. His performance has indeed been down this year; I think that his inconsistent minutes have been a factor, though it inevitably goes both ways, doesn't it?

You're also right to point to his size.

Given age and injury history of Boston's bigs, I believe that acquiring another one is the highest priority. You point to the crucial role that Theis played last year, though it seems to be under the radar of most fans.

I would argue that that is not as urgent a matter this season, with Kornet and on occasion Blake Griffin logging some good minutes; but a rotation big would make a huge difference in the overall minutes distribution - not just as an insurance policy.

I would favor getting Kelly Olynyk. Excellent team defender, and you can run offense through him; he fits right into that Boston Pistol 5 that they've been running.

He's been scoring in the lane at a good clip, getting to the line at an impressive clip, is a grade-A plus FT shooter - and shooting over .400 from 3. He's been turnover-prone this season, but it's an outlier and partly attributable to his situation.

He's on the wrong team (doesn't fit their timeline, but PP would). He's signed through 2024.

'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2023, 11:36:33 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
He’s better for salary-matching in the summer, because $4 million goes further than $2 million.  He’ll have a little more value now, because a team gets him for longer.  So it just depends as to whether they can get the right player in the next week.  There’s no rush to trade him.

Good point on the salary but we still have a $5.8M TPE.  So it wouldn't be hard to structure a deal where Pritchard goes out and we get back up to $5.8M.  Is that correct?  If he is part of a bigger deal, then yes, that additional salary could come into play.  I don't suspect that this is a big factor right now though.

That aside, everyone is saying pretty much what I see.  If we can get a comparable SF or Big for him now, definitely do it.  If not, wait for the off season.  No need to trade him just to trade him.  He is useful to the team.  Not a useful as a comparable SF or Big would be due to the depth we have at combo guard relative to other positions, but still useful.

Yes, the TPE still exists.  His contract is still more useful in the summer, because you can combine it to take on a single larger salary.  For example, Pritchard and Kornet can bring back someone who makes around $8.1 million next year.  Pritchard and Gallo can bring back $13.6 million.

It’s not a reason to hold him — the Celtics will move him next week if there is something good — but it’s why there is no imperative to move him if the offer isn’t there, because there are more possibilities in the summer.

Agree 100%.  We can trade him now on his own (working with a TPE) for up to $5.8 or whatever or we can combine him with Gallinari or others and get a up to a higher value.  In the off season, not sure what TPE we will have (we may end up with some new ones based on what we do in the next couple of weeks), but there will be options to trade him alone or as part of a package.  Or we just keep him and maybe Trade White in a larger scale trade.

I feel there is a pretty good chance that he is traded now, maybe 50/50 range.  It would be nice if they could work out a good deal so that we could bring in a player at another position that can help us.

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2023, 11:37:18 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Pritchard, Gallo, and Justin Jackson for Olynyk. Makes too much sense for both sides, especially if the Jazz move one of Clarkson or Conley.

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2023, 11:59:58 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Pritchard, Gallo, and Justin Jackson for Olynyk. Makes too much sense for both sides, especially if the Jazz move one of Clarkson or Conley.

Keep in mind that the Jazz have 15 players under contract currently.  To do the trade you propose, they would have to cut 2 other players.  I don't know enough about the back end of their roster to be able to say if cutting 2 of them (or otherwise dealing them) would be that impactful, but it is a consideration when these 3 for 1 deals are thrown out.

As to the deal, I don't like Olynyk enough to want to give up Pritchard and Gallinari, although I would not necessarily hate the deal.  He is shooting the 3 well this year but I am not sure a soft, slow big, even one who can shoot some, is what we need.

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2023, 12:05:46 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
With JD and Yam possible next year a trade now makes sense as teams will hold that against C's. I say get a first for him and then flip that first and the TE for someone.
I doubt PP will return a first rounder.  JD and Yam aren't anywhere worth anything to be held against the C's. 

JD might become someone useful next year at the end of the bench.  Yam, not sure he ever makes it over here since I don't see him coming in as a 2-way player nor to just sit at the end of the bench behind Smart, White and Brogdon for a few years
I think a  heavily protected first could be had. But it's more two seconds in reality type of 1st. As in top 27 protected. A trade like that is just easier to sell to fans.

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2023, 12:05:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Keep in mind that the Jazz have 15 players under contract currently.  To do the trade you propose, they would have to cut 2 other players.  I don't know enough about the back end of their roster to be able to say if cutting 2 of them (or otherwise dealing them) would be that impactful, but it is a consideration when these 3 for 1 deals are thrown out.

As to the deal, I don't like Olynyk enough to want to give up Pritchard and Gallinari, although I would not necessarily hate the deal.  He is shooting the 3 well this year but I am not sure a soft, slow big, even one who can shoot some, is what we need.

Is KO soft?  He’s not built like a brick house, but he puts his body on the line.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2023, 12:06:45 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

With you there.

I keep reading the Wolves can’t afford to resign Naz Reid and that they need help with ballhandling. PP and a second or two might do it? Wouldn’t give a first for sure.

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2023, 12:08:03 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

I agree, though given the obvious trajectory for Utah, some draft capital will likely come into play. And Conley and Clarkson are surely part of discussions as well (though not with Boston, of course).
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2023, 12:12:37 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91

Is KO soft?  He’s not built like a brick house, but he puts his body on the line.

I never thought so, but many had that opinion when he was here. I think it’s because he was constantly called for ghost and touch fouls that he started avoiding contact to avoid getting called for fouling, then the refs would call him for reaching. If he appeared soft back then I blame it on the refs.

As he’s been in the league longer I think he’s got more respect and he’s able to play better defense but he still reaches when he’s a step slow.

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2023, 12:17:20 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I don't mean soft in terms of effort.  Maybe soft isn't the right word.  But he is a near 7'-0" player who averages 5.0 rebs and 0.5 blocks for his career (average 4.9 rebs this season).  More finesse than blue collar, but I hesitate to call him a "finesse" player.  Not a great defender in general.  That is what I meant.

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2023, 12:20:23 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

I don't mean soft in terms of effort.  Maybe soft isn't the right word.  But he is a near 7'-0" player who averages 5.0 rebs and 0.5 blocks for his career (average 4.9 rebs this season).  More finesse than blue collar, but I hesitate to call him a "finesse" player.  Not a great defender in general.  That is what I meant.

I agree. I’d prefer to have Theis back, tbh.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2023, 12:29:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Jackson could be re-routed to another team easy enough.  Just send some cash along with him.  But, if we want to even out the trade, this one is easy enough:

Boston trades:  Gallo + Jackson + PP + #2 + TPE + cash

Utah trades: KO + Gay

Third team trades: top-55 protected #2

The third team gets cash to absorb and waive Jackson; Utah clears money for next season and gets a decent second rounder + Pritchard

That involves Wyc taking back some money, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2023, 12:37:27 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Jackson could be re-routed to another team easy enough.  Just send some cash along with him.  But, if we want to even out the trade, this one is easy enough:

The third team gets cash to absorb and waive Jackson; Utah clears money for next season and gets a decent second rounder + Pritchard

Also, so long as the Jazz are saving money and like what they’re getting back, they can cut both Azbuike and Bolmaro — two players who’s rookie options were not picked up this fall and are completely out of the rotation.

I’m not sure that a KO trade is the trade that makes them eat those contracts, but a 3-for-1 isn’t a real obstacle.  They have cheap and expiring deadweight.

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2023, 12:48:37 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67

Also, so long as the Jazz are saving money and like what they’re getting back, they can cut both Azbuike and Bolmaro — two players who’s rookie options were not picked up this fall and are completely out of the rotation.

I’m not sure that a KO trade is the trade that makes them eat those contracts, but a 3-for-1 isn’t a real obstacle.  They have cheap and expiring deadweight.

Yeah, I expect Ainge to be active moving veterans at this deadline, so I assume there will be several options to make the 3-for-1 roster spot aspect of a deal like this one work.

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2023, 02:35:44 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Pritchard for Reid would seemingly make sense to me. From what I can tell, Minny doesn’t have significant PG depth or quality behind DLo (who could be shipped out, too), and PP could fill a need their longer-term as they figure out a direction, especially with his shooting. And Reid obviously fills a need for us.

May have to include a second or cash given how well Reid has been playing lately, but I think it’d be worth it.

Then we could hopefully pick up a wing in the buyout market or via our TPE.

So I watched Reid last night and have to wonder why Wolves would want to trade him? My understanding is that he’s been really good all year, so why would they trade him for an undersized backup guard and a second?

I’m not trying to be a smart guy, it’s a serious question as I have seen this idea before

My understanding is they don’t want to pay him next year, so they’re looking to trade him likely.

Not sure what he’ll ultimately cost, though, given how well he’s played.