Author Topic: 2019 Historical: How Does My Team Look Thread  (Read 52550 times)

Re: 2019 Historical: How Does My Team Look Thread
« Reply #240 on: September 06, 2019, 10:31:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not sure any team could hang with this team offensively.

I like LA’s balance a lot, but I think that plenty of teams in this league can hang with them offensively.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #241 on: September 06, 2019, 10:37:02 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Against Philly.

Bird scored 2ppg more than Bob in head to head. Rebound and got more assist though. Plus 2 to philly.

In 2002-2003 NOT prime payton. Payton outscore kidd 87 to 64. Slight advantage to kidd in rebounds. Advantage in assists. Advantage shooting percentage to payton. And that was old payton. Payton wins by 1

Lets call kobe and pierce a draw. Its really close

Malone versus dave. Malone wpuldnt bully as much. And malone himeself states that without stockton he wasnt nearly as good. But kidd is as good atvsetting people up as stockton. Advantage malone. Plus 2.

Hakeem smokes patrick ewing. Statistically. Head to head all favor hakeem. Plus 2

Bench

Tiny versus a 6foot8 pg eho can postup yet has the speed to defend tiny. Advantage penny plus 1

Moncrief and king. Draw

Aguirre melo. Slightest of advantages to melo due to size and postup ability. Plus 1

Lucas horford. Horford has mobilty to defend on perimeter and is 4 inches taller and weighs more. Advantage horford. Plus 1

Lanier and kat is interesting. One plays strong inside which is a weakness for kat. One plays outside in which is a weakness for lanier. So draw?

Head to head spurs win.

But then the arguement will change to fit and chemistry and Kobe will get pointed at for destroying chemistry. But in 2008 olympics he was a true teammate. I know it olympics and not nba but it just proves that the notion that kobe is all about kobe is false. He is about winning and doing what it takes. Problem is he never had real strong teams around him so he had to go mamba. With a team he was fine

Heck i remember once jeremy lin waved off kobe. And kobe didnt kill him.
I don't know if your use of stat categories to determine who wins match-ups is really sensible or conducive to good debate. Especially when you're using head-to-head stats, when the season I'm using for Bird was a season didn't even feature Dandridge in the league. Bird wasn't even a SF when he came up against Dandridge.

Payton vs Kidd is definitely a draw, can't really see how you'd argue otherwise.

Malone would certainly bully the 6'6" 220lbs Debusschere. Malone was one of the most physically imposing big men of all time.

Roy already addressed the Ewing vs Hakeem point you made - Ewing most certainly didn't have his lunch eaten by Hakeem in the season I chose.

I also really don't think you're comprehending just how unstoppable Tiny was in the early 70's. Penny certainly doesn't have the quickness to defend him - nobody did. That's how he nearly averaged 35/11 with double digit FTA numbers.

Melo has the advantage over Aguirre, but I'd like Kirilenko's chances to defend him.

Lucas is also an immeasurably better rebounder than Horford was, more efficient and a comparable passer.

Also really surprised to see you call KAT vs Lanier a draw. Lanier (as well as Kirilenko) is one of 18 players to finish a season with a VORP of over 7.5. Obviously not the be-all and end-all, but I really don't think KAT has the toughness or defensive ability to go with Lanier.

Plus, I have another triple-double threat with all-league defence off the bench in Lever. I really don't see your Spurs taking down my team.

Easily takes them down.

Hakeem versus Ewing, with a proper team around Hakeem. Not even close, sure statistically in a bubble they looked comparible. But lets get honest here. In a one on one competition. hakeem wins every time. Every time.

Malone would try and bully Dave, but Dave was crazy strong and tough. I gave malone the advantage there. gave him a clear advantage. But I can make changes to limit that should i choose.

And Penny was quick enough and long enough to slow Tiny. And he would completely destroy him on the other end of the court.

Payton is superior offensively. and is a better wing defender. Payton is better. That is why every ranking of point guards ever made has Payton above Kidd. That is not a draw. That is a win. Kidd was a better rebounder. I will give him that. but this team isnt missing as many shots.

I gave Bird a nice advantage over Bob, although if Cooper defended Bird well, I remain confident that a better offensive and faster Dandridge would have done as good as anyone could do. But bird still wins.

Lucas was a very good rebounder, playing in a time with much smaller players around him and him dominating team rebounds. I got Melo and KAT around Horford who combine for 20 rebounds per game. Lucas never had that. Horford is bigger, stronger, just as good a shooter, a better playmaker. but yeah a worse rebounder.

KAT and alnier I considered a draw. KAT will trade 3s for 2s with Bob. Lanier never played or had to defend a perimeter, fast moving, quick shooting center like KAT, but KAT dont like bruisers like Lanier. I still call a draw there

« Reply #242 on: September 06, 2019, 10:42:47 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Who is better - Penny or Payton?

Both guys in 1995-96. Payton was DPOY but Penny was the PG chosen as First Team All-NBA. Not Payton. Not Stockton. Penny was the PG selected. Penny finished 3rd in MVP voting that year.

'95-96 Penny.   That was probably his peak season.  Healthy.  Shot over 50% from the field (for a PG!).  Dishing out 7 assists per game.   Serviceable rebounder. 

Mid 90s Penny was something else.  He was fast-tracking to HOF before the wheels came off due to a variety of factors.  Matchup nightmare.
^this. Peak Penny was considered to be one of the point forward pioneers of the 90s alongside Grant Hill.

So who should start - Penny or Payton?

On that team?  With Kobe in the backcourt?  I'd lean Payton.   I think they'd mesh better.

It would be fascinating to see how a Hardaway/Kobe backcourt would work, though.   Fast breaks would be fun.
Imo it should be Penny. Penny was more mobile and could cover more ground, which would be good for defending waterbug guards as well as providing help defense by roaming around. His passing would also be a good complement to Kobe and Hakeem, and it wasn't like he was a non shooter from 3 (averaged 32% from 3 or so in the 90s when 3s were still eschewed for big wings like him).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #243 on: September 06, 2019, 10:44:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
That is why every ranking of point guards ever made has Payton above Kidd.

Literally the first result on google for best PGs of all-time:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarankPGs/ranking-top-10-point-guards-ever

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #244 on: September 06, 2019, 10:46:44 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1625
  • What a Pub Should Be

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/nbarankPGs/ranking-top-10-point-guards-ever

Haha...oh boy.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #245 on: September 06, 2019, 10:53:04 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I really think Somebody's team might be the best. I know little about Cowens, but the Curry-Irving-McGrady-Garnett core is unbelievable. Marion, Nash, Green at their best as backups is awesome too. I'm not sure any team could hang with this team offensively. And defensively, Green, Garnett, McGrady, and Marion would be terrifying to go against, even for the best scorers.

I like Brand, but even though his numbers were good, I'm not sure he was ever a great player. Eddie Jones is in the boat in my opinion.

Still, that top 8 is balanced with shooting, playmaking, offense, defensive versatility, and unbelievable tenacity.
Wow that's very high praise! Brand's peak was immense, he was an MVP candidate in the 05-06 season alongside guys like Kobe, Wade, Nash, LeBron, Dirk and Billups by dragging a subpar Clipper team to 47 wins and a playoff berth. He obviously wasn't on that level, but imo he was just a level below the holy trinity of PFs in the 00s (Dirk, Duncan and KG) during his peak. Eddie Jones was a decent All-Star guy who worked hard on defense and shot a lot of threes at a decent clip, kind of like a budget Klay with more athleticism. Cowens was an undersized C who made up for his lack of size with an outside shot, passing, strength, speed, physical play and an unrelenting motor as one of the best players during the 70s Celtics dynasty.

I do think that you're underrating offenses from teams like Portland and Philadelphia though, those teams are absolutely loaded.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #246 on: September 06, 2019, 10:53:55 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

lol.

trash list

Any list that puts Kidd above Payton is a terrible list.
Any list that puts Kidd above Walt is just not even worth looking at.

« Reply #247 on: September 06, 2019, 10:57:33 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

lol.

trash list

Every single list on the first page of google’s search results has Kidd ranked higher.

The hyperbolic schtick is actually hurting your team, because nobody takes your ability to evaluate players seriously. Nobody else is throwing out wild statements and completely disrespecting other teams.

« Reply #248 on: September 06, 2019, 11:00:16 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
http://bkref.com/tiny/Cm5tu

Gary scored more, shot better, turned over less, lower usage.

Kidd got more rebounds and assists.

but yeah Kidd was better....

« Reply #249 on: September 06, 2019, 11:00:18 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Against Philly.

Bird scored 2ppg more than Bob in head to head. Rebound and got more assist though. Plus 2 to philly.

In 2002-2003 NOT prime payton. Payton outscore kidd 87 to 64. Slight advantage to kidd in rebounds. Advantage in assists. Advantage shooting percentage to payton. And that was old payton. Payton wins by 1

Malone versus dave. Malone wpuldnt bully as much. And malone himeself states that without stockton he wasnt nearly as good. But kidd is as good atvsetting people up as stockton. Advantage malone. Plus 2.

Hakeem smokes patrick ewing. Statistically. Head to head all favor hakeem. Plus 2

Bench

Tiny versus a 6foot8 pg eho can postup yet has the speed to defend tiny. Advantage penny plus 1

Moncrief and king. Draw

Aguirre melo. Slightest of advantages to melo due to size and postup ability. Plus 1

Lucas horford. Horford has mobilty to defend on perimeter and is 4 inches taller and weighs more. Advantage horford. Plus 1

Lanier and kat is interesting. One plays strong inside which is a weakness for kat. One plays outside in which is a weakness for lanier. So draw?

Head to head spurs win.

But then the arguement will change to fit and chemistry and Kobe will get pointed at for destroying chemistry. But in 2008 olympics he was a true teammate. I know it olympics and not nba but it just proves that the notion that kobe is all about kobe is false. He is about winning and doing what it takes. Problem is he never had real strong teams around him so he had to go mamba. With a team he was fine

I don't know if your use of stat categories to determine who wins match-ups is really sensible or conducive to good debate. Especially when you're using head-to-head stats, when the season I'm using for Bird was a season didn't even feature Dandridge in the league. Bird wasn't even a SF when he came up against Dandridge.

Payton vs Kidd is definitely a draw, can't really see how you'd argue otherwise.

Malone would certainly bully the 6'6" 220lbs Debusschere. Malone was one of the most physically imposing big men of all time.

Roy already addressed the Ewing vs Hakeem point you made - Ewing most certainly didn't have his lunch eaten by Hakeem in the season I chose.

I also really don't think you're comprehending just how unstoppable Tiny was in the early 70's. Penny certainly doesn't have the quickness to defend him - nobody did. That's how he nearly averaged 35/11 with double digit FTA numbers.

Melo has the advantage over Aguirre, but I'd like Kirilenko's chances to defend him.

Lucas is also an immeasurably better rebounder than Horford was, more efficient and a comparable passer.

Also really surprised to see you call KAT vs Lanier a draw. Lanier (as well as Kirilenko) is one of 18 players to finish a season with a VORP of over 7.5. Obviously not the be-all and end-all, but I really don't think KAT has the toughness or defensive ability to go with Lanier.

Plus, I have another triple-double threat with all-league defence off the bench in Lever. I really don't see your Spurs taking down my team.

Easily takes them down.

Hakeem versus Ewing, with a proper team around Hakeem. Not even close, sure statistically in a bubble they looked comparible. But lets get honest here. In a one on one competition. hakeem wins every time. Every time.

Malone would try and bully Dave, but Dave was crazy strong and tough. I gave malone the advantage there. gave him a clear advantage. But I can make changes to limit that should i choose.

And Penny was quick enough and long enough to slow Tiny. And he would completely destroy him on the other end of the court.

Payton is superior offensively. and is a better wing defender. Payton is better. That is why every ranking of point guards ever made has Payton above Kidd. That is not a draw. That is a win. Kidd was a better rebounder. I will give him that. but this team isnt missing as many shots.

I gave Bird a nice advantage over Bob, although if Cooper defended Bird well, I remain confident that a better offensive and faster Dandridge would have done as good as anyone could do. But bird still wins.

Lucas was a very good rebounder, playing in a time with much smaller players around him and him dominating team rebounds. I got Melo and KAT around Horford who combine for 20 rebounds per game. Lucas never had that. Horford is bigger, stronger, just as good a shooter, a better playmaker. but yeah a worse rebounder.

KAT and alnier I considered a draw. KAT will trade 3s for 2s with Bob. Lanier never played or had to defend a perimeter, fast moving, quick shooting center like KAT, but KAT dont like bruisers like Lanier. I still call a draw there
Key word is one on one. This exercise has some of the greatest supporting casts of all time, and Hakeem's style of play isn't very scalable on loaded teams (iso heavy post offense that eats up the shot clock, mediocre passing and inefficient offense compared to his contemporaries excluding his amazing playoff run, which is important because teams in this game will be playing an 82 game season to get into a 2 team playoff series). I don't like Ewing's skillset as well due to his poor vision and heavy reliance on scoring in the post, but the role he'll be playing will be almost like a rim runner on that 76ers squad, where he can focus on defense, so his deficiencies can be covered somewhat (although I'm skeptical whether he can truly scale back his offense for the 76er offense to reach its maximum potential). And the 70s had a bunch of undersized Cs who ran a lot and shot a ton of outside shots lol. Prime Lanier would maul KAT alive, he was seriously one of the best Cs in the 70s who dragged a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty Detroit team to some pretty good playoff runs.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #250 on: September 06, 2019, 11:01:26 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

lol.

trash list

Every single list on the first page of google’s search results has Kidd ranked higher.

The hyperbolic schtick is actually hurting your team, because nobody takes your ability to evaluate players seriously. Nobody else is throwing out wild statements and completely disrespecting other teams.

please, votes have been cast already.

and I am not completely disrespecing any other teams at all.

The opposite is happening if anything, my team is getting disrespected.

« Reply #251 on: September 06, 2019, 11:02:35 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Against Philly.

Bench

Moncrief and king. Draw

Head to head spurs win.

Easily takes them down.

Key word is one on one. This exercise has some of the greatest supporting casts of all time, and Hakeem's style of play isn't very scalable on loaded teams (iso heavy post offense that eats up the shot clock, mediocre passing and inefficient offense compared to his contemporaries excluding his amazing playoff run, which is important because teams in this game will be playing an 82 game season to get into a 2 team playoff series). I don't like Ewing's skillset as well due to his poor vision and heavy reliance on scoring in the post, but the role he'll be playing will be almost like a rim runner on that 76ers squad, where he can focus on defense, so his deficiencies can be covered somewhat (although I'm skeptical whether he can truly scale back his offense for the 76er offense to reach its maximum potential). And the 70s had a bunch of undersized Cs who ran a lot and shot a ton of outside shots lol. Prime Lanier would maul KAT alive, he was seriously one of the best Cs in the 70s who dragged a ****ty Detroit team to some pretty good playoff runs.

So Hakeem wont do well.

lol

Yeah\

I am out, Spurs leave the league

« Reply #252 on: September 06, 2019, 11:03:37 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1625
  • What a Pub Should Be

lol.

trash list

please, votes have been cast already.

and I am not completely disrespecing any other teams at all.

The opposite is happening if anything, my team is getting disrespected.

Or you simply have an over-inflated view of your own team....

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #253 on: September 06, 2019, 11:06:51 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Against Philly.

Bench

Moncrief and king. Draw

Head to head spurs win.

Easily takes them down.

Key word is one on one. This exercise has some of the greatest supporting casts of all time, and Hakeem's style of play isn't very scalable on loaded teams (iso heavy post offense that eats up the shot clock, mediocre passing and inefficient offense compared to his contemporaries excluding his amazing playoff run, which is important because teams in this game will be playing an 82 game season to get into a 2 team playoff series). I don't like Ewing's skillset as well due to his poor vision and heavy reliance on scoring in the post, but the role he'll be playing will be almost like a rim runner on that 76ers squad, where he can focus on defense, so his deficiencies can be covered somewhat (although I'm skeptical whether he can truly scale back his offense for the 76er offense to reach its maximum potential). And the 70s had a bunch of undersized Cs who ran a lot and shot a ton of outside shots lol. Prime Lanier would maul KAT alive, he was seriously one of the best Cs in the 70s who dragged a ****ty Detroit team to some pretty good playoff runs.

So Hakeem wont do well.

lol

Yeah\

I am out, Spurs leave the league
Yeah no one said that. I've been very consistent on Hakeem in the draft threads by maintaining that he needs a 1 in 4 out system where he can rack up an insanely high usage rate to shine in this league.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #254 on: September 06, 2019, 11:07:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558

lol.

trash list

I've used ESPN a lot in this.  They have Kidd at 35 and Payton at 41.  Same general range, not much difference, but with Kidd the slight edge.  That seems right to me.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip