Author Topic: Embiid: “faked my way into NBA, taught myself using YouTube videos”  (Read 6698 times)

Re: Embiid: “faked my way into NBA, taught myself using YouTube videos”
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2018, 02:15:56 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
He should youtube "Boston Celtics" - specifically:

Al Horford.

Aaron Baynes.

Daniel Theis.

Robert Thomas.

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2018, 11:21:40 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Finally, here's an article on how the Players' Tribune actually works.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/players-tribune-articles-arent-written-by-the-players-which-creates-a-host-of-issues.html
TP for the link.  I really don't see an issue with the approach they take.  It's a medium for the players to express themselves pretty much unfiltered rather than a reporter doing a traditional interview and crafting the story they want to present from it.  Reporters can challenge inaccuracies in players PT articles as they can their tweets and instagram posts. 

Hoenig said these interviews are less traditional question-and-answer sessions than monologues with questions to nudge the conversation along. Editing is minimal, he added, and the athletes get the final approval. The staff producers who talk to them do not get bylines.

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2018, 12:29:53 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
But Joel Embiid himself as a character is unfathomable so I don't like him in general. Nice KG reference though.
I find that comment unfathomable.  Embiid is as open and straightforward as a professional athlete or really any public figure can be.  He's a breath of fresh air compared to Lebron, KD, Wade, Kawhi ...
I think he would be better served being professional like those guys and talking like those guys. His mouth is going to get him in trouble. He would be better off not coming off as a clown like Dwight Howard has most of his career.

I mean, his " Random white people" quote is rather bad. If Steven Adam's did an article and at the end he said "Thank you random black people", there would be major blowback.
Embiid makes me think of Shaq not Howard.  Embiid is doing a good job of marketing himself while being himself.  He's a showman not a clown.  His trash talking is great.  His playing up to the crowd, both home and away, is great.  His social media usage is great.  You don't have to be a stick in the mud to be a professional.   

I think the "Random white people" quote is quite funny and probably at least somewhat truthful considering Embiid's background.  As a white person am I supposed to take offense?  Or maybe black people are supposed to take offense because he's dissing their 3pt shooting form?  I'm not sure what Steven Adams might have to thank random black people about but if he had something it would be really funny.  America is just too hung up on race (and other things). 

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2018, 12:34:18 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Al Horford.

Aaron Baynes.

Daniel Theis.

Robert Thomas.
Robert Thomas?  Maybe you should learn our players' names first. 

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2018, 12:37:24 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I can't imagine actually being offended by anything Embiid dictated.

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2018, 01:43:58 PM »

Offline unclebay

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
I looked up "white people shooting"?

Is this suppose to be comedy? What would the reaction be if Adam Morrison said he googled black people dunking to learn to dunk? That's just weird
Oh for God's sake,  get over it.
Why? If the situation was reversed, would you say the same thing?

Embiid is a clown
No,  I would not say the same if the situation was reversed. It would be cringe worthy because, perhaps you've forgot, but white people enslaved brown people in this country for 400 years and like it or not, that still has an impact on things today.  That comment from a white person, due to black people's place in the history of this country as well as present place, would be ill advised.
You and other's comments seem rather out of touch and perhaps you need a history lesson.
All that aside, his comment is not inherently racist. The people in the video are "random" to him, since he doesn't know them and they were white. That is not a racist comment.

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2018, 06:19:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Is this suppose to be comedy? What would the reaction be if Adam Morrison said he googled black people dunking to learn to dunk? That's just weird

Embiid is a clown
No,  I would not say the same if the situation was reversed. It would be cringe worthy because, perhaps you've forgot, but white people enslaved brown people in this country for 400 years and like it or not, that still has an impact on things today.  That comment from a white person, due to black people's place in the history of this country as well as present place, would be ill advised.
You and other's comments seem rather out of touch and perhaps you need a history lesson.
All that aside, his comment is not inherently racist. The people in the video are "random" to him, since he doesn't know them and they were white. That is not a racist comment.

I'll preface this by saying i am not personally offended by any of this and am not losing any sleep. That being said if I wrote a public essay saying I wanted to learn math so I googled Chinese people doing math (a similar stereotype) I would expect to lose my job. Let's be realistic

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2018, 06:28:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Embiid is a clown
Lol, about what I expected ::)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2018, 07:40:58 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Embiid is a clown
Lol, about what I expected ::)

Owe you a beer gouki

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2018, 08:14:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
how to play NBA basketball,in 6 quick easy lessons.

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2018, 08:22:23 PM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
No one has ever used the Internet as effectively as Joel Embiid.
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2018, 08:24:00 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Al Horford.

Aaron Baynes.

Daniel Theis.

Robert Thomas.

I incorrectly stated Robert's last name on purpose - just so I could test CelticsBlog.

And you WIN!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ0BXUkzRqM

Enjoy your car.

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2018, 08:26:29 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
No one has ever used the Internet as effectively as Joel Embiid.

Sincerely,

Mr. Zuckerberg

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2018, 08:28:29 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Al Horford.

Aaron Baynes.

Daniel Theis.

Robert Thomas.

I incorrectly stated Robert's last name on purpose - just so I could test CelticsBlog.

And you WIN!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ0BXUkzRqM

Enjoy your car.

lol

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2018, 08:40:26 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Embiid is a clown

I'll preface this by saying i am not personally offended by any of this and am not losing any sleep. That being said if I wrote a public essay saying I wanted to learn math so I googled Chinese people doing math (a similar stereotype) I would expect to lose my job. Let's be realistic
Why would you get fired for saying a group is good at something and you tried to learn from them?