Author Topic: Sam Smith: Taj Gibson for Rudy Fernandez offered (It's in Portland's hands)  (Read 24223 times)

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Assuming a favorable Fernandez deal doesn't happen, I'd like to see the Cs sign Kyle Weaver. Capable defender, can shoot a little, excellent energy etc.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Overall, though, the comparison is valid, as BBD is nothing more than a role player in any system, and at $3 million, he's not much of a bargain value, either.  

Averaging over 15 points and 5 rebounds for the 2009 playoffs marks Davis as more than just another role player in any system.

Mike

Hi, Mike.

IMO, 5 rebounds for a big guy is pretty average and should be expected for a big guy getting the minutes he did.  And if I got the looks he got (wide, wide open), I'd score 15 on 18 foot jumpers, too.  Those numbers don't really suggest he's more than a role player, but that his teammates worked the ball to the 4th option really well. 

BBD, like Waltah, just doesn't have the skills to be more than a role player at this time (and I think what we see now is what we get). 

Just like looking at stats on a curve for players playing next to Nash or whomever, role players on a team like the C's are bound to look better than they really are.  Ask the Hornets if Posey was worth it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 03:02:09 PM by More Banners »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Nothing wrong with being a successful role player.  Every team needs them, and that's what I think Baby is.  If I were to rate role players on a scale of 1 to 10, guys who were getting regular rotation minutes, I'd rate Baby about a 5; he occasionally does better than that, and sometimes worse.  The next thing he needs to do is become more consistent.  If I were to rate Walter as a role player in his hay day, I'd rate him about a 3.  He had a particular niche in a gimmicky Pitino/Obie system.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hey, be nice.  

Next, I have to agree that Waltah's length advantage over BBD would make him a stronger help defender, and with his vastly superior spot-up 3pt shooting range, floor spacing would be better offensively.  Rebounding advantage to BBD, though I think Waltah in his prime was more fundamentally sound (boxing out, etc.), so that perhaps is arguable.  

Overall, though, the comparison is valid, as BBD is nothing more than a role player in any system, and at $3 million, he's not much of a bargain value, either.  

Be nice?  The guy called people who could see value in Baby's contributions homers.  The clear implication was that our views were stupid because our judgement was influenced by our green glasses.  No.  Tit for tat.

If the comparison is valid, was Walter ever anything more than a role player?  Baby stepped in in KGs absence and did a very nice job, taking on some difficult matchups, from guarding Howard to Lewis, and averaged 15 and 5 while doing so.  There's no chance Walter could have produced like that.  I'm not trying to say that Baby is an all star.  He's just not remotely the bum that LarBrd is portraying him as.

Mencius... I should clarify.  It's not that I'm trying to portray Glen Davis as a bum.  You misunderstand me.  What I'm trying to say is... like Walter McCarty, Glen Davis is a bum.  The fans love them both.  They both had big insignificant stretches... (I think Walter pulled out a 6 game stretch in the 03 playoffs that rivaled the best of Glen's career... he was putting up like 15 points per game... he was a maestro out there)... but ultimately they are just random bench role players who are expendable and can be replaced.  Glen's 15 and 5 didn't impress me.  Rondo was averaging a triple double, Ray was destroying the Bulls and Pierce was Pierce.   Nobody expected Davis to hit a bunch of wide open jumpers.  He definitely made the most of his limited game.  Hit some wide open jumpers and managed to squeek a few wide open layups in without getting blocked... played some crappy defense, pulled down some limited rebounds... Big deal.  I said it at the time... the difference between KG being in there and Glen being in there was that Glen succeeded because of his teammates... while KG's teammates succeeded because of KG.  I don't hate the guy... I'm just callin a bum a bum. 

Von Wafer is a bum too.

I'd love to have Rudy, though.  That guy has some skill.  He played like a bum last year, though. 

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
It's true that Ray went nuts against Chicago. PP was okay.  Rondo was phenomenal.  As I recall it, the bigs we had were Perk, Baby, and Mikey Moore by the time we got to Orlando.  Leon was injured by then and KG was out.  In the Orlando series, Ray was mediocre; in fact Redick pretty much played him even.  PP was flat out done by the Orlando series.  Rondo came down to earth too.  Baby had his best series against Orlando without his mates playing particularly well, and did so while guarding Howard and Lewis.  Pretty impressive stuff for a role player.  Against the Lakers, he was the only guy that seemed like he could grab a rebound against them in some of those games.  Bringing the McCarty comparison into play is just a red herring.  If Walter in his prime were on last years team (or even more so, the year before's), there's no way in hell he could have come close to matching Baby's production, so  linking the two of them is lame.

"the difference between KG being in there and Glen being in there was that Glen succeeded because of his teammates... while KG's teammates succeeded because of KG.  I don't hate the guy... I'm just callin a bum a bum.

That's pretty much a straw man you're successfully flogging there.  Nobody is saying Baby's a first ballot hall of famer, and to be clear, what did KG ever win without Ray and Pierce?

Baby's no all star and he's no bum.  He's a decent role player.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
So, is this just another Sam Smith creation?

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2740
still no update about Rudy. Something tells me the reports that the bulls offered Taj Gibson were garbage, because the blazers would have accepted that offer by now if it where true.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
still no update about Rudy. Something tells me the reports that the bulls offered Taj Gibson were garbage, because the blazers would have accepted that offer by now if it where true.
They Bulls might have been asking for a pick back, or another player.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 399
a lot of BBD talk here. i think BBD is a serviceable role player and he is definitely replaceable. however, you can't deny that there are a lot of homers here too that overvalue him. I read on another thread that a poster wouldn't trade BBD for Oden or something like that.

- LilRip
- LilRip

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Taj Gibson is very promising.  I like Rudy a lot but they just signed a number of wings in Chicago.  I'd hold onto Gibson as my backup big.  They have good talent up front but are not deep off the bench.  He's valuable to that team and seems like he'll be a great rebounder, good defender, and good finisher going forward.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2740
I'm starting to wonder if the balzers might actually keep Rudy. Maybe the GM had a talk with the coach and promised Rudy more playing time and more ball handling. Why else would there be a delay in trading him? They have no leverage otherwise, Rudy can just bolt to europe and they will get nothing.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
I'm starting to wonder if the balzers might actually keep Rudy. Maybe the GM had a talk with the coach and promised Rudy more playing time and more ball handling. Why else would there be a delay in trading him? They have no leverage otherwise, Rudy can just bolt to europe and they will get nothing.

Because the Blazers are trying to get more for him.  I think that we have the best offer but they are probably trying to get more from us.  They think we will panic and offer more, but Danny is too patient.

Rudy won't stay on that team, that's for sure.  They aren't changing styles under McMillan.

Things are shaping up nicely.

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
a lot of BBD talk here. i think BBD is a serviceable role player and he is definitely replaceable. however, you can't deny that there are a lot of homers here too that overvalue him. I read on another thread that a poster wouldn't trade BBD for Oden or something like that.

- LilRip

The same Oden that's been broken down since he came into league?  hmm yeah I can see your point.  It's defintely not a slam dunk.  It's strange how underrated BBD is by Boston fans.  Not strange for Boston fans but, strange for most fans that is.  When I talk to other fans around the league they think he's if not our best front court player, maybe our 2nd best behind KGs Defense on the team.

I suspect you would probably get a lot of votes for a guy like Brewer from Minny being a better NBA player than BBD.. bizarre but, not strange per se' for Boston fans that is.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397

- LilRip

The same Oden that's been broken down since he came into league?  hmm yeah I can see your point.  It's defintely not a slam dunk.  It's strange how underrated BBD is by Boston fans.  Not strange for Boston fans but, strange for most fans that is.  When I talk to other fans around the league they think he's if not our best front court player, maybe our 2nd best behind KGs Defense on the team.

I suspect you would probably get a lot of votes for a guy like Brewer from Minny being a better NBA player than BBD.. bizarre but, not strange per se' for Boston fans that is.

This is not that surprising. The casual fan that just watches the playoffs and/or is a not celtics fan is probably going to have his best moments stand out in their head. The espn replays of him hitting a game winner again orlando the playoffs before last, or this past playoffs with little nate jumping on his back. With his somewhat comical appearance, and the even more comical shrek and donkey bit, those moments get overplayed. People that don't watch the games in and out probably would be inclined to overrate him because of that. Now with all that said, perhaps he is underrated in boston a little bit.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

- LilRip

The same Oden that's been broken down since he came into league?  hmm yeah I can see your point.  It's defintely not a slam dunk.  It's strange how underrated BBD is by Boston fans.  Not strange for Boston fans but, strange for most fans that is.  When I talk to other fans around the league they think he's if not our best front court player, maybe our 2nd best behind KGs Defense on the team.

This is not that surprising. The casual fan that just watches the playoffs and/or is a not celtics fan is probably going to have his best moments stand out in their head. The espn replays of him hitting a game winner again orlando the playoffs before last, or this past playoffs with little nate jumping on his back. With his somewhat comical appearance, and the even more comical shrek and donkey bit, those moments get overplayed. People that don't watch the games in and out probably would be inclined to overrate him because of that. Now with all that said, perhaps he is underrated in boston a little bit.

You're right.  I think he's appreciated fine (things tend to skew more negative on these boards).  He had a big game against the Lakers but for that one I can remember plenty of times where he took the ball to the hole and got stuffed by long and athletic teams like LA.  Dude gets stuffed A LOT.

He's a solid player but he certainly has his faults.  And every once in a while he comes up huge, which is certainly worth something and makes people forget when you get swatted fairly regularly.

That's the price you pay for these second round undersized bigs Danny has specialized in.  They aren't always so consistent but can really play big.  Powe was this way too and I would not be surprised if 'Gody turns out the same way, though his ability to step away from the basket and possibly play the 3 at some point may make him more reliable.