Author Topic: Greek Freak thinks cupping therapy is real, scientifically proven to be harmful  (Read 9855 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Found this picture

"There is no good evidence it has any benefit on health and there are some concerns it may be harmful"

Practicing surgeon David Gorski claims, "it’s all risk for no benefit. It has no place in modern medicine"

Critics of alternative medicine such as Harriet Hall, Mark Crislip, Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst have characterized cupping as "pseudoscience nonsense", "a celebrity fad", and "gibberish". They've stated that there is no evidence that cupping works any better than a placebo. Pharmacologist David Colquhoun writes that cupping is "laughable... and utterly implausible"

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
You really care about his health. I respect that.
greece666, Ederson, other Greek, and members worldwide? Whats your take on this "Illness-Wellness Continuum"?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 03:10:46 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
And...we have a reliable cure for cancer since the ancient times while you guys are still finding out ways to combat it. Western medicine is really amazing people!  ::) don't mean to insult Western medicine but I really don't buy you guys saying there's no benefit in doing XXX when you guys are still finding out new things so often, not to say Chinese medicine isn't the same but please don't talk smack about the other.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
A ton of Olympic swimmers got some perceived advantage out of it. Even if it's a placebo, he can make those choices. Players do lots of things that are "scientifically proven" to harm them. I doubt this is at the top of the list.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
"There is no good evidence it has any benefit on health and there are some concerns it may be harmful"

Practicing surgeon David Gorski claims, "it’s all risk for no benefit. It has no place in modern medicine"

Critics of alternative medicine such as Harriet Hall, Mark Crislip, Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst have characterized cupping as "pseudoscience nonsense", "a celebrity fad", and "gibberish". They've stated that there is no evidence that cupping works any better than a placebo. Pharmacologist David Colquhoun writes that cupping is "laughable... and utterly implausible"

Where is the part that states "scientifically proven to be harmful" because all I read was ineffective, not harmful.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 07:13:22 AM by Eddie20 »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I highly doubt that it's harmful but maybe he thinks it will make him more like a leopard.

If you've ever had an injury or soreness that you ended up in physical therapy for, they try a million things and it's almost impossible to tell if anything actually works.  Massage, hot and cold, ultrasound, kinetic tape, dry needling, shock wave therapy... just add cupping therapy to the list. 

Same with most supplements and superfoods.  I have a green poop tasting smoothie with 10-15 superfoods and supplements every morning.  Do I see an actual difference in my triathlon training?  No, but I drink the crap anyway.  Let Giannis think that cupping is helping him.  It shows that he probably cares more than some players who wouldn't be bothered with it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:18:28 AM by moiso »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I highly doubt that it's harmful but maybe he thinks it will make him more like a leopard.

If you've ever had an injury or soreness that you ended up in physical therapy for, they try a million things and it's almost impossible to tell if anything actually works.  Massage, hot and cold, ultrasound, kinetic tape, shock wave therapy... just add cupping therapy to the list. 

Same with most supplements and superfoods.  I have a green poop tasting smoothie with 10-15 superfoods every morning.  Do I see an actual difference in my triathlon training?  No, but I drink the crap anyway.  Let Giannis think that cupping is helping him.  It shows that he probably cares more than some players who wouldn't be bothered with it.

I agree.  I've tried all those things including cupping for my left side shoulder/neck/back area and although it's improved a ton I still have clicking going on.  I think the cupping helped to a degree.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
MMA fighters use it a lot and claim it really does help with minor injuries and tightness.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
You really care about his health. I respect that.
greece666, Ederson, other Greek, and members worldwide? Whats your take on this "Illness-Wellness Continuum"?

thanks for the mention androslav

i ve read enough feyerabend to have an opinion on the matter but i doubt this is the right place.

what i can say about giannis is that i wonder if this is linked to the story with his knee in the summer and his departure from the Gr NT. there was no diagnosis then other than "giannis has something but it's complicated".

i ll take a look on greek sites to see if they have come back to this story.

other than that i should revamp the Euroleauge thread, I missed the half of the first round smh...

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
A lot of doctors aren't into alternative medicine because they are too scientific and can't wrap their heads around it. They also see it as a threat on top of it, so blast it when ever they get a chance. There has been whispers of not icing pitchers arms after games unless there is some swelling and only for the fist 20 min, but instead heat it. Blood heals wounds, heat increases blood flow to the area, where ice keeps it away, but everyone is to scared to implement it.

My wife who's a PT uses both modern and alternative med when she works. She does this thing called Cranial Sacral. It's a method of moving energy in the body to heal it's self. She's had a kid come in one time, who's head was missformed from child birth. He was one years old. She followed him around for 45 min with just toughing his head with light pressure. With around ten minutes to go the major indent popped back into form. She said it wasn't all the way fixed, but it was a huge improvement. When the parts saw it happen they both started to ball. Surgery was the only option they were given at that point, and he was actually in for something else when my wife said let try to fix this fist, and see if the other thing works out.

It's weird stuff, but I think we've only tapped into what the human body can actually do. 

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I've done cupping a couple of times when I had really bad back problems in college, and I can say it has helped me more than it has harmed me. Idk where this research is coming from and i definitely don't think it's a placebo effect.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
The internet is a strange fun place and sometimes you find things randomly. Cupping is one of those things I found a few years ago on Youtube. I was obsessed with watching people put these things all over their bodies.

What I've learned by watching 1000 of cupping videos.

• Most everyone doing it has the same medical degree as me and you.
  • You can make circle bruises on parts of your body I was unaware a cup would stick to.
  • Some real nasty looking stuff comes out of people sometimes.
  • Most people doing it believes it helps them
ok fine

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Where is the part that states "scientifically proven to be harmful" because all I read was ineffective, not harmful.

It’s also not scientifically proven to be innefective either. As most doctors and scientists know, a handful of mediocre studies does not equal scientific proof in either direction. The western medical industry is also quick to denounce treatments that they cannot massively profit from, so basically anything that is not surgery or manufactured drugs

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

It’s also not scientifically proven to be innefective either. As most doctors and scientists know, a handful of mediocre studies does not equal scientific proof in either direction. The western medical industry is also quick to denounce treatments that they cannot massively profit from, so basically anything that is not surgery or manufactured drugs
it has been proven to be ineffective. See original post citing many different sources

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
hzanpato makes good points, and they are valid.

i have gone through cupping, acupuncture, and much more for many years. each works for different problems and are effective. acupuncture, in particular, has helped me tremendously. it cured me in ways western medicine cannot do, nor explain.

however, not long ago, western medical science laughed at acupuncture and called it another form of voodoo. even today, many western doctors do not accept it.

but it works. the pre-exisitng prejudice and ignorance of western doctors shapes the types of studies they do. and this leads to misunderstandings and in appropriate forms of testing.

also relevant is that the underlying narrative on the body is different. in east asia, docs see the body through balances and flows of energy. all of the body is linked to other parts in a complex set of relationships, so to treat one, you must consider others.

in the west, it is more common to view the body it as a machine, they mend/replace broken parts. the interrelationship is not as important.

since the underlying understandings differ, naturally the cures differ as well.

in east asia, treatment that focuses only one a single issue (i.e. heart) is seen as short sighted. you have solved one immediate problem, but the larger problem stems from imbalances, have you fixed that? if not, expect a recurrence or another problem.

another example of how the two schools of thought differ is on medicine. here, we see medicine and food as two different things. in most of east asia (and many other places) they see food and medicine as fundamentally the same. you are what you eat and eating is part of curing someone of something.

so when my korean doctor examined me, he always talked about food, types, temperature ingredients, how the foods complement one another, etc. among other things.

by the way, they also take pulses differently and western doctors should learn how to do that. my korean doctor would ALWAYS tell me thing about blood pressure, cholesteral, heart, liver, and more based strictly on the pulses. (yes, plural.) and when i double checked with blood tests etc. back in the US, each diagnosis confirmed the other.

it is cool stuff.

today in many places in east asia, BOTH approaches are taught. this allows doctors to approach curing in a much broader way.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:55:34 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva