Author Topic: 49ers suspend analyst. Political correctness run amok?  (Read 11686 times)

49ers suspend analyst. Political correctness run amok?
« on: December 04, 2019, 11:52:53 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
49ers suspended a radio analyst apparently for just saying the following:

"He's really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin color with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing," Ryan said on air. "I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point."

I'm finding it hard to see how that statement is offensive let alone deserving of a suspension.  It is just basic physiology that its hard for human eyes to distinguish dark objects on dark backgrounds.   

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28227397/49ers-suspend-radio-analyst-tim-ryan-lamar-jackson-comments

Re: 49ers suspend analyst. Political correctness run amok?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 12:04:37 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Feels like a Key and Peele skit that didn't make it.

Agreed, super stupid. Same amount as stupid for ESPN firing that Hill woman.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 12:29:41 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Absolutely zero need to bring up skin color. None whatsoever. And in doing so, the analyst really messed up. The comment stinks of that old racial trope that it's hard to see black people in the dark. He messed up and he should consider himself lucky if he gets to keep his job.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 01:45:11 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Absolutely zero need to bring up skin color. None whatsoever. And in doing so, the analyst really messed up. The comment stinks of that old racial trope that it's hard to see black people in the dark. He messed up and he should consider himself lucky if he gets to keep his job.
He didn't just bring up skin color.  He also brought up the dark uniform.  It is harder to see darker skinned people in the dark.  It is harder to see people dressed in dark clothing in the dark.  It is also harder to see light on light.   Contrasting colors standout.  Similar coloring blends in.  But feel free to change your computer settings to dark grey text on a black background.

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 02:08:51 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Yeah, now that I think about it a bit more, that old racist trope is pretty awful. He copped a suspension for a little sit down to understand a little history. Probably fair in the situation.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 03:06:44 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
He didn't just bring up skin color.  He also brought up the dark uniform.  It is harder to see darker skinned people in the dark.  It is harder to see people dressed in dark clothing in the dark.  It is also harder to see light on light.   Contrasting colors standout.  Similar coloring blends in.  But feel free to change your computer settings to dark grey text on a black background.
TP.

I am all in for inclusiveness, always have been, but oversensitivity in terms of everyday political correctness has gone to the point where it divides people. And that is the exact opposite of the inclusion we are trying to achieve.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 03:27:43 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sure, I will change those computer settings, as soon as you take your head out of the sand, learn a bit about and see the comment for how bad it is. Tim Ryan, the analyst has even apologized for the poor use of his words.

Don't get me wrong, I know the guy isn't a racist, but the statement can be interpreted as a racist dog whistle. And it does harken back to the racial trope I brought up earlier. He chose a very bad way to describe the situation. The choice of those words could reflect poorly on his employer so they suspended him. As I said earlier, he is lucky to have a job. Just a stupid choice of words.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 07:10:42 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The observation makes sense and seemingly was said without prejudice but no, you can’t say it these days.  Just don’t bring up skin color if you want to keep your job.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 07:28:51 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
The observation makes sense and seemingly was said without prejudice but no, you can’t say it these days.  Just don’t bring up skin color if you want to keep your job.
It is pretty apparent and globally accepted that people have different skin pigments, but once you say it...watch out.
That is really lame when you think of it.

What will be next, folks won't be able to say that someone 5 feet tall is short, that toothless folks have an unappealing smile and that 400 lbs folks are obese?

Oversensitivity is not sensitivity.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 09:42:20 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Sure, I will change those computer settings, as soon as you take your head out of the sand, learn a bit about and see the comment for how bad it is. Tim Ryan, the analyst has even apologized for the poor use of his words.

Don't get me wrong, I know the guy isn't a racist, but the statement can be interpreted as a racist dog whistle. And it does harken back to the racial trope I brought up earlier. He chose a very bad way to describe the situation. The choice of those words could reflect poorly on his employer so they suspended him. As I said earlier, he is lucky to have a job. Just a stupid choice of words.

I agree with you 100% that it can be interpreted as a racist dog whistle. The only thing is, the people that whistle is calling are not racists, but rather people who clamor to declare "you can't say that" and subsequently others to question that determination.

Where are all the racists who are rallying around this statement and doing harm? They seem to only exist in the hypothetical arguments against the statement.

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 09:55:15 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i agree. and keep in mind that statements such as this need historical context. were there to be no history of hundreds of years of discrimination, slavery, lynchings, and more (and racism still does exist) then yes perhaps such a statement might not be so egregious.

but that point is that such a history does exist and such statements are to be viewed within such a context.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 10:04:19 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
i agree. and keep in mind that statements such as this need historical context. were there to be no history of hundreds of years of discrimination, slavery, lynchings, and more (and racism still does exist) then yes perhaps such a statement might not be so egregious.

but that point is that such a history does exist and such statements are to be viewed within such a context.

So it doesn't matter how I say something and what I actually mean but how anyone else understands it?

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 10:19:08 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

So it doesn't matter how I say something and what I actually mean but how anyone else understands it?

Not necessarily but, in today's society, people out there are going to take what you say and develop their own context around those words whether you like it or not.  Cancel culture in a nutshell.

Its certainly not fair but the reality is that you really need to think before you speak due to the possible ramifications.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 10:24:12 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
Ya I'm as big a liberal, snowflake whatever you wnat to call it as anyone but even I think this is a little ridiculous. I mean its kind of a weird thing to point out and sure theres some historical sensitivity there but clearly it wasn't meant as an attack on his race. 

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 10:29:54 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Not necessarily but, in today's society, people out there are going to take what you say and develop their own context around those words whether you like it or not.  Cancel culture in a nutshell.

Its certainly not fair but the reality is that you really need to think before you speak due to the possible ramifications.

I get what you mean and I feel the same way to be honest often i don't say something because of that

But this too cannot be acceptable. In a way is censorship. As long as I don't insult anyone I should be able to speak my mind.