Author Topic: Celtics (5-0) at Timberwolves (3-2) Game #6 11/6/23  (Read 19378 times)

Re: Celtics (5-0) at Timberwolves (3-2) Game #6 11/6/23
« Reply #510 on: November 08, 2023, 04:54:17 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
agree with last two posts.

See problem = address problem

That's how it works for most of us in our daily lives...and elsewhere all around us.  Regarding this issue the C's seem to exist in a vacuum where the basic laws don't reach.

I don't think anyone is saying they shouldn't address the issue, but I do think it's easier to overreact to one game than to realise it likely won't mean very much in February, or March, or June.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #511 on: November 08, 2023, 09:43:20 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
1. Al's decline is getting worse.  His value has diminished.  Acceptable as a 6-7 man, I guess, but shouldn't start or finish games even if White or other starter is out.

I don't think his decline is much. He just isn't as involved in the offense when your top 4 guys Tatum, Jaylen, Porzingis and Jrue are eating up most of the offensive possessions. D White eats next when he is available. There just isn't much left for Horford to work with. He is a peripheral offensive figure. A ball mover. Odd open shot taker.

His defense still looks really good. He is rebounding the ball well. Physically moving well. Just has a smaller role on offense this year.

Reminds me of Duncan his last year when Aldridge joined. Duncan got relegated to a much reduced offensive role but he was still largely the same player as the one from a year earlier.
FWIW:  Horford has had a positive +/- in every game so far this season.

« Reply #512 on: November 08, 2023, 09:47:59 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 489
Man McDaniels is going to be in the league for a LONG time. He is a fantastic defender for his size.
#JKJB

« Reply #513 on: November 08, 2023, 09:50:09 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
1. Al's decline is getting worse.  His value has diminished.  Acceptable as a 6-7 man, I guess, but shouldn't start or finish games even if White or other starter is out.

I don't think his decline is much. He just isn't as involved in the offense when your top 4 guys Tatum, Jaylen, Porzingis and Jrue are eating up most of the offensive possessions. D White eats next when he is available. There just isn't much left for Horford to work with. He is a peripheral offensive figure. A ball mover. Odd open shot taker.

His defense still looks really good. He is rebounding the ball well. Physically moving well. Just has a smaller role on offense this year.

Reminds me of Duncan his last year when Aldridge joined. Duncan got relegated to a much reduced offensive role but he was still largely the same player as the one from a year earlier.
FWIW:  Horford has had a positive +/- in every game so far this season.
Right now, though, that's a six game sample size.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #514 on: November 08, 2023, 11:06:39 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Al’s value will be against guys like Embiid. Let’s see how he does vs the sixers tom before talking about his “decline”.

« Reply #515 on: November 09, 2023, 11:45:11 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 738
agree with last two posts.

See problem = address problem

That's how it works for most of us in our daily lives...and elsewhere all around us.  Regarding this issue the C's seem to exist in a vacuum where the basic laws don't reach.

I don't think anyone is saying they shouldn't address the issue, but I do think it's easier to overreact to one game than to realise it likely won't mean very much in February, or March, or June.

That's the problem exactly. By not addressing and correcting the problems now, they mean everything in February, March all the way thru June because the team is still making the same mistakes vs better competition in the playoffs and then it costs them the ability to win titles.
Of course, the flawed stars in this current group have been doing the same dumb things their entire careers, which is why they keep falling short.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce