Author Topic: Bragging rights, Predict Celtics Season Record  (Read 17624 times)

Re: Bragging rights, Predict Celtics Season Record
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2017, 04:14:36 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Not only did many people nail the exact number, but even more impressively, it looks to me like the answers are pretty much centered around the right number too.

We come off looking like a pretty smart and reasonable bunch, after the fact. I think it's a testament to the quality of people who frequent the board. And, I think it's a pretty good defense against the accusation that we are all pie-eyed homers who overvalue our talent/coaching.
Amen.  I hate it when people tell me I'm biased towards my own teams.  That is not the case.  When they are bad, I am the first to call it out.  I think less educated fans probably tend to be more homer-ish.

« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2017, 04:22:39 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
53-29, #2 seed.

Get upset by Indiana Pacers in East Semis.

Wow, I can't believe I actually nailed the predicted score. I got so lucky, but I knew we'd be around that column lol. If it weren't for that stupid Phoenix Suns game and that stupid foul at the Bulls game, could've been better!

But it'd be nice to see the Pacers in the Eastern Conference Finals and beat them ;D ;D ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2017, 04:36:19 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Not only did many people nail the exact number, but even more impressively, it looks to me like the answers are pretty much centered around the right number too.

We come off looking like a pretty smart and reasonable bunch, after the fact. I think it's a testament to the quality of people who frequent the board. And, I think it's a pretty good defense against the accusation that we are all pie-eyed homers who overvalue our talent/coaching.

Here's one from last year that supports this too - the guesses were more varied but many were quite close and we tended to err on the side of underestimating the 48 wins we got. Everybody's got their biases but we're a pretty clear-eyed group overall.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=80953.15

« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2017, 04:45:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I went back through the thread and counted 56 guesses (excluding the two optimists who went for 82-0). 

The guesses ranged from 45-61.
The mean guess was 53.6.
The median guess was 53.
The most common guess was 52.
36 out of 56 guesses were between 51-55 wins, or within two of our actual total.

Nice job being realistic, everyone!

« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2017, 04:50:57 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I went back through the thread and counted 56 guesses (excluding the two optimists who went for 82-0). 

The mean guess was 53.6.
The median guess was 53.
36 out of 56 guesses were between 51-55 wins, or within two of our actual total.

That's pretty phenomenal when you think about it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2017, 04:51:22 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

The mean guess was 53.6.
The median guess was 53.

TP for doing the job I was too lazy to do myself. Thanks.

« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2017, 04:54:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
52 - 30. Minimal regular season bump, but finally make it out of the 1st round.

This honestly seems spot on to me. Great post and TP, brother.

So far, so good.  Clearly I was enamored with my own prediction, too. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2017, 05:00:22 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
I'm going out on a limb and predicting 53-29. Cleveland will struggle more than many people expect, and we'll clinch the top seed in the East by beating Milwaukee in the regular season finale.

« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2017, 05:04:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I didn't realize you were responding to yourself.  That messes up my data I calculated earlier, since you were double-counted.

Updated: The mean jumps to 53.8 from 53.6.  Median and mode stay the same, however.

« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2017, 07:54:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I didn't realize you were responding to yourself.  That messes up my data I calculated earlier, since you were double-counted.

Updated: The mean jumps to 53.8 from 53.6.  Median and mode stay the same, however.

Sorry, moment of loneliness there.

Seems at though the sites making predictions -- nyloncalculus, carmelo -- were pretty accurate.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:42:44 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC