Author Topic: would you trade both Marcus's and the MEM pick for Aaron Gordon?  (Read 8973 times)

Re: would you trade both Marcus's and the MEM pick for Aaron Gordon?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 08:53:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Interesting idea. Gordon is a great defender, but miles better than Smart offensively. However, I think giving up that Memphis pick would be foolish, and Gordon doesn't fit well on this team as he would start ahead of JT, Hayward or AH.

Ultimately I'd say no
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 09:58:46 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Hell no!
Way too much to give up. Morris and a pick, at MOST.

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 10:01:14 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Hell no!

you have to match salaries, no?

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 10:25:33 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
It would be a big roster shakeup, and for that reason I don't know if I would do it. I think the current roster as is has a good chance at a championship. But the idea of starting Gordon at the 4 and bringing Hayward off the bench as the sixth man is very appealing to me.

Hayward is a top 20 player. He’s not coming off the bench.

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 12:25:40 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It would be a big roster shakeup, and for that reason I don't know if I would do it. I think the current roster as is has a good chance at a championship. But the idea of starting Gordon at the 4 and bringing Hayward off the bench as the sixth man is very appealing to me.

Hayward is a top 20 player. He’s not coming off the bench.
Especially considering how much better at shooting, passing and scoring he is than Gordon
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 06:31:11 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Hell no!

you have to match salaries, no?
Oh right.  OK, no deal.

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2018, 06:56:22 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Let's say it's getting close to the trade deadline and Danny thinks the team needs to bolster the front court. Does he consider a quantity for quality trade such as this? Orlando likes Gordon, but start to really like Isaac. They need a point guard and wouldn't mind getting an expiring and a lottery pick in return as well. Boston throws in Yabusele to make the salaries work, so it would be..

ORL gets: Marcus Smart, Marcus Morris, Guerschon Yabusele, MEM pick (probably falls between 9-14)
BOS gets: Aaron Gordon

Celtics roll in to the playoffs with an unreal 8 man rotation of Irving, Hayward, Horford, Gordon, Tatum, Brown, Rozier, Baynes..

Remember that Gordon is one of the better and more versatile defenders in the league and isn't even 23 yet. Reasonable contract for a player of his caliber.

Would you do this? Would Boston need to sweeten the pot?

I'm not touching this deal strictly for two reason.  One we don't know if Irving is staying after this year.  So Smart is locked up and could be a starting point guard if Irving and Rozier leave.  Two we don't really have a spot for him completely.  He's not going to start over Hayward or Tatum.  So I'd say no for this two big reason.  Plus I rather keep the Memphis pick and use that and our pick or Clippers pick to get another high pick this year or move back to another draft.

I agree to some extent that retaining smart is smart in case kyrie and Terry leave - team needs a point guard, and it’s a very weak draft and free agency class for point guards.

Maybe just let Hayward and Horf run point...and go nuts...

And Aaron Gordon could sort of playmake too in this scenario
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 07:15:09 AM by pokeKingCurtis »

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 07:47:58 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Sure, if salaries match. Plus, Morris shouldn't be included because he's clutch.

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 08:05:35 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
The rumor I keep hearing on the basketball podcasts I listen to are Gordon for CJ McCallum
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2018, 09:14:46 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Yes.

It's basically two backups and a mid-first round pick for a super young high level starter. Gordon would be another versatile defender to put on guys like Simmons, Giannis, Leonard, Durant, and James. His 3 point percentages appears to be trending up and I'd be very comfortable with him taking Smart and Morris' possessions/attempts. I think he fits in perfectly with our switch heavy system and wing/swing heavy lineup.

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 09:20:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Orlando would never do it, no upside for them and Gordon's contract isn't onerous.

It'd be a talent upgrade, but I'm very skeptical it'd work out even if the Magic agreed for some reason.

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 10:14:53 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Yes.

It's basically two backups and a mid-first round pick for a super young high level starter. Gordon would be another versatile defender to put on guys like Simmons, Giannis, Leonard, Durant, and James. His 3 point percentages appears to be trending up and I'd be very comfortable with him taking Smart and Morris' possessions/attempts. I think he fits in perfectly with our switch heavy system and wing/swing heavy lineup.

Or you could look at it from a different perspective. Your trading two backups and a mid-first round pick (if conveys in 2019*) for one bench player. The fact of the matter is Aaron Gordon is not starting over either Hayward or Tatum. The good thing about Smart and Morris is that their both capable of starting, but are only backups due to the level of talent in front of them. Also, both of those guys have basically accepted their roles as backups on this team, and thrived at it and bring much needed toughness. Would Aaron Gordon accept a role as a backup and find a way to make consistant contributions coming off the bench?

*The Memphis pick top 8 protected in 2019, top 6 in 2020, and unprotected in 2021. That pick has a lot of potentional if Mike Conley gets injured again.

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 11:53:28 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
If only Terry's extension deadline was after the trade deadline...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2018, 12:07:42 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Yes.

Or you could look at it from a different perspective. Your trading two backups and a mid-first round pick (if conveys in 2019*) for one bench player. The fact of the matter is Aaron Gordon is not starting over either Hayward or Tatum. The good thing about Smart and Morris is that their both capable of starting, but are only backups due to the level of talent in front of them. Also, both of those guys have basically accepted their roles as backups on this team, and thrived at it and bring much needed toughness. Would Aaron Gordon accept a role as a backup and find a way to make consistant contributions coming off the bench?

*The Memphis pick top 8 protected in 2019, top 6 in 2020, and unprotected in 2021. That pick has a lot of potentional if Mike Conley gets injured again.

Gordon's willingness to come off the bench would definitely be a sticking point, but from a talent and timeline standpoint I think he's worth it. He put up 17 points and 8 rebounds a night at the age of 22 so I'd say he has plenty of potential. He's younger than Rozier and Ojeleye, plus is on a very nice contract.

The Memphis pick has potential, but so does Gordon, he could be as good as Hayward and more productive than Horford in a couple of seasons. He would be for us what Iguodala was for GSW a few seasons back a sixth man.

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2018, 01:18:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Giving up the two tough guy, enforcer types, that love to do the dirty work would seriously change the make-up of this team.

Also, Orlando signed him to a pretty excellent contract and love his game. He is a piece they are building around so there is just no way the do to Gordon what they did to Toby Harris.