Author Topic: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread  (Read 113799 times)

Re: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2017, 09:43:28 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
For the life of me I don't understand how people who watched the Celtics last year, especially in the playoffs, are concerned that Doncic is too slow to defend NBA PGs, and that since he's a PG, it's a problem.  IT is 5'9" and can't defend NBA PGs regularly, so they threw him on taller, low usage wings, whom he gave up 8-12 inches to.  Doncic is a foot taller -- the Celtics can throw him on those low usage wings the very same way, except they wouldn't have a height disadvantage.

And even if you think I'm wrong about the above, and that he will be forced to guard those 6'2" PG, logically that means that they'll have to guard him.  And that's going to work completely to his advantage, as he'll have no trouble getting his shot off nor seeing over them to make whatever pass he wants.

I personally don't think the athleticism/quickness thing is actually set in stone -- he's just 18 and those attributes are probably still catching up to his size a fair bit.  But he's got elite skills and an elite ability to see the court on both ends.  He can be a star with only average athleticism.
You'd think Boston fans would know a thing or two about stars with average athleticism ;)

I don't know why he's overlooked to the degree that he is by some on this board.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2017, 10:13:56 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
For the life of me I don't understand how people who watched the Celtics last year, especially in the playoffs, are concerned that Doncic is too slow to defend NBA PGs, and that since he's a PG, it's a problem.  IT is 5'9" and can't defend NBA PGs regularly, so they threw him on taller, low usage wings, whom he gave up 8-12 inches to.  Doncic is a foot taller -- the Celtics can throw him on those low usage wings the very same way, except they wouldn't have a height disadvantage.

And even if you think I'm wrong about the above, and that he will be forced to guard those 6'2" PG, logically that means that they'll have to guard him.  And that's going to work completely to his advantage, as he'll have no trouble getting his shot off nor seeing over them to make whatever pass he wants.

I personally don't think the athleticism/quickness thing is actually set in stone -- he's just 18 and those attributes are probably still catching up to his size a fair bit.  But he's got elite skills and an elite ability to see the court on both ends.  He can be a star with only average athleticism.
You'd think Boston fans would know a thing or two about stars with average athleticism ;)

I don't know why he's overlooked to the degree that he is by some on this board.
We aren't saying he won't be good, we think he'll be a star but what we want is a guy who'll be a 1st tier guy like AD and Bagley, Porter and Ayton all have a better shot at being that. I think KGLL was just annoyed by some who proclaim Doncic as the next big thing, I mean he has excellent talent but not (yet, if he tears it up in Real I'll be screaming Luka and Bagley instead of Bagley and Ayton) transcendent talent.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2017, 10:27:47 AM »

Offline MichaelJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
The kid is skilled and I think he'll be a star as well.  Next big thing?  Could be, but premature.  If he's going to be a PG the C's are best served to hold both picks and shoot for Doncic and the best big they can get.  Adding those two to the talent we already have will lead to a stacked team.  I wouldn't worry about any single transcendent talent at that point.  If they fit and can all develop chemistry, the Celtics will be difficult to beat for a long time.

« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2017, 10:57:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I have seen a ton of guys compared to Bird but none of them really lined up well with what Larry could do on the court.   Dirk was close in some ways but even he could not pass like Larry nor was he as good as rebounder or making his team mates better.  Most of the time when people compare games to Bird, I just laugh because most of these guys could not hold his jockstrap.

Luka definitely has some skills but Larry's true strengths were between his ears and his intangibles.   That is what separated him and made him special.

« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2017, 10:59:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

We aren't saying he won't be good, we think he'll be a star but what we want is a guy who'll be a 1st tier guy like AD and Bagley, Porter and Ayton all have a better shot at being that. I think KGLL was just annoyed by some who proclaim Doncic as the next big thing, I mean he has excellent talent but not (yet, if he tears it up in Real I'll be screaming Luka and Bagley instead of Bagley and Ayton) transcendent talent.
I simply disagree with your evaluation of his talent then.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #140 on: July 30, 2017, 11:48:51 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I simply disagree with your evaluation of his talent then.
I guess so. We'll see this year, I'll gladly change my opinion about his talent if he beasts the Euroleague lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2017, 12:48:09 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
As of right now, I'm team Bagley and Ayton.

With that being said, I hope Luka Doncic absolutely kills it in Europe this year.  It will only make the draft stronger.

« Reply #142 on: July 30, 2017, 04:13:02 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

TP. At least somebody gets me LoL.

« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2017, 09:10:34 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I have seen a ton of guys compared to Bird but none of them really lined up well with what Larry could do on the court.   Dirk was close in some ways but even he could not pass like Larry nor was he as good as rebounder or making his team mates better.  Most of the time when people compare games to Bird, I just laugh because most of these guys could not hold his jockstrap.

Luka definitely has some skills but Larry's true strengths were between his ears and his intangibles.   That is what separated him and made him special.

That was true of Larry at 23, but at 18 he was washing out of IU.

« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2017, 10:43:23 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Yeah and driving a garbage truck. LOL. Doncic no doubt is far better a player than Larry Legend was at the same age..

« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2017, 06:20:28 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Luka is the real deal.

« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2017, 02:04:49 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2017, 07:24:32 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Yeah and driving a garbage truck. LOL. Doncic no doubt is far better a player than Larry Legend was at the same age..
True but I think nobody will ever replicate Bird's insane killer instinct again, guy would call out shots in the clutch, eg. Left hand 3 point banker and make it
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2017, 01:49:31 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
https://youtu.be/zYgBAEhkudo

Luka Dončić - Slovenia - Czech Republic | 20pts 8reb

The kid is legit as stuff!

« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2017, 02:05:58 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Wait a minute. Did you just say Luke Skywalker was better than Bird at any age? Blasphemy!

Luka is a bum compared to Larry. Please no more Larry Bird comparisons it's asinine.