Author Topic: ***Official Olympic Basketball Thread***  (Read 35626 times)

Re: ***Official Olympic Basketball Thread***
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2016, 08:01:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Knockout round seedings so far...

- The seedings (so far are below)

- In Group B Lithuania and Argentina have clinched

- Brazil, Spain, and Croatia are battling for the last two spots

- Australia is in the other bracket, so they won't play USA until the Gold medal game (assuming both advance)

Wednesday, August 17

Quarterfinals

USA vs. B4, 915 PM

Spain vs. France 545 PM

Australia vs. B3, 10 AM

B1 vs. Serbia 130 PM

Updated above-

* Brazil eliminated

* If Lithuania wins vs Croatia tonight they are the # 1 seed. If they lose they are the # 3 seed

* It looks as though USA will be playing either Argentina or Croatia in the knockout round

« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2016, 11:14:28 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
All Set!

Wednesday, August 17

- Quarterfinals -

USA vs. Argentina 915 PM

Spain vs. France 545 PM

Australia vs. Lithuania 10 AM

Croatia vs. Serbia 130 PM

« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2016, 03:11:44 AM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 21
Serbia-Croatia! Greatest rivalry in European basketball! 3:15 am (European time). Nobody will sleep in Serbia and Croatia.

« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2016, 07:35:40 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
The US basketball team is the only team from the US that I root against during the Olympics. This year is reminding me why.

Gah. Gotta root for your own country. ( it's just sports I'm not 100 percent serious. Doesn't mean squat in real world) . Also, I barely watch because when I see Durant smiling and laughing I think he's gross and  I get embarassed for the nba I defend against haters so much.

« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2016, 08:43:03 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Serbia-Croatia! Greatest rivalry in European basketball! 3:15 am (European time). Nobody will sleep in Serbia and Croatia.

the greatest rivalry ??? In euro basketball ? i think not....

In water polo definately yes .... both are contenders in every major tournament and usually play against each other in the final. But basketball ??? i can`t even remember an important (for sports reasons) game between them in the last 15 years

« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2016, 09:42:17 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
All I can say for the Serbia-Croatia rivalry is the only time in my life I've seen riots at a tennis match was between these 2 nations at the Australian Open some years back. Can't speak for whatever rivalry they might have in basketball but there is obviously a lot of animosity between the 2 countries. Should make for a very interesting game.

Glad we didn't get Spain but Lithuania are always tough to beat. I'd love to know how they manage to be an international powerhouse in basketball year after year despite never having more than 1 or 2 players in the NBA.

They beat us to the Bronze medal in 1996 and 2000. The AUS team in 2000 wasn't really worthy and never expected to win that game after Lithuania had just lost to the USA by 2 points and we were blown out by France. 1996 was a bitter pill to swallow after they just held us at arms' length to win by 6 points. I can still see Arvydas Sabonis with the ball stuffed up his jersey after the game.  :(

We beat them at the FIBA World Cup in 2014 so I hope that mental barrier is gone now. Still be an extremely hard game to win.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2016, 10:30:48 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

In water polo definately yes .... both are contenders in every major tournament and usually play against each other in the final. But basketball ??? i can`t even remember an important (for sports reasons) game between them in the last 15 years

You bet we aren't going to sleep.
It is always more than a game in any sport against Serbia. We have their number in football (most prestigious sport here) and handball, they have ours in basketball and tennis.
This time I think we, Croatia, have a better chance of winning a game.
We are stronger mentaly and have better leadership than before.
This group of guys has been together for month and a half now, in full training and competitive regiment.
They won the tournament in Italy to qualify, also there are no injuries, so they are ready.
Serbia is still a favorite, but this time it is a 60%-40% chance, not 85%-15% like it was in the last 10-15 years.
The most interesting Croatian lineup is Babić, Hezonja, Bogdanović, Šarić and Planinić.
It is long, strong and fast. all players with 6'8-6'11, switch happy with enough shooting in BB and Hezonja. So watch out for that one if you are watching the game.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2016, 10:38:05 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

You bet we aren't going to sleep.
It is always more than a game in any sport against Serbia. We have their number in football (most prestigious sport here) and handball, they have ours in basketball and tennis.
This time I think we, Croatia, have a better chance of winning a game.
We are stronger mentaly and have better leadership than before.
This group of guys has been together for month and a half now, in full training and competitive regiment.
They won the tournament in Italy to qualify, also there are no injuries, so they are ready.
Serbia is still a favorite, but this time it is a 60%-40% chance, not 85%-15% like it was in the last 10-15 years.
The most interesting Croatian lineup is Babić, Hezonja, Bogdanović, Šarić and Planinić.
It is long, strong and fast. all players with 6'8-6'11, switch happy with enough shooting in BB and Hezonja. So watch out for that one if you are watching the game.

Croatia has had issues defending bigs, so I expect Raduljica and Jokic to hurt them a lot. Plus, Teodosic, at least offensively, could be the best player on the floor. So I think Serbia wins.

« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2016, 10:44:27 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Predictions-

USA over Argentina...Argentina, more than I can ever recall, seems to play a lot of iso ball. This will work into the hands of the Americans. Campazzo, who might be best player on Argentina, is very explosive and could keep them in it somewhat.

Spain over France...Spain is really starting to click at the right time.

Australia over Lithuania...Similar style teams. Very close, rugged game. I give the slight edge to Australia as I think Delly's D can make it tough on Kalnietis.

Sebia over Croatia...Serbia's bigs will feast inside and Croatia has had trouble defending opposing centers all tournament.

« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2016, 11:44:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
All Set!

Wednesday, August 17

- Quarterfinals -

USA vs. Argentina 915 PM

Spain vs. France 545 PM

Australia vs. Lithuania 10 AM

Croatia vs. Serbia 130 PM
Semi Prediction - US v. Spain & Lithuania v. Serbia

US - Gold
Lithuania - Silver
Spain - Bronze

Though I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I got all of the quarterfinal games outside of the US wrong.  The US losing in the quarters to Argentina would surprise me a great deal.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2016, 01:52:34 PM »

Offline soulman

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 21
I think Serbia will win silver medal at least but we will see...

« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2016, 09:20:58 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Vegas-

Australia by 4

Spain by 3 1/2

USA by 22 1/2

Serbia by 5 1/2

« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2016, 10:47:31 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
AUS by 18 at half time. Delly and Mills lighting it up.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2016, 11:00:41 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
AUS by 18 at half time. Delly and Mills lighting it up.

Dominate performance

« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2016, 11:07:15 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Sabonis kind of sucks. Things are very different when you can't overpower your opponents. The NBA is going to be a tough adjustment for him both from a physical and athletic standpoint.