Author Topic: Celtics 2020 Draft picks  (Read 56763 times)

Re: Celtics 2020 Draft picks
« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2020, 11:11:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't think Hampton lasts until the Cs at 17. He is a solid high upside pick.

I do have serious questions about whether he would be able to play for us, at all. He is essentially the same type of pick as Romeo Langford--a player that was a top prospect coming out of high school with excellent shot creation and good athleticism, but had a somewhat disappointing "rookie" or "freshman" season and therefore had a somewhat tepid response from scouts.

He'd be behind Walker-Smart-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Langford and probably Wanamker because of experience.

Still, I could talk myself into it if the Cs pick him.

Agreed.  We already have Romeo. 

I like Maxey or Quickley as backup PG picks (realistically available at 17 or 26).  There is ceiling to become starting PGs down the line

Langford plays 2 and small 3.

Hampton plays 2 and some 1.

They can play on the floor together. 

If Hampton slides to 17 you have to think hard about taking him.

I guess you do have to think about it

But if Maxey is also available, I would take him 1st. 

I would also fine with the Celts sitting (for a guard) and picking up a potential hidden gems like Ty Shon Alexander or Immanuel Quickley later in the draft

This is a pretty flat draft after the 1st 10 picks.  Celtics are in a good position

There is now a solid chance Memphis gets bumped from playoffs, jumping from 17 to 14/13 really should helpthe Cs catch the bottom of what I would consider this drafts drafts 3rd tier

Tbh I don't think it's all that great

they are still what 3 games ahead?  it is going to be a dogfight until the end, but they are a well run club (for such a young team)

I wouldn't be surprised if they clinch that 8th place
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 11:35:10 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #151 on: June 05, 2020, 07:15:07 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I do have serious questions about whether he would be able to play for us, at all. He is essentially the same type of pick as Romeo Langford--a player that was a top prospect coming out of high school with excellent shot creation and good athleticism, but had a somewhat disappointing "rookie" or "freshman" season and therefore had a somewhat tepid response from scouts.

He'd be behind Walker-Smart-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Langford and probably Wanamker because of experience.

I like Maxey or Quickley as backup PG picks (realistically available at 17 or 26).  There is ceiling to become starting PGs down the line

I would also fine with the Celts sitting (for a guard) and picking up a potential hidden gems like Ty Shon Alexander or Immanuel Quickley later in the draft

This is a pretty flat draft after the 1st 10 picks.  Celtics are in a good position

There is now a solid chance Memphis gets bumped from playoffs, jumping from 17 to 14/13 really should helpthe Cs catch the bottom of what I would consider this drafts drafts 3rd tier

they are still what 3 games ahead?  it is going to be a dogfight until the end, but they are a well run club (for such a young team)

If I understand this correctly any western conference team that gets within 4 games of the 8th seed is placed in a play in tournament with the 8th seeded team for the last playoff spot. The game will be double elimination for the 8th single for the 9th. I can see NO,SA, or Portland beating Memphis two games in a row.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2020, 09:42:40 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
looks like I'll be back to posting the weekly updates in a couple of months.  looking forward to it!!

« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2020, 02:38:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

If I understand this correctly any western conference team that gets within 4 games of the 8th seed is placed in a play in tournament with the 8th seeded team for the last playoff spot. The game will be double elimination for the 8th single for the 9th. I can see NO,SA, or Portland beating Memphis two games in a row.

True

« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2020, 04:57:54 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
Nevermind
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 05:08:19 PM by No Nickname »

« Reply #155 on: June 05, 2020, 05:26:36 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
looks like I'll be back to posting the weekly updates in a couple of months.  looking forward to it!!

I wish they would just call off the season and plan for the start of 2020-21, but at least there is something to root for that could really matter for the C's.   Would be great to see that draft pick move up. 

I wish I believed the C's had a shot at the title, but it's not their time yet.  I have to say the crowning (so to speak) cap to this miserable Corona virus era would be watching the King in purple and gold take their 17th title and tie the C's.  The thought makes me ill. 

« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2020, 09:37:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I wish they would just call off the season and plan for the start of 2020-21, but at least there is something to root for that could really matter for the C's.   Would be great to see that draft pick move up. 

I wish I believed the C's had a shot at the title, but it's not their time yet.  I have to say the crowning (so to speak) cap to this miserable Corona virus era would be watching the King in purple and gold take their 17th title and tie the C's.  The thought makes me ill. 
that's too nauseating to consider.  hoping every other team will be gunning to take them down

« Reply #157 on: June 06, 2020, 09:55:21 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

that's too nauseating to consider.  hoping every other team will be gunning to take them down

Anthony Davis hasn't reached his yearly quota for injuries yet ... I wouldn't be too worried.

« Reply #158 on: June 07, 2020, 09:12:16 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I just said something similar in the "NBA board expected to ok season restart plan" thread.  C's should tank by declining tp participate in the restart.  That would move the pick up and get the players fully healthy for 20-21 season.

« Reply #159 on: June 07, 2020, 05:08:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

True

Were this to occur, we would have the 14th pick rather than the 17th pick, which is quite a valuable jump.  Package our 26th or 30th pick and we could probably move up to 12th or 13th, which would give us a shot to get a more quality guy.

Changes of Griz getting a lottery pick (top 4) is about 2% in that case, which is highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

« Reply #160 on: June 07, 2020, 06:02:34 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

True

Were this to occur, we would have the 14th pick rather than the 17th pick, which is quite a valuable jump.  Package our 26th or 30th pick and we could probably move up to 12th or 13th, which would give us a shot to get a more quality guy.

Changes of Griz getting a lottery pick (top 4) is about 2% in that case, which is highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened.
Getting the 14th pick (w/26 & 30) could enable DA to move up to say as high as #8. If a player (say, Okongwu) is still there that DA likes a lot (there are about 8 players I like that I'd move up for) he'll ship the picks, I believe.

« Reply #161 on: June 11, 2020, 12:55:21 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

True

Getting the 14th pick (w/26 & 30) could enable DA to move up to say as high as #8. If a player (say, Okongwu) is still there that DA likes a lot (there are about 8 players I like that I'd move up for) he'll ship the picks, I believe.

I think he can get to 10 with the 17 and 26 picks, based on a value chart.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #162 on: June 11, 2020, 03:36:36 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

True

I think he can get to 10 with the 17 and 26 picks, based on a value chart.

Depends on what people like. He couldn't get the pick for Winslow from Charlotte with four first rounders.

What chart are you looking at?

« Reply #163 on: June 11, 2020, 03:50:22 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
in light of the proposed continuation of the season, I think Danny tries the following options in the offseason (in order of likelihood)
1. Danny tries to make a deal with some of the non-core roster (excludes core 5 and Theis) and the draft picks to land a couple of solid vets for the bench for next season.  Whatever picks he still has for this draft (or acquires in deals) are made where he takes BPA.
2. Danny tries to package this years picks to consolidate required roster spots and to move up in the draft for a particular player he really wants.  Any picks not used in the deal are used to take BPA in that slot.
3. Danny takes BPA at 17 and trades the other 3 picks, particularly 26 and 30 for future picks to gain future capital and free up mandatory roster spots.
4. Danny is unable to make any deals with the picks and just takes the BPA at each draft slot.  At least one of the players taken at 26 or 30 (or perhaps both) will be targeted as a Draft-and-Stash candidate. 

the one guarantee in all of this is that there will be incredibly emotional hand-wringing by a number of posters here that either bemoan the player(s) Danny picked wasn't their Binky or even talented and thus a wasted pick OR if the picks are traded away, there'll be moaning about whomever the picks were traded for isn't nearly as good as Player X who could have been taken with that pick in the draft.

« Reply #164 on: June 24, 2020, 01:03:18 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
One player that is growing on me is Grant Riller from Charleston College. Seems like a Brogdon-type player.