C / C-
15 (7.9%)
D+
6 (3.2%)
D / D-
6 (3.2%)
F
9 (4.8%)
Incomplete (I Just Can't Give It A Grade Yet)
15 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Author Topic: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade  (Read 59020 times)

Re: Poll: Give The Kyrie Irving-To-Boston Trade A Letter Grade
« Reply #255 on: May 16, 2018, 09:26:15 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Rachel Nichols
‏Verified account
 @Rachel__Nichols

So the Kyrie Irving deal is complete - the Cavs traded a top-10 NBA player to Boston for...Isaiah Thomas (turned into Jordan Clarkson & Larry Nance Jr), Jae Crowder (turned into Rodney Hood) and the 8th-overall pick in this year’s draft. Judge it as you will.

5:22 PM - 15 May 2018

This kind of sums it up. Also got George Hill from the Crowder deal.

Also, I think Kyrie is Top-15 NBA Player, NOT Top-10. But yeah, this sums it up lol.

Not too bad. My grade as of now is a B+ for the trade. A lot depends on Kyrie's health going forward, whether he re-signs, and if CLE wins it all this year (latter seems doubtful, even if they comeback this series, no way in hell they beat Golden State).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #256 on: May 16, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Time to put in my final grade. Since it appears that this trade boiled down to:

Kyrie Irving for
#24 pick (Cleveland traded this to get Clarkson)

#8 pick
Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance Jr.
Zizic
George Hill
#56 2nd round pick

Then there's no question that's a "A". Ainge wins again. From a returns standpoint that's an insane trade.

It's no secret that I wasn't overjoyed with the deal. I didn't hate it and I understood it but I wasn't exceptionally pleased with it. Some people misinterpret this as being an IT homer. I understood why it made sense to ship him off (even before we knew the extent of his injury). It's because I had, and still have, serious reservations about Irving's true value. I don't value him nearly as highly as others here. There's an argument to be made that he's not even the best PG on this team. He'll outscore and outshoot Rozier and neither is a particularly good passer; but Terry is a far better rebound and miles better on the defensive end. If Rozier is as good as these playoffs suggest then that's a much closer battle than some will admit. Kyrie is a big name but I don't think he plays like a superstar. I don't think he showed much growth with his game this year either.

However, Irving has far more value then anything else we gave away. IT appears to be broken. Crowder looks like a (valuable) bench contributor for Utah. The pick ended up being worse than most of us expected. Meanwhile, if we wanted to pair Irving with a pick we could swing a deal for another superstar (Leonard? Cousins?). Meanwhile, even if we keep Irving the value is far higher for this team than what we ultimately disposed of.

So yeah, this was ultimately a deal that really hurt the Cs biggest competitor and didn't hurt the Celtics at all. That's an A in my book.

I agree with this take. Even if you're not the biggest Irving fan - from a value standpoint - this is a fantastic deal. We will either be able to trade Irving for a much better return or retain his services for like the next 6 years on a deserved max contract.

And, while tarheels take is a little out of left field, one can't help but realize that the end of IT's and Irving's seasons look exactly the same (injured for the playoffs). And that is disappointing when your team is so close to reaching the NBA Finals.

« Reply #257 on: May 16, 2018, 10:01:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Time to put in my final grade. Since it appears that this trade boiled down to:

Kyrie Irving for
#24 pick (Cleveland traded this to get Clarkson)

#8 pick
Jordan Clarkson
Larry Nance Jr.
Zizic
George Hill
#56 2nd round pick

Then there's no question that's a "A". Ainge wins again. From a returns standpoint that's an insane trade.

It's no secret that I wasn't overjoyed with the deal. I didn't hate it and I understood it but I wasn't exceptionally pleased with it. Some people misinterpret this as being an IT homer. I understood why it made sense to ship him off (even before we knew the extent of his injury). It's because I had, and still have, serious reservations about Irving's true value. I don't value him nearly as highly as others here. There's an argument to be made that he's not even the best PG on this team. He'll outscore and outshoot Rozier and neither is a particularly good passer; but Terry is a far better rebound and miles better on the defensive end. If Rozier is as good as these playoffs suggest then that's a much closer battle than some will admit. Kyrie is a big name but I don't think he plays like a superstar. I don't think he showed much growth with his game this year either.

However, Irving has far more value then anything else we gave away. IT appears to be broken. Crowder looks like a (valuable) bench contributor for Utah. The pick ended up being worse than most of us expected. Meanwhile, if we wanted to pair Irving with a pick we could swing a deal for another superstar (Leonard? Cousins?). Meanwhile, even if we keep Irving the value is far higher for this team than what we ultimately disposed of.

So yeah, this was ultimately a deal that really hurt the Cs biggest competitor and didn't hurt the Celtics at all. That's an A in my book.
TP. Basically
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #258 on: May 16, 2018, 03:57:54 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Sorry if I angeredamyone. Not bad intent. Respect ur opinions, hope u do mine. I love u.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #259 on: May 16, 2018, 04:13:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Sorry if I angeredamyone. Not bad intent. Respect ur opinions, hope u do mine. I love u.

Lol for some reason I thought that was some vocabulary word I didn't know and tried looking it up. Then I realized it was just a mistake (supposed to be, "angered anyone")  :P :laugh:

« Reply #260 on: May 16, 2018, 04:15:38 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Lol for some reason I thought that was some vocabulary word I didn't know and tried looking it up. Then I realized it was just a mistake (supposed to be, "angered anyone")  :P :laugh:

Yes. Anesthesia. Maybe u can talk nick into adding me to the friend circle. Hes lovely.

No baiting here, just opinion. May e I. Wrong and ktrie will win me over. Jaylen said Marcus was born with his hands dirty. That's great
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #261 on: May 17, 2018, 03:21:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I gave this trade a B+ when it was made.

I was wrong.

Danny gets an A+.

« Reply #262 on: May 17, 2018, 03:24:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
God bless, people still think knee inflammation/soreness and a positive bacterial biopsy is a character flaw.

Celticsblog. Celticsblog never changes.

« Reply #263 on: May 17, 2018, 03:29:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Its definitely an A++ with hindsight. The pick wasn't a great slot, and it didn't jump into the top 3. The upside of the pick was the big cost of the trade at this point, now we know it didn't happen.

The Crowder had the best season of the players we gave up and his replacement had a better season than he did. Kyrie was a clear upgrade on IT and is younger with an additional year of team control.

I was skeptical about the trade because I love IT and what he did while with the C's but the trade has been a home run.

« Reply #264 on: May 17, 2018, 03:53:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Its definitely an A++ with hindsight. The pick wasn't a great slot, and it didn't jump into the top 3. The upside of the pick was the big cost of the trade at this point, now we know it didn't happen.

The Crowder had the best season of the players we gave up and his replacement had a better season than he did. Kyrie was a clear upgrade on IT and is younger with an additional year of team control.

I was skeptical about the trade because I love IT and what he did while with the C's but the trade has been a home run.

Yeah, plus the #8 pick might not be as sexy a trade asset. Meaning, you could still use it in a package to maybe acquire someone like Lowry, Beal or McCollum, but unless you package it with Kevin Love and another piece, you may not get someone like Kawhi Leonard (though even that Love + BKN Pick package might not get Kawhi either).

If the pick was Top-3, it would be an extremely sexy trade asset for Kawhi or another bonafide star/superstar (if it meant keeping Lebron in Cleveland).

As for the trade grade, I originally said C/C-. Danny proved me wrong (again). It's now at a B+. Still depends on Kyrie's long term health AND whether he re-signs with us or not (no guarantee though I think he does).

« Reply #265 on: May 17, 2018, 04:02:32 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
The 8th pick could still land a very good player in this draft but it wasn’t a top-3 pick so we shouldn’t be too upset losing it.

That said, there are still the injuries to both stars that have to work themselves out. I have hopes that both return to pain-free basketball with no loss of athleticism/explosiveness. But Kyrie does have a knee issue and IT a hip one. Hopefully both are now fully resolved and they can resume All-NBA caliber basketball. .

I don’t see it as a real issue (or at least not to the extent that IT’s extension would have been), but resigning Kyrie is something that still needs to be done.

I still feel this trade is incomplete until we see who is there at 8 (if someone like Porter is still there, wow) and how both stars return from their respective injuries.

Sure is looking like an A, though.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #266 on: May 18, 2018, 12:15:05 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I'm shocked to see it mentioned in this thread that the last #8 pick to become an All-Star was Vin Baker ('93)

;D

« Reply #267 on: June 21, 2018, 08:25:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
So Kyrie for Zizic, Hood, Clarkson, Nance, Hill & Sexton.

Originally said C/C-, now it's a very solid B+ from me  ;D

« Reply #268 on: June 21, 2018, 08:31:24 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
So Kyrie for Zizic, Hood, Clarkson, Nance, Hill & Sexton.

Originally said C/C-, now it's a very solid B+ from me  ;D

But I thought we got fleeced by Cleveland?  :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #269 on: June 21, 2018, 08:33:27 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
#8 became Sexton...all pieces of deal now known!