Author Topic: Pacers (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Round 1 Game 1 4/14/19  (Read 46315 times)

Re: Pacers (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Round 1 Game 1 4/14/19
« Reply #645 on: April 15, 2019, 11:42:04 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Even when we were down 10 I was saying we should easily sweep this team.  They went 16-19 without Oladipo.  They are the worst team in the playoffs. 

Even if we end up getting murdered by the Bucks in Round 2, this series should be a cake walk.
Pistons are the worst.
Without Blake.

Am I the only one who thinks that Kyrie's defense was spectacular today?

Nope, you are not.

Kyrie had two big steals today and really hustles on defense. Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but he's also been a pretty decent rebounder throughout the season. He's alot more productive on the defensive end then people realize (by people, I mean the NBA "insiders")

I don't think Kyrie has the defensive instincts to be a great defender but he has good size, good hands, and when he hustles he can make big differences on that end. He did that yesterday and I think he's been doing it all season.

Captain Marcus Smart rubbing off on him. ;)
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #646 on: April 15, 2019, 11:47:21 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
FYI, replay on NBA TV right now.  Just starting the 4th quarter.

« Reply #647 on: April 15, 2019, 03:44:36 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
I just watched my DVR of the game (thankfully with Mike and Tommy). Not dissatisfied at all. Obviously they shot very poorly but I'm really happy they stuck in there and didn't let their poor shooting affect their defense. It wasn't just our defense though, obviously Indy missed some shots that they make any other time but pleased with how they responded to adversity, given they've folded like cheap suits when the pressure's been applied. I think offensively they will be a lot better.

I know Jaylen only scored 2 points but I was very happy with how he chased Bogdanovic around all night. Also very happy with Kyrie's defensive effort. Someone on the match thread said that Kyrie overdribbled the ball again?  ??? I watched the replay twice and couldn't see where he did that. If anything I think the team went out of their way to pass and find the open guy, they just couldn't make the shots. According to NBA.com we made 265 passes in the game which was 11th of all teams in the playoffs. Not great but not terrible? And Kyrie made 48 of them (you'd expect him to, he's the point guard). He averaged 4.8 dribbles per touch and held the ball for an average of 5 secs. Brad Wanamaker actually held the ball and dribbled longer than Kyrie did, he had 7.1 dribbles per touch and held the ball for an average of 8 sec per touch. Obviously Wanamaker was only there for 4 min and the game was out of hand by then.

I've heard this "dribbles the air out of the ball" comment with Kyrie many times, obviously it's something he used to do back in Cleveland a lot, but since he's played in Boston I haven't really seen it as his default mode, he's actually very quick to move the ball on, it's only when it's isolation time, usually at the end of the game, that he "dribbles the air out of the ball".

Also happy with Gordon's contribution, 10 points where he missed some shots in the paint. I liked how he was aggressive and attacking but picked his moments. He was solid defensively as well. And obviously Mook picked the right time to start making shots. I just hope he's cognizant of the fact that given we have so many players anyone can get hot at any time, and feed that hot hand instead of chucking up shots regardless of that.

I think they got all those first game nerves out of the way. They know they can beat this team if they continue to work hard defensively even if they shoot poorly again.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #648 on: April 15, 2019, 03:50:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Wouldn't surprise me if both teams come out rusty again for Game 2.

Two days off between Game 1 and 2, which I feel will have some effect.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #649 on: April 15, 2019, 04:16:10 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Hopefully having a normal start time means a more normal first half. These early starts can yield some weird games.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #650 on: April 15, 2019, 04:51:57 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Maybe there was something wrong with the left-half of the basketball court/rim! The Celtics couldn't get shots in in the first half, and then the Pacers struggled mightily there as well.

But somehow, I think Indiana will tie this back to how Boston sports have a reputation of "fixing things/creating an unfair advantage" in competitive games lolol. After all, Indiana sports is good at making excuses and fabricating scandals when they lose which don't surprise me.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #651 on: April 15, 2019, 05:07:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I just watched my DVR of the game (thankfully with Mike and Tommy). Not dissatisfied at all. Obviously they shot very poorly but I'm really happy they stuck in there and didn't let their poor shooting affect their defense. It wasn't just our defense though, obviously Indy missed some shots that they make any other time but pleased with how they responded to adversity, given they've folded like cheap suits when the pressure's been applied. I think offensively they will be a lot better.

I know Jaylen only scored 2 points but I was very happy with how he chased Bogdanovic around all night. Also very happy with Kyrie's defensive effort. Someone on the match thread said that Kyrie overdribbled the ball again?  ??? I watched the replay twice and couldn't see where he did that. If anything I think the team went out of their way to pass and find the open guy, they just couldn't make the shots. According to NBA.com we made 265 passes in the game which was 11th of all teams in the playoffs. Not great but not terrible? And Kyrie made 48 of them (you'd expect him to, he's the point guard). He averaged 4.8 dribbles per touch and held the ball for an average of 5 secs. Brad Wanamaker actually held the ball and dribbled longer than Kyrie did, he had 7.1 dribbles per touch and held the ball for an average of 8 sec per touch. Obviously Wanamaker was only there for 4 min and the game was out of hand by then.

I've heard this "dribbles the air out of the ball" comment with Kyrie many times, obviously it's something he used to do back in Cleveland a lot, but since he's played in Boston I haven't really seen it as his default mode, he's actually very quick to move the ball on, it's only when it's isolation time, usually at the end of the game, that he "dribbles the air out of the ball".

Also happy with Gordon's contribution, 10 points where he missed some shots in the paint. I liked how he was aggressive and attacking but picked his moments. He was solid defensively as well. And obviously Mook picked the right time to start making shots. I just hope he's cognizant of the fact that given we have so many players anyone can get hot at any time, and feed that hot hand instead of chucking up shots regardless of that.

I think they got all those first game nerves out of the way. They know they can beat this team if they continue to work hard defensively even if they shoot poorly again.

TP for this. Pretty much sums up my thoughts on game 1.

« Reply #652 on: April 15, 2019, 08:22:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

It's always going to be said regardless of how he actually plays
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #653 on: April 15, 2019, 08:27:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yeah, gotta watch who is saying what in the thread. Otherwise you might think Stevens is the worst coach ever, Kyrie only dribbles and shoots and never passes, Brown has no BBIQ, Hayward is playing no better now than at the begininng of the year and the team has been lucky to win 20 games this year.

« Reply #654 on: April 15, 2019, 10:12:00 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Non-celtic fans saying that this game is boring. lol

Looks like they haven't watched real playoff games.

« Reply #655 on: April 15, 2019, 10:25:51 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

Yeah, gotta watch who is saying what in the thread. Otherwise you might think Stevens is the worst coach ever, Kyrie only dribbles and shoots and never passes, Brown has no BBIQ, Hayward is playing no better now than at the begininng of the year and the team has been lucky to win 20 games this year.

Ya I just scrolled thru quickly on my phone earlier and didn't see who it was or what page it was on, but it surprised me because it was so different to what I had watched that I spent 20 mins trying to find stats to support that assertion and couldn't  :-\
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D