Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 62087 times)

Celtics Regular Season News
« on: October 17, 2022, 09:23:44 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Celtics on CLNS
@CelticsCLNS
Celtics injury report vs. Philly

Danilo Gallinari (left knee ACL repair) - OUT
Robert Williams (left knee arthroscopy) - OUT

Glad to see that Brogdon isn’t on the report. I was a little worried that he would be after exiting last game with leg soreness.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 07:21:51 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Bobby Manning: Mazzulla said Noah Vonleh’s minutes vs. Philly was a matter of both him earning trust with a good training camp and a favorable matchup. – via Twitter RealBobManning

Jay King: Joe Mazzulla said he anticipates Al Horford will play in both games on this back to back. – via Twitter ByJayKing
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 12:01:47 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
With Mazzulla being the first Celtics coach to begin a season 2-0 since Doc Rivers did it in 2009-10, there’s a possibility that he could end up being the coach in Boston for the long haul, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

“The outlook for Joe Mazzulla is that he’s got every opportunity, even a likelihood, that he’ll be able to shed the interim tag at the end of the season and be the Celtics’ long-term coach,” Wojnarowski said on ESPN’s “NBA Countdown” Friday night. “Brad Stevens certainly believed in him when he put him in the job but the relationships with the players — it’s one thing to be an assistant coach and have a relationship, it’s another to be a head coach [with the players].

“I think for Joe Mazzulla, right away he challenged his team and said ‘Listen, people think we’re going to be vulnerable now.’ He really got them on course with his leadership. You see the ball moving, you see them playing fast. This is a Celtics team, with all the talent they have, I think having the key players on his side, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, and Marcus Smart, that’s been immense for him.”

“He wouldn’t have (taken) any of the credit for tonight, but the thing that I like about Joe and admire about him is that he’s very honest that he doesn’t know everything,” Tatum said following Tuesday’s win. “He wants us to help him out as much as he’s helping us out. It’s like we’re in a relationship, and we’re all on the same page and trying to accomplish the same thing. We’re all in this together.”

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 04:11:56 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Grant suspended without pay for one game.

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 05:19:22 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Surprised it wasn’t more, TBH.

Tom Westerholm: In a pool report, Marc Davis said Grant Williams made “intentional physical contact with” referee Cheryl Flores which led to his ejection. – via Twitter Tom_NBA

Mark Medina: The NBA said it will issue Boston Celtics forward Grant Williams a one-game suspension for Friday’s game vs Cavaliers for “recklessly making contact with and directing inappropriate language toward a game official” during Monday’s loss to the Bulls. ago – via Twitter MarkG_Medina

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 05:23:48 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Surprised it wasn’t more, TBH.

Tom Westerholm: In a pool report, Marc Davis said Grant Williams made “intentional physical contact with” referee Cheryl Flores which led to his ejection. – via Twitter Tom_NBA

Mark Medina: The NBA said it will issue Boston Celtics forward Grant Williams a one-game suspension for Friday’s game vs Cavaliers for “recklessly making contact with and directing inappropriate language toward a game official” during Monday’s loss to the Bulls. ago – via Twitter MarkG_Medina

I’m not.  Just because Marc Davis says it was intentional doesn’t mean it was.  He made contact, which the NBA correctly ruled as reckless, and got an extra game, which is pretty standard.  He didn’t attempt to run into the official, but he was angry and definitely did a bad job of avoiding her.

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 05:30:06 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Grant deserved it....doesn't mean the Refs were good that night though.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 05:57:54 PM »

Offline terra haute

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
My question would be does the NBA feel a need to give more protection to female refs? I could see if it were punches thrown or something and do we really need two in one game? I just think it is asking for problems.

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2022, 04:30:29 AM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Danilo Gallinari will still be out for the first few months of the NBA season due to ACL surgery, but the veteran forward made some positive strides Tuesday.

But Gallinari hit the gym Tuesday and got up a corner 3-pointer. He posted the video on his Twitter, which can be seen below: https://twitter.com/gallinari8888/status/1584847737522044928?cxt=HHwWgICqodqnwf4rAAAA

“First shot after injury … Same touch,” Gallinari wrote on Twitter.

Of course due to his knee injury, the forward did not jump while taking the shot, but it is still encouraging to Gallinari back in the gym and getting shots up.

Here’s hoping Danilo recovers before the end of the regular season.

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2022, 06:52:48 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Grant deserved it....doesn't mean the Refs were good that night though.

I can understand the ejection.  I think the additional suspension is a little much.  If you watch the video, she was looking at him and moving in that direction.  It’s not like he was ran up and bumped her and got in her face.  It was accidental contact and he was moving away from her

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2022, 07:11:44 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
U can’t bump a referee period
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2022, 09:41:54 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Regarding the Celtics:

“It is clear that they’re asking about big guys but they’re asking about wings, too, poking around,” one league executive told Heavy Sports. “They’re taking the temperature on what might be out there, who might get released or bought out, who they might have to give up a pick, a first-rounder, a second-rounder, to get. It is early so no one is giving up on players now but when you get to late December and January, seems like they want to be in a good spot to make a call on what to do then.” – via Sean Deveney @ Heavy.com

Not sure how reliable and certainly not surprising.  I would say the buy out phase of the discussion is pretty much over.  That part seems like old news.  Favors (big guy) and Harkless (wing) are still out there.  Certainly not surprising that the Celtics are "poking around".  Maybe more surprising that Harkless and Favors are still available.

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2022, 09:58:02 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Regarding the Celtics:

“It is clear that they’re asking about big guys but they’re asking about wings, too, poking around,” one league executive told Heavy Sports. “They’re taking the temperature on what might be out there, who might get released or bought out, who they might have to give up a pick, a first-rounder, a second-rounder, to get. It is early so no one is giving up on players now but when you get to late December and January, seems like they want to be in a good spot to make a call on what to do then.” – via Sean Deveney @ Heavy.com

Not sure how reliable and certainly not surprising.  I would say the buy out phase of the discussion is pretty much over.  That part seems like old news.  Favors (big guy) and Harkless (wing) are still out there.  Certainly not surprising that the Celtics are "poking around".  Maybe more surprising that Harkless and Favors are still available.

So the Celtics are laying the ground work for multiple avenues based on how the season goes.  Good.

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2022, 10:01:13 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I know that individual +/- is not an end all stat and that we are only 4 games in, but the initial results are interesting.  On the surprising bad side:

G. Williams    -7
Smart          -10
Brogdon       -13

On the surprising good:

D. White     +22
Vonleh         +6

Tatum and Brown are both +7, about what you would expect.  Horford is +4.  Vonleh in a fair amount of minutes is +6.  Real happy with that.  Hope he can keep it up.  No one else has enough minutes to really matter.

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2022, 10:32:53 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Regarding the Celtics:

So the Celtics are laying the ground work for multiple avenues based on how the season goes.  Good.

I hope that they're getting positive feedback about good players that may become available.  Otherwise, waiting isn't necessarily our best strategy, as we have a need now, and the means to fill it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes