Author Topic: Will we use the $6.9 million TPE? If so, on who?  (Read 10867 times)

Re: Will we use the $6.9 million TPE? If so, on who?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2023, 02:44:43 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I'd still be interested in Obi Toppin.

The problem is I'm pretty sure the Knicks are too. He technically fits into one of the TPEs but you'd pay a premium to get him.

I wouldn't overpay for him but I would send a 1st and a 2nd round pick for him.
well, which  is it?  you wouldn't overpay for him or you'd send a first and a second for him?   ;)

Yeah, a first for Toppin is a pretty steep overpay I think.

Depends on the quality of the 1st, doesn't it?  I wouldn't send them an unprotected 1st, but something protected isn't crazy, especially considering that pick would likely be in the 25-30 range.

The bigger issue with that price from the Celtics perspective is that we're unable to send something until 2025, which would mean in a subsequent trade that we couldn't send out a 1st until at least 2027, and Obi Toppin isn't worth that constraint with regard to future picks.  If we had this year's pick to offer, however, I wouldn't flinch if we traded it for Toppin.  I think he'd crack our rotation, he's still young and improving, and he could remain under team control for several years.  With our current assets, I wouldn't go higher than our two 2nds, but they aren't far off the value of a late 1st anyway.

I'd rather Vanderbilt, of course, but I think his price is higher.

Nope, it doesn't matter.  I wouldn't trade the 30th pick in the draft for Toppin.

Ah, I think you're wrong there.  He's a good player stuck on the wrong team.

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2023, 02:49:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The problem is I'm pretty sure the Knicks are too. He technically fits into one of the TPEs but you'd pay a premium to get him.

well, which  is it?  you wouldn't overpay for him or you'd send a first and a second for him?   ;)

Depends on the quality of the 1st, doesn't it?  I wouldn't send them an unprotected 1st, but something protected isn't crazy, especially considering that pick would likely be in the 25-30 range.

The bigger issue with that price from the Celtics perspective is that we're unable to send something until 2025, which would mean in a subsequent trade that we couldn't send out a 1st until at least 2027, and Obi Toppin isn't worth that constraint with regard to future picks.  If we had this year's pick to offer, however, I wouldn't flinch if we traded it for Toppin.  I think he'd crack our rotation, he's still young and improving, and he could remain under team control for several years.  With our current assets, I wouldn't go higher than our two 2nds, but they aren't far off the value of a late 1st anyway.

Nope, it doesn't matter.  I wouldn't trade the 30th pick in the draft for Toppin.

What evidence is there that he's good?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2023, 02:51:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

I think Toppin is worth a late 1st. Our pick is most likely the 30th pick.

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2023, 02:53:27 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I think he'd be a better player off the Knicks.

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2023, 02:56:24 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91

I think Toppin is worth a late 1st. Our pick is most likely the 30th pick.

Which year? Don’t we only have 2nd rounders this year? Brad traded the 2023 1st to the Pacers, didn’t he?

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2023, 03:05:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I wonder if the Knicks are actually looking to get out of Toppin like they are Reddish.  We could actually get them both if that were the case.  We could cut Jackson and bring them both in.  Probably cost us a first and one or two seconds.

To me, it comes down to if Reddish can give us more than Hauser, even a little more, then OK.  Or if Toppin can give us about what Grant does, then sure, one or both are worth he picks and the added Tax.  But if these are going to be just slightly better bench warmers than Vonleh and Jackson, then I say why bother.   I would rather keep the picks and the TPEs expiring is not that big of a deal to me.

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2023, 03:23:03 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

His first two years in the league, especially last year?  The Knicks decided he's unplayable with Randle and because Thibs is the coach and rides Randle to the ground, that meant Toppin only got 17 minutes per game. So I think his per-36 numbers are probably the way to go for normalization.  He went for a 19/8/2 line with an efficient .614 TS%.  That per-36 scoring number was third on the Knicks, and his usage was relatively high when he was on the court (20.8%).  His at-rim skills were elite (over 70%), but he's not a simple rim-runner, as his average shooting distance was 10.5 feet away.

The Knicks were generally bad, but he still managed a 7.1 net rating, which is really impressive for a rotation player on a team with a negative net rating overall.  (He was also positive in his rookie year).  His defensive advanced stats generally come out around average to slightly above , and he was a plus offensively.  This year his 3-point shot has improved to league average, although he's now taking over 50% of his shots from 3.  I don't know if that's a coaching thing or a player thing, but he's proven to be an excellent cutter in the past, which I think would work very well in the C's offense.  Defensively he's best when he gets to guard the 5.

He's only 24, and is likely to continue to get better.  That said, as only a part-time player his first three seasons, he might come in for a reasonable extension this summer as he enters the last year of his rookie deal, and could be a nice piece going forward, especially as Horford heads off into the sunset.

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2023, 03:38:20 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

His first two years in the league, especially last year?  The Knicks decided he's unplayable with Randle and because Thibs is the coach and rides Randle to the ground, that meant Toppin only got 17 minutes per game. So I think his per-36 numbers are probably the way to go for normalization.  He went for a 19/8/2 line with an efficient .614 TS%.  That per-36 scoring number was third on the Knicks, and his usage was relatively high when he was on the court (20.8%).  His at-rim skills were elite (over 70%), but he's not a simple rim-runner, as his average shooting distance was 10.5 feet away.

The Knicks were generally bad, but he still managed a 7.1 net rating, which is really impressive for a rotation player on a team with a negative net rating overall.  (He was also positive in his rookie year).  His defensive advanced stats generally come out around average to slightly above , and he was a plus offensively.  This year his 3-point shot has improved to league average, although he's now taking over 50% of his shots from 3.  I don't know if that's a coaching thing or a player thing, but he's proven to be an excellent cutter in the past, which I think would work very well in the C's offense.  Defensively he's best when he gets to guard the 5.

He's only 24, and is likely to continue to get better.  That said, as only a part-time player his first three seasons, he might come in for a reasonable extension this summer as he enters the last year of his rookie deal, and could be a nice piece going forward, especially as Horford heads off into the sunset.

I recall seeing him play and thinking he was decent, had some potential.  All the stats are intriguing, and it does make some sense that he is blocked by Randle.  It is interesting that by far, his most used line up is

D. Rose - I. Hartenstein - C. Reddish - O. Toppin - I. Quickley

78 minutes, the next most used is 28 minutes.  Not a great opportunity to show what he has got.

It is so hard to judge players in this situation.  It seems like the Celtics would be a good fit for him.  The perfect role.  Not a lot asked of him.  Just play defense, take shots when they are there, and don't turn over the ball.

Pritchard and Gallinari for Reddish and Toppin also works if you prefer to keep the picks.

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2023, 03:56:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

TP Good breakdown....

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2023, 03:57:50 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Trade PP, Luke and Gallo for Kuzma, then sign a big on the buyout market.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2023, 04:11:21 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Gay be a good vet to have..also like Walker..Drummond be a good backup plan if TimeLord gets hurt again..doubt Washington & Vanderbilt will be traded
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2023, 04:14:27 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82

I'd do that in a heartbeat.  Kuzma can give you 1-2 games in a seven game series where he's a difference-maker. 

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2023, 04:36:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I could use the 6.9 m if. nobody else wants it l :D

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2023, 05:07:09 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379

I'd do that in a heartbeat.  Kuzma can give you 1-2 games in a seven game series where he's a difference-maker.

Got the idea from Keith Smith last night on the Karalis Podcast...they're concerned we can't rely on Hauser in the playoffs..they are correct.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2023, 05:40:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Got the idea from Keith Smith last night on the Karalis Podcast...they're concerned we can't rely on Hauser in the playoffs..they are correct.

Why does Washington do that?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes