Poll

Choose your starter

Theis
Thompson
They both start at the 4 and 5
Neither; we witness Timelord’s Ascension

Author Topic: Who starts: Theis or Thompson?  (Read 4956 times)

Re: Who starts: Theis or Thompson?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2020, 10:47:38 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Theis starts until Tristan proves he can start. I think that's what will happen.

Though Theis is recovering from surgery, so if he hasn't fully recovered Tristan will have an opportunity.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 12:17:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If healthy, it'll be Theis at first, then I bet Thompson wins out before the season is over.

Even so it'll mostly be a time share, I imagine.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2020, 12:41:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Both our offense and defense were elite with Theis last year.  I don’t think that Brad makes a change.
agreed. though thompson may start based on some matchups.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 04:38:07 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think Thompson is the starting center, when he is ready.  I think that is pretty easy.

To me the question is whether or not Theis can fit in as a second starting big (or core rotation big) and play alongside Thompson.  PF is probably a more natural position for him.  In 2018-19 Theis hit 39% of his 3s.  If he can do that, and adapt his offensive game around that, more perimeter, he might just find a nice role for himself.

Theis can let Thompson be the more "blue collar" guy, defend the bigger, stronger player, focus more on protecting the rim and rebounding, and Theis can adjust his game and try to be more like Kevin Love but for a lot less money (Love is career 37% on 3s, just takes way more).  If he can do that, it will help the team.

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2020, 05:50:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
who ever an't crippled

wriiten in the stars

its the age ....of the ...Time Lord

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2020, 06:21:53 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
I think Theis, because:
1 - He has already established strong chemistry with Smart / Brown / Kemba / Tatum
2 - I feel Theis' ability to make threes and free throws with some consistency makes him a better compliment for the starters
3 - I think Theis is a better overall defender and rim protector, which IMHO is what they need in the starting 5

However I do think Thompson would fit in there almost as well which is great, because it means we have a genuine starting calibre backup who can step seamlessly into that starting role if Theis is injured or unavailable for any reason, while still having a capable backup in Rob Williams.  For the first time in a while we are genuinely three deep at the center/PF (really these guy can all play both) spot.  Last time I can think of when I could say tha was back when we had Shaq, Perkins and Jermaine O'Neal in 2010/11.   

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2020, 06:26:19 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
I think Thompson is the starting center, when he is ready.  I think that is pretty easy.

To me the question is whether or not Theis can fit in as a second starting big (or core rotation big) and play alongside Thompson.  PF is probably a more natural position for him.  In 2018-19 Theis hit 39% of his 3s.  If he can do that, and adapt his offensive game around that, more perimeter, he might just find a nice role for himself.

Theis can let Thompson be the more "blue collar" guy, defend the bigger, stronger player, focus more on protecting the rim and rebounding, and Theis can adjust his game and try to be more like Kevin Love but for a lot less money (Love is career 37% on 3s, just takes way more).  If he can do that, it will help the team.

Pretty sure Tatum is going to be our starting PF - at least once Kemba returns.  I'm pretty confident that Kemba Smart, Tatum and Brown will be starting as long as they are capable of it.

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2020, 06:34:45 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
i believe CBS does not think in terms of traditional positions - pg, sg, sf, pf, and center. he tends to think in terms of ball handler, wing, and big. he prefers only one big on the floor at a time.

playing thompson and theis together hurts CBS space and pace game plan.

theis has very good advanced stats on offense and defense, and plays P&R on defense better than thompson.

i think matchups will often decide who starts.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2020, 06:35:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Theis is a better defender and a better finisher.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2020, 07:43:05 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
If i was a gambling man... I'd take the German since TT has a hamstring injury.  Wait The German is banged up too.   Time Lord!  LOL
Diggles

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2020, 07:49:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If i was a gambling man... I'd take the German since TT has a hamstring injury.  Wait The German is banged up too.   Time Lord!  LOL

Theis says he’s fully healed, without any restrictions.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2020, 10:20:31 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I think Thompson and Theis are fairly interchangeable. You can run the same actions with both players. They have slightly different strengths and weaknesses but can both play the same way. Thompson is stronger and better rebounder but not as good a shooter but they are pretty close t o each other in skill sets. I assume that was a major reason for the Celtics getting Thompson. You won’t have to change much when they sub out for one another.

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2020, 10:55:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The more you ponder on it... the guy that needs to start at center is Robert Williams if this team is going to get anywhere

But Robert Williams must raise his game/earn that spot

Robert Williams is an elite big in terms of raw athleticism/explosiveness/verticality.  And not a bonehead like Mcgee.   He just hasn't been able to put it together mainly due to injury badluck

Haven't heard nothing regarding his extension, and I feel like Danny/org is purposely dangling the carrot in front of him.  Which is the right move

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2020, 11:02:41 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

And returning from knee surgery. Like Walker, I think the C's should take it slow with Theis. Thompson should start.

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2020, 11:11:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

And returning from knee surgery. Like Walker, I think the C's should take it slow with Theis. Thompson should start.

And Thompson is a little sore right now due to pulling his hamstring from an offseason workout

This is looking like Boston Hospital squad