Author Topic: Gordo looking good  (Read 16237 times)

Re: Gordo looking good
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2020, 03:31:12 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I don't get being mad at Gordon. Who cares what his reason was for going to Char.  It is his life to live.  He did the best he could with us after his injury.  He is a good player, and good luck to him and Terry over there this year.  Probably the best thing for all involved.  Gordon gets the money and a bigger role.  I think we are good with JB and JT.  33 / 30 last night for those two.  They will be fine without Gordon as well.

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2020, 03:58:56 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
If I got offered to be on a team where I could be first option vs 3rd, I would take that. My personality would want to be top dog.

Same in the real world, if a company wanted me and offered me less money to be third on the chain of command vs leaving for a company who would put me at the top and on top of this, offer me more money, I would leave and take that bigger role. Once again, this is my personality. Just the same, if at my current place, they brought in 2 people higher than me and I was moved down the chain, I would leave as well for a bigger opportunity.

It is hard to fault anyone. This is not simply about money. It is about being somewhere you can have a larger role. For some people, winning is not everything but rather personal worth and what you want in a role is the most important thing.

Good for Gordon, as top dog, he should be back in the 20's. I hope he has a great season. i do not fault him for his choices but of course as a fan, I wish his desire for winning the finals outranked his desire for more responsibility but that is just not a realistic expectation from me.

Fair enough; people have to make their choices. To finish the analogy, I would add: you’d be leaving a company that is competing to be the very best, where you work with elite teammates and are still very, very well paid — in order to go to the bush leagues where you’ll lose again and again because the company isn’t very good and you can’t carry it by yourself. Also, that big salary they’re paying you is more than the company can really afford ($40M/year, when you include the deferred salary!) and limits their future. He’ll be a big dog in a small yard, and the other packs are going to take his lunch.

I agree with what I think you might be saying - he wanted the money and to get star treatment. He might find he doesn’t enjoy it as much as he thought he would.

Yes, you bring up valid points. My confidence would probably lead me to think I could alter the new companies trajectory and get them back on the road to winning in the future. I was actually made an offer 3 times my current take home from a very large company that was established and chose to stay at a smaller company that I am in the process of growing. Money is not always everything as well. I love to lead and build from the ground up.

You are also right, he might not enjoy not competing for a title in the beginning. I would view it is a big challenge to right the ship under my command. I have no idea how he will view that task ahead of him.

Also worth noting is the fact that if Hayward has another 4-6 seasons averaging something like 25/7/5 with the Hornets making the playoffs a few times towards the end, he's all of a sudden a legitimate candidate to be in the Hall of Fame. That trajectory was not going to happen if he stayed in Boston any longer.

To add to the analogy, the "lesser" company he is joining is also guaranteed to remain solvent, with larger growth potential than his previous company, and there is no guarantee that his previous company will be the industry leader in the next 10 years. In addition to his higher salary, there's better weather, lower taxes, and a lower cost of living & it is a place where his growing family will feel more comfortable. I honestly completely understand why he left.

To use a real-world example, after Tim Cook succeeded Steve Jobs at Apple, I'd have rather been Ron Johnson than Jony Ives. Even though Johnson failed spectacularly, he did his own thing and can be proud of the risk he took. There are fewer "what if's" left. And they both remain spectacularly rich.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 04:06:01 PM by GetLucky »

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2020, 05:27:22 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I think it's worth noting that Terry Rozier scored 42 points in that game and was easily the best player on the floor for the losing team (Hornets) maybe we should have a Terry Rozier appreciation thread?

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2020, 05:31:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think it's worth noting that Terry Rozier scored 42 points in that game and was easily the best player on the floor for the losing team (Hornets) maybe we should have a Terry Rozier appreciation thread?

You didn’t even read the first post.  Please quit being a troll.  The schtick is old.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2020, 08:17:58 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Celts are better without GH

Just one too many of the same type of players on the court.

I don't know, it would be nice to have Gordo right about now, looking at our lineup:

Without Kemba we really have to have the Jays delivering every night, and even then we need the supporting cast to show up. We no longer have the luxury of someone being injured or having an off day and still having 3 20+ ppg scorers to pick up the slack. That supporting cast looks really thin right now. But it's not to be, we have to lean more heavily on our rookies and sophomores, particularly Langford when he gets back, and Pritchard. And we need Teague to be more consistent, he's really the only guy in that second unit that can get a bucket on demand. They don't seem to be as high on Nesmith as we are, they're seeing something that suggests he needs more time before he's thrown into the thick of things.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2020, 09:35:12 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
its tough for a guy who was #1 on his team and an all-star to accept being 4th option on a team. Ray allen talked about how tough it was to go from being that player to basically the 3rd option on the celtics.

Gordon played his role well last year but its probably not what he envisioned when he signed here.

do I wish he wouldve signed for 20million to stay with the celtics and still be that solid 4th option? absolutely, but cant fault him for taking the ridiculous deal Michael Jordan offered at 30million and a shot at being a #1 or #2 option.

I do think Charlotte will regret the deal if they continue to lose.

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2020, 10:32:36 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
its tough for a guy who was #1 on his team and an all-star to accept being 4th option on a team. Ray allen talked about how tough it was to go from being that player to basically the 3rd option on the celtics.

Gordon played his role well last year but its probably not what he envisioned when he signed here.

do I wish he wouldve signed for 20million to stay with the celtics and still be that solid 4th option? absolutely, but cant fault him for taking the ridiculous deal Michael Jordan offered at 30million and a shot at being a #1 or #2 option.

Nobody planned to make him the 4th option. He got injured and needed another season to get back to his normal self.  He came back to a group than learn to play without him.

Did he expect the keys to handed over to him? That would have been disrespectful to the other players!

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2020, 10:45:04 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

He should have been traded the season he got injured. We could have made the finals of Danny had the guts to do it.
I guess it’s kinda similar with Kemba now being limited... it’s up to Danny to make the bold move or just be content with top 5 seed

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2020, 10:46:20 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Nobody planned to make him the 4th option. He got injured and needed another season to get back to his normal self.  He came back to a group than learn to play without him.

Did he expect the keys to handed over to him? That would have been disrespectful to the other players!

I don’t think he expected a handout.  He never complained or demanded a trade.  Things simply didn’t work out for him in Boston, and he played out his contract.

I wish things had gone differently.  There’s an alternate universe where we have a starting lineup of Kyrie / Brown / Hayward / Davis / Horford, and we’re celebrating a title right now.  But, between injuries, bad luck, and the salary structure, the best laid plans fell through.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2020, 11:22:12 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

He should have been traded the season he got injured. We could have made the finals of Danny had the guts to do it.
I guess it’s kinda similar with Kemba now being limited... it’s up to Danny to make the bold move or just be content with top 5 seed

What team was trading for him with a broken ankle in the first year of a max contract? What kind of realistic value do you think we could have gotten? This isn't 2k where we can just hand off our damaged players for shiny new ones whenever we feel like it. It also has to make sense for the other team too.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2020, 11:26:23 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
This is a bit of an aside, but I've never understood the criticism that Hayward is somehow redundant next to Brown and Tatum. Even if redundant just means "they have completely overlapping skills", it's simply not true. Hayward is a much better playmaker than either of our wings, so that's not true. Not only that, they play off each other really well.

Agree. I don’t get that line of thinking either. We’re better without Hayward? This is the stuff that gets me frustrated at Boston fans. I just don’t get it at all.

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2020, 11:44:19 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

What team was trading for him with a broken ankle in the first year of a max contract? What kind of realistic value do you think we could have gotten? This isn't 2k where we can just hand off our damaged players for shiny new ones whenever we feel like it. It also has to make sense for the other team too.
His value would have been minuscule. His contract would have been for matching salary purposes. I guess Paul was available last summer (I had proposed trading for him and receiving a pick) ... another one is Kawhi the year before. We could have thrown 3-4 first rounders and I bet Popovicj would have loved Hayward..

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2020, 11:54:57 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
This is a bit of an aside, but I've never understood the criticismhu that Hayward is somehow redundant next to Brown and Tatum. Even if redundant just means "they have completely overlapping skills", it's simply not true. Hayward is a much better playmaker than either of our wings, so that's not true. Not only that, they play off each other really well.

Agree. I don’t get that line of thinking either. We’re better without Hayward? This is the stuff that gets me frustrated at Boston fans. I just don’t get it at all.

Has nothing to do with how fans feel either way.  I wantd him to stay .  but obviously he was frustrated to some degree , not getting to play the bigger cheese role he envisioned with the development of Tatum and Brown. ....and since Danny had to PAY them first ...he probably thought Gordy would work a friendly deal  ...sooo..He could not collect the pay check he thought he was worth .   So....basically unless you wanted Brown / Smart gone ....Hayward wasn't  getting the minutes or money he wanted .  He saw this and left .   If he was a true blue Celtic.  hed worked some deal or asked for one .   So HE was frustrated and left .   He showed his colors like Al Horford .   Money money money

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2020, 09:09:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Hornets currently up 6 on the Nets. Hayward has 28/6/6 so far
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2020, 10:28:35 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Hayward looks like the player we were expecting when we signed years ago. [dang], this Hayward in playoffs and we make finals and maybe even win it.

He needed more touches and to be more of a focus it seems.