Author Topic: Paul Pierce Article  (Read 5999 times)

Re: Paul Pierce Article
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 05:52:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
Nobody threw out their Paul Pierce Jersey that I know of. Why would people be mad at pierce? What could he have done? Say "I refuse to report to Brooklyn and you have to play me here!"?

Putting his departure in the same paragraph as Lebron who was a free agent, left his home town, and announced it on national television is really insulting to Pierce.

Like I said, while I appreciate the constructive criticism of my article, I really don't think the few of you here can speak on the fans of the Celtics, as to where or not they were or weren't mad at Pierce. Maybe I missed the target on what I was trying to say, I've never claimed to be an expert Basketball Analyst, I was just trying to ring home the point that Pierce will always be a Celtic, no matter which team he is playing for.

I still don't comprehend some of you saying that the article isn't worth reading, based on some of the comments, considering how much garbage there is on the internet these days. I tried my best to write a decent quality article and I hoped some people would enjoy reading it, but I guess I was wrong.

Again I appreciate the well thought out points a lot of you wrote, so I thank you for that.

I think the next time you send an article to CBlog for feedback, it would be good if you specify the type of feedback you are looking for.  From the linked web-page, it seems that you are trying to set up a site to provide NBA information.  I credit you highly for doing something I wouldn't know how to do and you are putting yourself out there in a way most of us wouldn't. Kudos to you!  (BTW, I did read the article).

I hope that you are seeking feedback because you want to improve and that your venture is at its beginning stages and you hope to learn and grow.  If that is the case, i think you'll find many people here who would be glad to throw their '2-cents' to provide you support, advice, guidance, etc.   There are also a few here (and everywhere on the web for that matter) who will see opportunities to criticize.  That is something you have to expect if you ask for feedback (especially if you ask for it so generally).   

My first advice to you would be to expect some impolite responses and to learn to respond to them without defensiveness, but with humor and good spirit.  This will not only be more likely to gain you further interactions and feedback, but will be better for your own well-being.   

My next advice would be to keep working at it and learn to become the NBA analyst that you claim not to be.  Most people reading a site called "NBA Informer" will expect a degree of researched information and expertise -- and they'll also appreciate a good provocative editorial -- especially after you've gained credibility as a source.   

I don't mean any of the above as a criticism -- I mean it all solely as encouragement.  I respect anyone who goes out on a limb doing something that interests them and is willing to take risks and learn from their successes and from their mistakes.

Best of luck!!!! 

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 05:59:11 PM »

Offline SportsCanuck

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Nobody threw out their Paul Pierce Jersey that I know of. Why would people be mad at pierce? What could he have done? Say "I refuse to report to Brooklyn and you have to play me here!"?

Putting his departure in the same paragraph as Lebron who was a free agent, left his home town, and announced it on national television is really insulting to Pierce.

Like I said, while I appreciate the constructive criticism of my article, I really don't think the few of you here can speak on the fans of the Celtics, as to where or not they were or weren't mad at Pierce. Maybe I missed the target on what I was trying to say, I've never claimed to be an expert Basketball Analyst, I was just trying to ring home the point that Pierce will always be a Celtic, no matter which team he is playing for.

I still don't comprehend some of you saying that the article isn't worth reading, based on some of the comments, considering how much garbage there is on the internet these days. I tried my best to write a decent quality article and I hoped some people would enjoy reading it, but I guess I was wrong.

Again I appreciate the well thought out points a lot of you wrote, so I thank you for that.

I think the next time you send an article to CBlog for feedback, it would be good if you specify the type of feedback you are looking for.  From the linked web-page, it seems that you are trying to set up a site to provide NBA information.  I credit you highly for doing something I wouldn't know how to do and you are putting yourself out there in a way most of us wouldn't. Kudos to you!  (BTW, I did read the article).

I hope that you are seeking feedback because you want to improve and that your venture is at its beginning stages and you hope to learn and grow.  If that is the case, i think you'll find many people here who would be glad to throw their '2-cents' to provide you support, advice, guidance, etc.   There are also a few here (and everywhere on the web for that matter) who will see opportunities to criticize.  That is something you have to expect if you ask for feedback (especially if you ask for it so generally).   

My first advice to you would be to expect some impolite responses and to learn to respond to them without defensiveness, but with humor and good spirit.  This will not only be more likely to gain you further interactions and feedback, but will be better for your own well-being.   

My next advice would be to keep working at it and learn to become the NBA analyst that you claim not to be.  Most people reading a site called "NBA Informer" will expect a degree of researched information and expertise -- and they'll also appreciate a good provocative editorial -- especially after you've gained credibility as a source.   

I don't mean any of the above as a criticism -- I mean it all solely as encouragement.  I respect anyone who goes out on a limb doing something that interests them and is willing to take risks and learn from their successes and from their mistakes.

Best of luck!!!!

Thanks for the feedback Necrotic Guy, it is much appreciated. I used to write a lot of articles on professional wrestling for sites like Bleacher Report and others, so maybe I was used to writing at a certain level when it came to articles.

With that being said, I think I'm done with attempting to write articles, for the simple fact that I have always had struggles, even on the topic of professional wrestling, which I have an extensive knowledge base on. I think I do much better with writing short news posts, like I have been doing with my professional wrestling website.

Guess it's my own fault for seeking feedback from the internet, I think I'll leave the writing of articles to individuals who are much better than I.

"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer." - Larry Bird

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 06:35:29 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Well, I wanted to read the article but it's down now. So went ahead and checked out the rest of www.nbainformer.com

This domain name is definitely above average. It's concise enough and easy to remember. Well done on selecting this as your name. Other then that, everything else seems like a placeholder. It seems like you have about 5-7 things on your website that on done pretty half ass overall but I think it has potential. I would ditch some of these half-assed things and focus more on making other parts of your site really really good.  Try to find something no other site is doing and get the most you can out of it.

The twitter seems to only cover a couple of NBA twitter accounts. Add more and include players. Just off the top of my head, it would be really cool if you had a link at the top to a twitter section on your site, there you could sort through each team's twitters.. Say I wanted to see all of the Magic's players and association related twitters in one spot, and bam there it is. You could have links to each team. That would be really cool.

The Salaries are only for teams not the players. This has to be addressed and you should try to find a dynamic and more interesting way to display the salaries to make people want to go to your site to see them instead of basketball reference.

NBA Standings seems to be just an image, it should be replaced with a table you can sort. Again try to put a spin on these standings that present them differently then other sites. Find a way to sneak in more information possibly or display the standings visually along with numerically. It has to be updated every day though and sortable for it to really appeal.

Color scheme is pretty wild. Orange and blue also screams Knicks.. I would go with more neutral colors.

Ditch the advertisements for now, you wont make anything this early from them.

The news articles don't appear to offer much different from espn or yahoo sports. I wouldn't even post news yet, find a way to gather links from already existing NBA news sources into one place on your site for people to see all at once. It's too time consuming for you to write all the news and you should be more focused on writing entertaining content (think Grantland type articles).. or making the other parts of your website more accessible.

I know this is just the start for you, dont give up, with some effort it could be really good. Good luck.

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 07:10:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Hey man,

I hope my comments didn't contribute to you not wanting to post stories any more/and or taking it down. I was just explaining my personal reaction to that one part about pierce. Keep at it!

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
When Pierce was traded, I went out to buy his jersey.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 07:30:34 PM »

Offline SportsCanuck

• Oshae Brissett
Well, I wanted to read the article but it's down now. So went ahead and checked out the rest of www.nbainformer.com

This domain name is definitely above average. It's concise enough and easy to remember. Well done on selecting this as your name. Other then that, everything else seems like a placeholder. It seems like you have about 5-7 things on your website that on done pretty half ass overall but I think it has potential. I would ditch some of these half-assed things and focus more on making other parts of your site really really good.  Try to find something no other site is doing and get the most you can out of it.

The twitter seems to only cover a couple of NBA twitter accounts. Add more and include players. Just off the top of my head, it would be really cool if you had a link at the top to a twitter section on your site, there you could sort through each team's twitters.. Say I wanted to see all of the Magic's players and association related twitters in one spot, and bam there it is. You could have links to each team. That would be really cool.

The Salaries are only for teams not the players. This has to be addressed and you should try to find a dynamic and more interesting way to display the salaries to make people want to go to your site to see them instead of basketball reference.

NBA Standings seems to be just an image, it should be replaced with a table you can sort. Again try to put a spin on these standings that present them differently then other sites. Find a way to sneak in more information possibly or display the standings visually along with numerically. It has to be updated every day though and sortable for it to really appeal.

Color scheme is pretty wild. Orange and blue also screams Knicks.. I would go with more neutral colors.

Ditch the advertisements for now, you wont make anything this early from them.

The news articles don't appear to offer much different from espn or yahoo sports. I wouldn't even post news yet, find a way to gather links from already existing NBA news sources into one place on your site for people to see all at once. It's too time consuming for you to write all the news and you should be more focused on writing entertaining content (think Grantland type articles).. or making the other parts of your website more accessible.

I know this is just the start for you, dont give up, with some effort it could be really good. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback incoherent, it's much appreciated. Nice to know that there are still some people out there that can formulate criticism without being insulting. I've tried to find some decent ways to make tables for the salaries, but with the site builder I use the options are limited. I may try using Google tables, like hoopshype.com does. I can see your point about the color scheme, it does seem like it's favoring the Knicks. I see what you are saying about the news posts, but I really don't like hot linking to other sites that have similar news posts, that just gives them more hits and sometimes I like to add my own take on the news, so the readers can read different points of view.

I'll take your advice on the Team Twitter Accounts, I'll have to figure out a way to incorporate that into the site. If you have any more feedback, feel free to post.

"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer." - Larry Bird

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 07:32:48 PM »

Offline SportsCanuck

• Oshae Brissett
Hey man,

I hope my comments didn't contribute to you not wanting to post stories any more/and or taking it down. I was just explaining my personal reaction to that one part about pierce. Keep at it!

Thanks, no need to explain yourself. Like I said I need to focus more on news, and less on articles which never have been my strong suit. I have to be honest, the last decade or so I haven't kept up with the NBA as closely as other have, so that could be why my article was a little one sided. I'm getting back into the game, so hopefully that will reflect with NBAInformer.com.