Author Topic: Kyrie wasn't at the bench during game. (update: he had a nasal surgery)  (Read 10899 times)

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Who cares.

As long as he performs at a high level when he's actually on the court (and, you know, can actually make a tangible impact on this team), I really don't care whether he is there or not. 

If you're not suiting up, it really doesn't matter to me where you're at.  Obviously, its nice to see those guys there on the bench but getting all bent out of shape because a guy who isn't playing, isn't attending a game he can't play in just seems ridiculous and reeks of being on a soapbox about someone's projection of contrived loyalty or maybe just upset that their binky got shipped out of town for this guy.

Contrived loyalty ?

Being at a home game your team is playing hardly seems a contrived act to me - I would demand that of myself and my teammates .............. and he said he wanted to go somewhere where he could lead a team by himself. Brother, that ain't leadin'.

Bottom line is his basic character is selfish. Ainge doesn't seem to care and Stevens is maybe too afraid to say anything. Maybe he did privately because this seems like the type of thing Stevens would not like to see on his team - he strikes me as old-school at heart.

I didn't trust Irving's head when we acquired him and he has done very little to reassure me and I hope very much to be proved wrong.

And as most people who have played a team sport can attest, once you step over the line onto the field/court/ice, anyone who isn't out there on the court/field/ice with you is pretty much irrelevant.   You think Tatum or Brown or whoever was thinking "Oh man, Kyrie isn't there on the bench in street clothes rooting on us on right now, whatever are we gonna do without our leader?" .  Of course not. I can guarantee that's not running through their head.  Playing the game & trying to win the game are.

Outside of offering some advice & a jumbotron appearance to boost the crowd up, whether or not he is there, really shouldn't matter.  Yes, it would be nice to have him there for symbolic purposes but if a guy isn't playing, it really shouldn't matter a lick.  It certainly shouldn't be something to get worked up about. I haven't seen anyone on the Celtics side coming out and complaining Sunday night's game.   I really haven't seen anyone from the organization complaining about the guy this season. 

People sure as heck aren't going to moan on this when they're out there at mid-court (or in some visitor locker room) accepting the Larry O'Brien trophy next June and he's right in the middle of it.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about it.

As long as he isn't out doing something to hurt himself, or someone else, I couldn't care less.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Keith Smith
 Talking to folks today, Boston had no problem with Kyrie Irving missing Game 7 due to his surgery for a deviated septum. Word is it was with a specific surgeon, who is hard to get in with. In addition, the plan was to get it done now and be back with the team had they advanced.

I think Boston/Ainge will never have an issue with Kyrie.  We traded for him knowing that he a) exerted no effort on defense throughout his career; b) demanded a trade from a perennial contender out of clinically significant narcissism/personality pathology; c) threatened to have surgery on his knee if his trade demand was not met; d) went several days without speaking to his teammates during the '17 Finals; e) has the character to trash his former city and coach in post-trade statements; f) needlessly placed himself at risk of missing the playoffs with his new team in year #1 (best impression) when it was apparent they couldn't beat GS, and then magically had an infection; g) missed the biggest opportunity of the season to support his young and overachieving teammates because his nighttime snoring was insufferable.

is this post a joke or serious?? You honestly think that the infection in his knee and the knee surgery was not real?

I think you know that I'm serious, but to substantiate my position, he loses the benefit of the doubt on (f) due to points (a) through (d).  They're simply facts.  On top of that, I recently went through all the same issues -- a bad break, hardware issues, a very serious infection that ate away at my wrist bone, etc -- and am leveraging my knowledge of those issues to better understand his situation.  It's amazing to me that people can see the situation otherwise, but I've come to the conclusion that fans simply don't care about a player's character if he contributes to wins.  I do, so be it.  I'll respect your opinion and hope for the same.

Right, you a weekend warrior at best, with say decent doctors, is similar to an NBA superstar and the medical care he receives.

It must be so exhausting for you to dislike a player so much, yet to know he's not going anywhere. When he shoots are you hoping it goes in because it helps the team or do you want him to miss because you have an agenda against the guy?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:04:01 PM by Eddie20 »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Who cares.

As long as he performs at a high level when he's actually on the court (and, you know, can actually make a tangible impact on this team), I really don't care whether he is there or not. 

If you're not suiting up, it really doesn't matter to me where you're at.  Obviously, its nice to see those guys there on the bench but getting all bent out of shape because a guy who isn't playing, isn't attending a game he can't play in just seems ridiculous and reeks of being on a soapbox about someone's projection of contrived loyalty or maybe just upset that their binky got shipped out of town for this guy.

Contrived loyalty ?

Being at a home game your team is playing hardly seems a contrived act to me - I would demand that of myself and my teammates .............. and he said he wanted to go somewhere where he could lead a team by himself. Brother, that ain't leadin'.

Bottom line is his basic character is selfish. Ainge doesn't seem to care and Stevens is maybe too afraid to say anything. Maybe he did privately because this seems like the type of thing Stevens would not like to see on his team - he strikes me as old-school at heart.

I didn't trust Irving's head when we acquired him and he has done very little to reassure me and I hope very much to be proved wrong.

And as most people who have played a team sport can attest, once you step over the line onto the field/court/ice, anyone who isn't out there on the court/field/ice with you is pretty much irrelevant.   You think Tatum or Brown or whoever was thinking "Oh man, Kyrie isn't there on the bench in street clothes rooting on us on right now, whatever are we gonna do without our leader?" .  Of course not. I can guarantee that's not running through their head.  Playing the game & trying to win the game are.

Outside of offering some advice & a jumbotron appearance to boost the crowd up, whether or not he is there, really shouldn't matter.  Yes, it would be nice to have him there for symbolic purposes but if a guy isn't playing, it really shouldn't matter a lick.  It certainly shouldn't be something to get worked up about. I haven't seen anyone on the Celtics side coming out and complaining Sunday night's game.   I really haven't seen anyone from the organization complaining about the guy this season. 

People sure as heck aren't going to moan on this when they're out there at mid-court (or in some visitor locker room) accepting the Larry O'Brien trophy next June and he's right in the middle of it.

I was a small-college Basketball All-American.

What you say about teammates being there or not being there is simply not true.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Who cares.

Contrived loyalty ?

I was a small-college Basketball All-American.

What you say about teammates being there or not being there is simply not true.

Good for you.  And I’ve played team sports my entire life as well as spent some time coaching & have certainly found it to be the case. Being there is nice in gesture but means very little else when you’re injured.

When we start hearing from his teammates and/or management that it was an actual issue he wasn’t there, maybe there’s something to it. Until then, it’s just angry projection from some fans. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
This is professional sports. Why do people care where Kyrie was? If it were mandatory to be present on the bench, Kyrie would have been present. Otherwise, he likely would have been fined. Therefore, it's reasonable to conclude the team did not make his appearance mandatory. If the Celtics organization doesn't care THAT much, why do fans?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:28:37 AM by KungPoweChicken »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Kyrie Irving spotted in his hometown in Hoboken, NJ.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/8nhywc/kyrie_irving_hanging_out_at_a_park_in_hoboken/

HOW DARE HE!! Shouldn’t he be with his teammates commiserating and drowning their sorrows in drink?  ::)
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
It's amazing to me that people can see the situation otherwise, but I've come to the conclusion that fans simply don't care about a player's character if he contributes to wins.

I am amazed and thankful more people don't think like you tar.  That's one thing I know from being on this forum for years now.  That would be my a through f takeaways from my time here.

Aside from your last rather unintelligible last sentence, wow. Just wow. Tell me, are you always this civil in person? ::)

Keith Smith
 Talking to folks today, Boston had no problem with Kyrie Irving missing Game 7 due to his surgery for a deviated septum. Word is it was with a specific surgeon, who is hard to get in with. In addition, the plan was to get it done now and be back with the team had they advanced.

I think Boston/Ainge will never have an issue with Kyrie.  We traded for him knowing that he a) exerted no effort on defense throughout his career; b) demanded a trade from a perennial contender out of clinically significant narcissism/personality pathology; c) threatened to have surgery on his knee if his trade demand was not met; d) went several days without speaking to his teammates during the '17 Finals; e) has the character to trash his former city and coach in post-trade statements; f) needlessly placed himself at risk of missing the playoffs with his new team in year #1 (best impression) when it was apparent they couldn't beat GS, and then magically had an infection; g) missed the biggest opportunity of the season to support his young and overachieving teammates because his nighttime snoring was insufferable.

is this post a joke or serious?? You honestly think that the infection in his knee and the knee surgery was not real?

I think you know that I'm serious, but to substantiate my position, he loses the benefit of the doubt on (f) due to points (a) through (d).  They're simply facts.  On top of that, I recently went through all the same issues -- a bad break, hardware issues, a very serious infection that ate away at my wrist bone, etc -- and am leveraging my knowledge of those issues to better understand his situation.  It's amazing to me that people can see the situation otherwise, but I've come to the conclusion that fans simply don't care about a player's character if he contributes to wins.  I do, so be it.  I'll respect your opinion and hope for the same.

Right, you a weekend warrior at best, with say decent doctors, is similar to an NBA superstar and the medical care he receives.

It must be so exhausting for you to dislike a player so much, yet to know he's not going anywhere. When he shoots are you hoping it goes in because it helps the team or do you want him to miss because you have an agenda against the guy?

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
i picked my wife up after this surgery , and inwas shocked how awful she looked and felt.   He face was all bruised and swollen . They had her druged up good , she was asleep when they did the nose job.

She was miserable for 24 hours after.  not sirprized he did want his nose near that crowd.

move on nothing to see.

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
This is a complete non starter. He showed up for some games and didn't make if for others. I doubt seriously that anyone cares outside of some posters on this site.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
i picked my wife up after this surgery , and inwas shocked how awful she looked and felt.   He face was all bruised and swollen . They had her druged up good , she was asleep when they did the nose job.

She was miserable for 24 hours after.  not sirprized he did want his nose near that crowd.

move on nothing to see.

Irving didn't look swollen or in any pain while he was out shooting pickup in this New Jersey video ........... Sure looked like he could have been at Game 7, no problem. Yes, this video is about a week out from surgery, but not a good look. He was self-centered in Cleveland and he is self-centered in Boston. All these Kyrie apologists sound like they are afraid he might get offended and stop liking Boston if we don't walk on eggshells around him. I will bet some of his teammates did not like him not showing up - but it's not like you are going to hear any public comments. Ainge and Stevens kiss his ass - like they are afraid he will get mad. If his ego is that fragile, I don't want him around.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

move on nothing to see.

Irving didn't look swollen or in any pain while he was out shooting pickup in this New Jersey video ........... Sure looked like he could have been at Game 7, no problem. Yes, this video is about a week out from surgery, but not a good look. He was self-centered in Cleveland and he is self-centered in Boston. All these Kyrie apologists sound like they are afraid he might get offended and stop liking Boston if we don't walk on eggshells around him. I will bet some of his teammates did not like him not showing up - but it's not like you are going to hear any public comments. Ainge and Stevens kiss his ass - like they are afraid he will get mad. If his ego is that fragile, I don't want him around.
Way to make drama out of literally nothing. An irrational dislike of Kyrie seems to lead to some pretty nonsensical conclusions
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Add the incredible level of noise and fear of infection as well as stress-WE just got gifted one of the most unique guards ever and his record speaks volumes All it takes one highlight reel to realize what you guys are criticizing and that Rozier is not even close but we will see the mentoring aspect of Kyrie spill over into everyone's game as Rozier challenges him daily.

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Add the incredible level of noise and fear of infection as well as stress-WE just got gifted one of the most unique guards ever and his record speaks volumes All it takes one highlight reel to realize what you guys are criticizing and that Rozier is not even close but we will see the mentoring aspect of Kyrie spill over into everyone's game as Rozier challenges him daily.

If people already have a predisposition towards disliking Kyrie then nothing Kyrie does will change their mind unfortunately.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
A tidbit from the Simmons podcast: More evidence on how uninformed the “how dare he not show up for every game?!?!” indignation is:

Kyrie Irving: [Sitting out the playoffs and watching Boston make a run] sucked, man. It sucked. I can’t even sugarcoat it, it was tough. Not from watching the guys, but of what I was dealing with outside of that. I was leaving the games at halftime because I had eight-hour shifts of antibiotics I had to take for my infection. I had a PICC (Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter) in my arm for two months and I’m just like, every day is like, I can’t lift, I can’t run, I can’t do anything. If I didn’t have my PICC line in for my infection, I would have definitely gone after trying to be ready for at least the Eastern Conference Finals. ” Bill Simmons: “Really?” Irving: “Yeah, for sure.”