Author Topic: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread  (Read 232742 times)

Re: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #660 on: April 22, 2019, 12:05:04 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Wow, Portland stole one in OKC.

I thought there would be a lot of upsets in Round 1, but looks like the top 4 seeds of each conference will advance. The Nuggets have figured out the Spurs.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #661 on: April 22, 2019, 01:28:17 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

I thought there would be a lot of upsets in Round 1, but looks like the top 4 seeds of each conference will advance. The Nuggets have figured out the Spurs.

Still think the SpursNuggets series are up for grabs..

« Reply #662 on: April 22, 2019, 03:14:28 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

Well that should (temporarily) shut up Westbrook and Schroder from their trash talking  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #663 on: April 22, 2019, 04:30:18 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Westbrook is such a frustrating player....
Before i thought that you cannot win with him being your best player, now i think you cannot win with hin being your 2nd beat player. He is justa a savage, plays pick up style of basketball.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #664 on: April 22, 2019, 08:31:32 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
this weekend..road teams was 8 and 0..so home court doesnt mean anything as we already know
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #665 on: April 22, 2019, 08:50:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
this weekend..road teams was 8 and 0..so home court doesnt mean anything as we already know
Well all of those road teams were the higher seeds (and thus presumably the better teams), so I'm not sure I'd read too much into it. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #666 on: April 22, 2019, 08:55:14 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Before i thought that you cannot win with him being your best player, now i think you cannot win with hin being your 2nd beat player. He is justa a savage, plays pick up style of basketball.

As I mentioned in another thread, postseason basketball is like groundhog day for Westbrook.  Lots of terrible shots and turnovers with an occasional breakout game.  It's like he's trying to put the ball in the hoop with sheer willpower.  This used to be fun to watch when he was younger, more athletic, and had Durant as a teammate.  Unfortunately, the act gets old after a while.   

This current series against Portland reinforces everything that has been wrong with his mentality for the past 6+ years.  A comeback down 3-1 would be the worst thing to happen for the OKC Thunder.  Westbrook might not ever change, but maybe there's a chance if OKC gets absolutely embarrassed for the 2nd straight season.

« Reply #667 on: April 22, 2019, 01:41:59 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

As I mentioned in another thread, postseason basketball is like groundhog day for Westbrook.  Lots of terrible shots and turnovers with an occasional breakout game.  It's like he's trying to put the ball in the hoop with sheer willpower.  This used to be fun to watch when he was younger, more athletic, and had Durant as a teammate.  Unfortunately, the act gets old after a while.   

This current series against Portland reinforces everything that has been wrong with his mentality for the past 6+ years.  A comeback down 3-1 would be the worst thing to happen for the OKC Thunder.  Westbrook might not ever change, but maybe there's a chance if OKC gets absolutely embarrassed for the 2nd straight season.

He's like the anti-Bill Russell, just chasing down stats and not caring about what it takes to win games. Durant was lucky to get away from him.

« Reply #668 on: April 22, 2019, 03:52:44 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Can someone please explain to me this fascination with Victor Oladipo? This is the same guy that was traded twice before entering his fifth season. Is he really a playoff altering type of player? Indiana gave max effort on virtually every possession, and it can be difficult to sweep those types of teams. I don’t care if Indiana had a healthy Oladipo, as I would have expected the Celtics to still have won the series in probably 5 games.

The Clippers are another max effort type of team with no star player, yet still managed to win one game against the two time defending champs. I think the Celtics should be given credit for taking care of business and not taking Indiana lightly, as it would have been very easy to do so.

« Reply #669 on: April 22, 2019, 04:04:32 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Can someone please explain to me this fascination with Victor Oladipo? This is the same guy that was traded twice before entering his fifth season. Is he really a playoff altering type of player? Indiana gave max effort on virtually every possession, and it can be difficult to sweep those types of teams. I don’t care if Indiana had a healthy Oladipo, as I would have expected the Celtics to still have won the series in probably 5 games.

The Clippers are another max effort type of team with no star player, yet still managed to win one game against the two time defending champs. I think the Celtics should be given credit for taking care of business and not taking Indiana lightly, as it would have been very easy to do so.
the general thought would be that he'd be able to break those Indy scoring droughts that helped us win those games --> much like Kyrie can break our scoring droughts on most nights.

I'd still expect us to win the series but a sweep would have been highly unlikely

« Reply #670 on: April 22, 2019, 04:17:37 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

Without Smart Oladipo would have been a big problem. Regardless Indiana would have most likely been the 3 seed so it wouldn’t have mattered.

« Reply #671 on: April 22, 2019, 04:18:41 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

He made the all star team this season and last. He made an All Defense first team and All NBA 3rd team last season. He was also the Pacers' leading scorer both seasons.

So I would say, yes.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #672 on: April 22, 2019, 04:42:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Well all of those road teams were the higher seeds (and thus presumably the better teams), so I'm not sure I'd read too much into it.

Plus all of the weekend games were Game 4 of the series. Usually if a lower seed is able to play their best game and steal a win in a series, it's Game 3 (first home game for them). By Game 4 typically the higher seed bounces back and steals a win on the road themselves.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #673 on: April 22, 2019, 05:23:18 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

He made the all star team this season and last. He made an All Defense first team and All NBA 3rd team last season. He was also the Pacers' leading scorer both seasons.

So I would say, yes.

The All Defensive team is basically a popularity award. The fact that Marcus Smart has not made one of those teams is all you need to know about the legitimacy of it.

Do you honestly think the series would have been a toss up if Oladipo was healthy, because I don't.

« Reply #674 on: April 22, 2019, 05:25:07 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
Yes with Oladipo the series would be a toss up the Celtics game plan against the Pacers is 1000 times easier without Oladipo playing.