Author Topic: Courtney Lee.. expendable?  (Read 6560 times)

Courtney Lee.. expendable?
« on: November 02, 2012, 09:51:23 PM »

Offline u2larkin04

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
With Terry and Barbosa seeming as more like scorers rather than playmakers does Courtney Lee seem expendable once Avery Bradley comes back and takes over at the 2-guard spot? I feel like we could really use a good backup playmaker/defender point guard rather than the surplus of 2's we have.

Do you think Avery could fill that hole when he gets back or should the C's explore the market eventually for someone who's more capable of backing up Rondo?
DISCLAIMER: When I post on here, it's usually because I've been drinking. If you are an avid home brewer or fan of whiskey you'll understand. If you're not; SORRY!

GO CELTICS!

Re: Courtney Lee.. expendable?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 09:55:55 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
At this stage of their careers, Courtney Lee is the better offensive player than Avery Bradley. Bradley is likely the better defensive player but with a small sample size.

Keep in mind that one of the issues with Barbosa is that he is streaky and inconsistent according to some people, this is why he has always been a bench player despite his immense talent and athletic ability.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 10:00:40 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think it is too soon to know if Lee is going to help us in a major way or not.  I just hope that we have a good handle on his role by the time AB comes back. 

Tonight is a good example of a game where AB would have had a positive impact.  We weren't aggressive enough on D.  I think AB would have given us a spark tonight and that great def effort spreads to the other guys sometimes.  People see AB busting his butt 100% on every play on D and it make the rest of the guys work harder.

Lee is a good defender as well, but his D doesn't have the game impact that AB's does.

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 10:10:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
No.  He's our best guard out of the foursome of mediocrity. 

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 10:36:20 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I'm certain there are plenty of teams that would love to have our "mediocrity".

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 10:41:07 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Lee is a major asset....as a rookie he shut down Ray Allen in the playoffs....can guard both 2's and 3's

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 11:02:34 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
So is RR one of the mediocre 4?  haha I don't think so.

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 11:04:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Right now Lee is the LAST guard the C's can afford to lose.

It may take AB  1/2 season to return to his prior form.

Love Lees defense intensity and nice jumper.

The WHOLE team is gettting KILLED on pick  n roll and defense in the paint.

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 11:06:55 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
Well until we can consistently stop the pick and roll, we are going to get a big dose of it from everyone we play.  I guess that will give us a chance to get better at it...lol.

I hope wilcox can slowly ramp up his minutes.  He seemed to give us a spark on the D end at times.  He is athletic enough to at least get to where he is supposed to be with the d rotations.  I am not sure sully is quick enough yet to do that...

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 11:17:36 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Lee has played 2 games in a Celtics uniform and you're already suggesting he's expendable?  Nobody is more p---ed off than me at our performance tonight, but let's not overreact.

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 11:46:19 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
At this stage of their careers, Courtney Lee is the better offensive player than Avery Bradley. Bradley is likely the better defensive player but with a small sample size.

Keep in mind that one of the issues with Barbosa is that he is streaky and inconsistent according to some people, this is why he has always been a bench player despite his immense talent and athletic ability.

LIKELY the better defensive player?  That's like saying Rondo is likely a better playmaker than Jason Terry.  There is no comparison.

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 12:07:08 AM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
No need for overreaction on how horrible Lee has been playing. That's why the Celtics almost never play up to their potential during the regular season, the game is played much faster
When the game slows down, you'll see the Celtics thrive

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 12:14:24 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

LIKELY the better defensive player?  That's like saying Rondo is likely a better playmaker than Jason Terry.  There is no comparison.
I think Bradley and Lee are about even on the defensive end, but that's just me.

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 12:18:37 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I think Bradley and Lee are about even on the defensive end, but that's just me.

Bradley healthy brings another element Lee does not. Motor, athleticism, they looked like they outweighed any skill advantage Lee had defensively. The biggest worry is the small sample size.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 01:49:17 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Right now Lee is the LAST guard the C's can afford to lose.

It may take AB  1/2 season to return to his prior form.

Love Lees defense intensity and nice jumper.

The WHOLE team is gettting KILLED on pick  n roll and defense in the paint.

Yeah this. It seemed the bucks were wide open for a drive in the middle every single play.