Author Topic: Levert Out Indefinitely with Cancerous Kidney Mass  (Read 5600 times)

Re: Levert out indefinitely with kidney mass
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2021, 07:07:52 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
He should have no problem playing nba basketball.

If your remaining kidney is working well, you should have no problem running a marathon. A single kidney is perfectly capable of keeping your body at normal fluid levels and maintaining your electrolyte balance.Sep 18, 2015
www.runnersworld.com › health › i...

From Runners World.

Also, given his fortitude fight through injuries late in college and early in the pros, my money is on him.

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2021, 07:08:15 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
Did this trade save his life?

Quite possibly yes.

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2021, 08:20:26 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
One of the rare times having a medical issue during the season turns out to be a good thing. Speedy recovery, Caris!

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2021, 08:34:23 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
He should have no problem playing nba basketball.

If your remaining kidney is working well, you should have no problem running a marathon. A single kidney is perfectly capable of keeping your body at normal fluid levels and maintaining your electrolyte balance.Sep 18, 2015
www.runnersworld.com › health › i...

From Runners World.

Also, given his fortitude fight through injuries late in college and early in the pros, my money is on him.

When I was a kid I remember hearing contact sports are different - you could take a hit to your one good kidney and you’d have trouble. But then, it’s not like we hear about ppl having kidney injuries in basketball so I’m not sure it’s something he would have to worry about.

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2021, 09:47:38 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I had Kidney cancer so I have some personal insight to share:
1. He (and I) was lucky they found it.  Kidney cancer is typically only found in older patients. The median age of patients is in the 60-70s. 
2. The 5 and 10 year survival numbers look ugly because those numbers are for any cause of death and most patients have other underlying health issues that skew the survival rates.
3. If he is having a partial nephrectomy (like me) he will be fine to play BB with out issue. 

If if whole kidney has to be removed I am not certain of the impact on his career.  I had a friend that donated his kidney to a family member and they told him no contact or extreme sports. My friend did Brazilian JJ and he had to stop and he couldn't mountain bike with me.