Author Topic: What about the idea of bringing Kemba Walker off the bench moving forward?  (Read 937 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Stem cell injection or surgery required,   I don't have a good feeling about Walker coming back and playing the way he did 2-3 years ago. 

I remember some of those games vs Celtics, Raptors etc.  Walker would take over and couldn't be stopped in the 4th.  Those were some ridiculous comebacks

Fast forward to last season it was the first time we heard of him starting to have knee problems.   The all star game (and new intense format)  made things worse.   Followed by a grueling playoffs where Walker was missing shots/inefficient and the team half the time looked better when he was resting on the bench. 

Even if Kemba returns as soon as the 1st week of January,  it's going to take a bit more time for him to get into game shape. Then deal with limitations/minute restriction.  ith the danger that he irritates his knee and has to miss games/injured list. 

I'm not exactly sure what happened with Dragic or why he was dropped to the bench.  But it has worked for the Heat.  Dragic provides steady points off the bench. 

Should the Celtics entertain this idea for Kemba?  Kemba even with a so so knee should be able to score against bench depth.   So for me, its either we play him at 65-70 percent moving forward.  Or try to ramp it up higher than 85 percent by starting him and play the injury list (or worse) game. 

Re: What about the idea of bringing Kemba Walker off the bench moving forward?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 11:55:17 AM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
I think our best hope for Kemba is to get him healthy, give him 10-20 games as a starter to showcase his talents, and then trade him to a team that desperately needs shooting.  Guys his age with his knees don't magically get better.  He doesn't fit the JT/JB timeline anyway.  It's time for a cold-hearted Ainge flip.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 12:07:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think our best hope for Kemba is to get him healthy, give him 10-20 games as a starter to showcase his talents, and then trade him to a team that desperately needs shooting.  Guys his age with his knees don't magically get better.  He doesn't fit the JT/JB timeline anyway.  It's time for a cold-hearted Ainge flip.

Cold or not, it is business. But the players in this league don't see it that way.  If the Celts did this to Walker without Walker being ok with it, I doubt the Celts will be able to attract big name FAs for a while or unless Ainge is no longer president/gm

Also I don't think you can "trick" teams into taking Walker without a condition. Meaning the Celts would also need to take baggage in return and also perhaps include assets/picks to close the deal. 

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 12:39:06 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
If he is ready to play, he will start I suspect.  I don't see any advantage to using his minutes, whatever they turn out to be, off the bench rather than with the starters.

Now if the best he can play is how he played in the playoffs, then he shouldn't play, off the bench or otherwise.  My assumption is that when he does play, he will play at or close to full strength.