Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 291185 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #2595 on: March 18, 2023, 02:13:25 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
If Lillard cared about winning, wouldn’t he have asked out of Portland by now? Surely he realizes that they aren’t contending anytime soon. Same goes for Beal.
Lillard literally addresses people like you making this argument in his appearance on Redick's podcast

He thinks the league has changed and that it hasn’t always been about winning championships/rings?  :laugh:  Can’t believe people wanted to trade JB for Dame.  He’s definitely not built for Boston.

https://twitter.com/jj_redick/status/1635713290751053824?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1635713290751053824%7Ctwgr%5E424fbf5877e90b064c94fd7aea00ef0aa9a3da8a%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-36633314493271032664.ampproject.net%2F2302271541000%2Fframe.html
If that is your takeaway...

It is not some weird binary thing. You can (obviously, I would have thought) be competitive and want to win, whilst staying loyal to your team.

We laud and adore great players who stay loyal to successful teams, yet laugh at those who stay loyal to teams that falter - why?

I don’t think many would call Dame disloyal at this point in his career if he wanted to go to another team to compete for a championship. The farthest that Portland has made it in the 11 years he’s been there was the conference finals (once) where they received a gentleman sweep from GS. Blazers aren’t even a playoff team this year and Lillard likely only has a few more years in his prime as small guards typically don’t age well.

My takeaway from the interview is that he enjoys living in Portland and is very comfortable there. Those appear to be the most important things to him, competing for a championship seems secondary. I also get the impression that he doesn’t want the pressure and noise that comes along with playing for a contending team. He seems content being in a small market.

45 million a year is going to be tough to match in a trade without gutting the team that he's going to.

Idk if it's possible trade-wise, but Lillard going to either NY team (Knicks or Nets) or Miami makes the most sense. I kind of wonder if the Nets use it as a way to also offload Simmons.

Maybe BKN gives up Simmons, Cam Thomas, 1 of Dinwiddie/DFS and 3 first round picks for Lillard and another piece from Portland? Something along those lines.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2596 on: March 18, 2023, 02:34:48 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
If Lillard cared about winning, wouldn’t he have asked out of Portland by now? Surely he realizes that they aren’t contending anytime soon. Same goes for Beal.
Lillard literally addresses people like you making this argument in his appearance on Redick's podcast

He thinks the league has changed and that it hasn’t always been about winning championships/rings?  :laugh:  Can’t believe people wanted to trade JB for Dame.  He’s definitely not built for Boston.

https://twitter.com/jj_redick/status/1635713290751053824?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1635713290751053824%7Ctwgr%5E424fbf5877e90b064c94fd7aea00ef0aa9a3da8a%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-36633314493271032664.ampproject.net%2F2302271541000%2Fframe.html

It is not some weird binary thing. You can (obviously, I would have thought) be competitive and want to win, whilst staying loyal to your team.

We laud and adore great players who stay loyal to successful teams, yet laugh at those who stay loyal to teams that falter - why?

I don’t think many would call Dame disloyal at this point in his career if he wanted to go to another team to compete for a championship. The farthest that Portland has made it in the 11 years he’s been there was the conference finals (once) where they received a gentleman sweep from GS. Blazers aren’t even a playoff team this year and Lillard likely only has a few more years in his prime as small guards typically don’t age well.

My takeaway from the interview is that he enjoys living in Portland and is very comfortable there. Those appear to be the most important things to him, competing for a championship seems secondary. I also get the impression that he doesn’t want the pressure and noise that comes along with playing for a contending team. He seems content being in a small market.

45 million a year is going to be tough to match in a trade without gutting the team that he's going to.

Idk if it's possible trade-wise, but Lillard going to either NY team (Knicks or Nets) or Miami makes the most sense. I kind of wonder if the Nets use it as a way to also offload Simmons.

Maybe BKN gives up Simmons, Cam Thomas, 1 of Dinwiddie/DFS and 3 first round picks for Lillard and another piece from Portland? Something along those lines.

Yeah, that works and Makes Brooklyn much better but I'm not sure they are a contender.

« Reply #2597 on: March 18, 2023, 02:37:27 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
The irony of Lillard finally going to Brooklyn a decade after he could've been there if not for the horrid Gerald Wallace trade.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2598 on: March 18, 2023, 03:14:04 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Awesome game happening right now between Nuggets and Knicks. 3 mins left

« Reply #2599 on: March 18, 2023, 03:18:15 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

THX TP

« Reply #2600 on: March 18, 2023, 03:19:18 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

THX TP

Np! TP back at ya  ;)

« Reply #2601 on: March 18, 2023, 03:21:12 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

If Russell Westbrook and his $47M can get moved, anyone can. Lol.

I just don’t think Lillard wants to move. He’s comfortable in Portland and it doesn’t sound like he’s willing or interested uprooting in order to try to win a championship.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2602 on: March 18, 2023, 03:22:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Nugs choke!

« Reply #2603 on: March 18, 2023, 03:22:51 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

If Russell Westbrook can get moved, anyone can. Lol.

I just don’t think Lillard wants to move. He’s comfortable in Portland and it doesn’t sound like he’s willing or interested uprooting in order to try to win a championship.

Yeah probably very true. I do think Lillard could try and force the FO's hand and force them to make a move to acquire another legit co-star. We've seen many people do it. Hell, Doncic did it just recently and they got Kyrie to try and help.

Idk what happens behind the scenes obviously but it doesn't feel like Lillard actively does that though. He seems content with whatever is on the Blazers team

« Reply #2604 on: March 18, 2023, 03:24:28 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Nuggets now 1-5 in their last 6 games. They've looked awful for a while and their defense has been garbage too. They have to win a lot of games by outscoring the opponent and that isn't the best formula come playoff time. And outside of Jokic, I just think their frontcourt is very thin. They better hope they don't match up against a team like the Lakers first round (assuming they have BOTH Lebron + AD healthy). Teams with legit size and great PF/C give them fits

« Reply #2605 on: March 18, 2023, 03:44:33 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Nuggets now 1-5 in their last 6 games. They've looked awful for a while and their defense has been garbage too. They have to win a lot of games by outscoring the opponent and that isn't the best formula come playoff time. And outside of Jokic, I just think their frontcourt is very thin. They better hope they don't match up against a team like the Lakers first round (assuming they have BOTH Lebron + AD healthy). Teams with legit size and great PF/C give them fits

Yeah, I’ve thought they’ve been fool’s good for awhile now. Their offense is elite and has carried them and helped improve their defense, but they’re still really a weak defensive team. And while Jokic is a big part of that being a poor defender in the defensive anchor spot, it’s much more than just him with poor defenders up and down the roster (with a few exceptions like AG, KCP, etc.) and a limited big rotation.

Milwaukee and Boston have clearly been the class of the NBA all season, but I’m about to the point of saying that Philly is the clear cut third best team given they’re much more of a two-way force.

Of course, both Embiid and Harden still have to prove they can do it in the playoffs, which is far from a given with their history and how the game changes in the playoffs.

The West will be crazy. Matchups will ultimately determine who comes out of the West, and I bet you’ll see some matchup-related tanking on the last day or two of the season.

« Reply #2606 on: March 18, 2023, 04:01:12 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah, I’ve thought they’ve been fool’s good for awhile now. Their offense is elite and has carried them and helped improve their defense, but they’re still really a weak defensive team. And while Jokic is a big part of that being a poor defender in the defensive anchor spot, it’s much more than just him with poor defenders up and down the roster (with a few exceptions like AG, KCP, etc.) and a limited big rotation.

Milwaukee and Boston have clearly been the class of the NBA all season, but I’m about to the point of saying that Philly is the clear cut third best team given they’re much more of a two-way force.

Of course, both Embiid and Harden still have to prove they can do it in the playoffs, which is far from a given with their history and how the game changes in the playoffs.

The West will be crazy. Matchups will ultimately determine who comes out of the West, and I bet you’ll see some matchup-related tanking on the last day or two of the season.

Agreed with pretty much everything. I think the Top-3 teams in the East are the three best teams in the league overall. And it's likely one of those teams will be having HCA in the Finals assuming one of them comes out of the East and there isn't some surprise upset.

« Reply #2607 on: March 18, 2023, 04:09:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

What on earth is this psychology-via-screen? Absurd
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2608 on: March 18, 2023, 04:11:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Jamal Murray is abominable in the PnR on defence, which doesn't help. Either Jokic gets left on an island, which he is physically limited in doing effectively, or he trusts Murray to fight through a screen, which he never does.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2609 on: March 18, 2023, 04:38:54 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
So is Kawhi Leonard going to remain on an "injury management" plan for the rest of his career? Feels like he's missing every other game just because of that. It's not like he's even getting hurt any other way during games, it's just "knee management". He's basically just a part-time player now.