Author Topic: Maine Celtics  (Read 42627 times)

Re: Maine Celtics
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2022, 03:00:11 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983
After starting the season with an 8-2 record, Maine Celtics forward Luka Samanic has been named G League Player of the Month.

Luka averaged 21.7 points and 11.4 rebounds in the month, and leads the G-League with 9 double-doubles in 10 games.

When TL comes back, I hope the C’s release Vonleh and sign Samanic to a rest of season deal that’s not guaranteed next summer (like what Hauser got last year).  They can leave him in Maine if they want since we wouldn’t need his minutes — I’d just like him under contract before he signs elsewhere.

Better off putting Davison on the Hauser plan and potentially making Samanic the new two-way player. My guess is they're weighing that against keeping the two non-guaranteed players along with the two medium trade exceptions for potentially acquiring a veteran or two once trade season kicks off.

It honestly doesn't matter much between the two, although it gives them a little more flexibility if they make Samanic the guy.  If Davison is promoted, neither he nor Samanic could be traded at the deadline.  If Samanic is promoted, Davison can still be traded.  Also, presumably the Celtics like Davison more than Samanic long-term.  Accordingly, if they need a roster spot at the deadline and have to release a guy, they'd rather release Samanic than Davison, so you'd want Luka on the 15-man and Davison still on the 2-way.

I look at it this way -- if Samanic is about to sign somewhere, it's better for the Celtics to sign Samanic and cut Vonleh, because if they ultimately need the roster spot for a trade they would have just cut Vonleh anyway and not signed Samanic, so there'd be no difference.  And if they don't need the roster spot at the deadline, then they haven't lost Samanic to another team.  The Celtics probably have a couple more weeks to decide if they want to keep Luka, but I don't think he's sticking in Maine all year -- someone is going to sign him by the end of January.

« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2022, 03:00:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Remember, Luka averaged something like 29 ppg in the G-league last year. 

I don't think he's anywhere close to ready for the NBA, though.  He'd be better off being coached up in Maine.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2022, 03:04:12 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
For what it is worth, these are the G-League players of the month from last season:

Chris Clemons
Craig Randall II
Mason Jones
Saben Lee

It is great for Samanic to have accomplished that.  He is young and still has a lot of promise.  I definitely want to keep him in the organization so he has a chance to develop further.  But this is still the G-League.

If there is a risk that we are going to lose him, I prefer him on a 2-way to Kabengele.

« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2022, 03:04:52 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 983
Remember, Luka averaged something like 29 ppg in the G-league last year. 

I don't think he's anywhere close to ready for the NBA, though.  He'd be better off being coached up in Maine.

He’s not ready for the NBA, I agree.  I just want him on the 15-man roster before someone like Detroit decides to give him a shot, because they can develop him and tank at the same time.

« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2022, 07:53:30 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Now playing on NBCSB: Maine vs. Raptors. Nice to see Kuka, JD, Kabengele and Valentine on the floor
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 08:34:00 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2022, 09:04:12 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Now playing on NBCSB: Maine vs. Raptors. Nice to see Kuka, JD, Kabengele and Valentine on the floor

JD looking good
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2022, 09:08:28 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Luka MOM. Shows how deep our team is that he can't find a spot in it.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2022, 09:42:52 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I see he had 31, 7 and 7 with a block to boot. I really hope we can keep him long term.

« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2022, 11:46:25 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I see he had 31, 7 and 7 with a block to boot. I really hope we can keep him long term.

Dunno man. I've watched him live a couple times now and I'm not sure what he's good at. Yes he has versatility. But I'm not seeing excellence in any facets of his game.

IMO you need to be very good at at least one major NBA-caliber skill to stick in the league.

« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2022, 09:16:58 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
wrong thread sorry

« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2022, 02:33:21 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Haven’t watched much of the Maine Celtics this year but decided to flip it on since the 1pm NFL matchups didn’t seem great. Davison is fun to watch… I would definitely go to these games if I lived closer to Portland.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2022, 04:24:59 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
Haven’t watched much of the Maine Celtics this year but decided to flip it on since the 1pm NFL matchups didn’t seem great. Davison is fun to watch… I would definitely go to these games if I lived closer to Portland.

JD is exciting. He needs to work on his shooting and TOs. He should workout with Pritchard in the off season.

« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2022, 04:51:43 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
End of the game today was pretty exciting. Samanic stuffed a guy attempting a transition layup, back the other way, JD takes an alleyoop pass from practically behind the backboard and slams it. They end up losing when Samanic missing a shot in final 10 secs left (shot too early) and Raptors 905 converts down the other end.  Valentine had a big game.

« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2022, 10:58:53 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
End of the game today was pretty exciting. Samanic stuffed a guy attempting a transition layup, back the other way, JD takes an alleyoop pass from practically behind the backboard and slams it. They end up losing when Samanic missing a shot in final 10 secs left (shot too early) and Raptors 905 converts down the other end.  Valentine had a big game.

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2022, 07:46:41 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Maine is currently on NBC  Sports Boston for those interested.  They are up 30 in the first half.  Samanic has 17 points, Kab has 10, and Davison has 2.  I just turned it on.

https://www.espn.com/nba-g-league/boxscore/_/gameId/401481736