Author Topic: Woj update on Sportscenter.  (Read 9218 times)

Re: Woj update on Sportscenter.
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2019, 12:17:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I like Turner, but I like Smart more.  I can't see the Pacers giving Turner up for the 3 picks and our 3rd stringers....but I didn't know that Indiana wasn't happy with him either, so who knows.

I love the Celtics more and I know Turner would improve the team more than Smart at its current state. We already have plenty of good wings we have a major flaw at the Center position. It’s crazy to not see how smart is the obvious choice to be traded in order to make that upgrade. If we don’t fill that Center position I just can’t see how we could better our team at all. If Ainge doesn’t find a “long term” solution this offseason we are headed to mediocrity.

Those are a whole lot of opinions that you are describing as facts.

I like Myles Turner, he is a good developing young player.  But he has the tendency to just disappear a lot.  That is pretty much what he did against us in the 4 playoff games this year.  He averaged 9.8 points / 6.3 rebounds / 1.8 block in 32 min / game against us in the playoffs.  If our bigs are so bad, then why wasn't he dominating Horford and Baynes?  Those don't seem like numbers that are a 'long term solution to mediocrity'.  Everyone can have a bad playoff series, it doesn't mean he isn't a good player, but maybe you can see how someone might have a different opinion.

If we can get him for our 3 picks in this draft and our 3rd stringers absolutely.   I don't see that happening.

Sheesh where to begin?

I didn’t say that our bigs were bad, I labeled our Center position as a flaw, there is a difference. Baynes and Horford are good Defenders so of course Turner isn’t going to dominate them right now he’s still learning for one and he also isn’t built to be a “main guy”’type of player.

The main point is out of al the positions which position needs the most improvement? Even if Kyrie came back which position still needs the most improvement? It’s not rocket science how in pointing out our Center posting is flawed it’s obviously our oldest position and the position where teams in the east have begun to exploit. Myles has DOPY potential and trading Smart for him would be a wise choice.
I mean, you're still presenting your opinion as if it's fact. That's simply the truth
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2019, 12:19:03 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

I like Turner, but I like Smart more.  I can't see the Pacers giving Turner up for the 3 picks and our 3rd stringers....but I didn't know that Indiana wasn't happy with him either, so who knows.

I love the Celtics more and I know Turner would improve the team more than Smart at its current state. We already have plenty of good wings we have a major flaw at the Center position. It’s crazy to not see how smart is the obvious choice to be traded in order to make that upgrade. If we don’t fill that Center position I just can’t see how we could better our team at all. If Ainge doesn’t find a “long term” solution this offseason we are headed to mediocrity.

I like Myles Turner, he is a good developing young player.  But he has the tendency to just disappear a lot.  That is pretty much what he did against us in the 4 playoff games this year.  He averaged 9.8 points / 6.3 rebounds / 1.8 block in 32 min / game against us in the playoffs.  If our bigs are so bad, then why wasn't he dominating Horford and Baynes?  Those don't seem like numbers that are a 'long term solution to mediocrity'.  Everyone can have a bad playoff series, it doesn't mean he isn't a good player, but maybe you can see how someone might have a different opinion.

If we can get him for our 3 picks in this draft and our 3rd stringers absolutely.   I don't see that happening.

Sheesh where to begin?

I didn’t say that our bigs were bad, I labeled our Center position as a flaw, there is a difference. Baynes and Horford are good Defenders so of course Turner isn’t going to dominate them right now he’s still learning for one and he also isn’t built to be a “main guy”’type of player.

The main point is out of al the positions which position needs the most improvement? Even if Kyrie came back which position still needs the most improvement? It’s not rocket science how in pointing out our Center posting is flawed it’s obviously our oldest position and the position where teams in the east have begun to exploit. Myles has DOPY potential and trading Smart for him would be a wise choice.
I mean, you're still presenting your opinion as if it's fact. That's simply the truth

What opinion I’m missing it?

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2019, 12:20:36 AM »

Online smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisgrenham/status/1140752136566923265?s=21

-Celtics"almost to the point of resignation" that kyrie is going to leave

-Celtics will try to trade at least 1 of the 3 1st round picks
[/b]

I hope they just draft players and see if they can strike gold.

It could mean they try to trade into a future draft.  It’s hard to get enough minutes for three rookies on what you hope to be a competitive team to even see if you can strike gold on one.  I think two firsts is the optimal number, and I’d prefer to turn one of these into a future pick to get two in that season as well.

First off- I agree.  I would try and strike gold with multiple 1sts, but not necessarily this year. If I could trade 1 or even 2 of these picks for lottery protected future firsts (or perhaps better for #14) then I'd be happier to take my chances striking gold via 1st round picks beyond this year, likely in drafts with higher upside players.

And second- welcome back Saltlover!  It's truly a bizarre and unpleasant time in Celticsblog/Strong history, your presence couldn't come at a better time.

2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2019, 12:22:13 AM »

Online smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Nyk wants a first rounder for Frank Ntilikina

Laughable...Not your post but this guy has never panned out and I doubt they get it.

I don't know much about the kid, it seems like he's been bad, but I'd consider trading a late 2nd for him.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2019, 12:23:41 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Sheesh where to begin?

"I know Turner would improve the team more than Smart" - Opinion.  Smart is a 1st Team All Def NBA player right now.  Others might def. see Smart as more important to our team.
"It's crazy to not see how Smart is the obvious choice to be traded to make that upgrade" - Opinion.  There are numerous other ways we could upgrade the team.
"If Ainge doesn't find a 'long term' solution this offseason we are headed to mediocrity" - Opinion.  If Al is here next year, he is still better than Turner - my opinion.

Look I like Turner too, but it irks me when people make opinion statements and try to pass them off as facts.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:31:57 AM by blink »

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2019, 12:36:25 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Sheesh where to begin?

"I know Turner would improve the team more than Smart" - Opinion.  Smart is a 1st Team All Def NBA player right now.  Others might def. see Smart as more important to our team.
"It's crazy to not see how Smart is the obvious choice to be traded to make that upgrade" - Opinion.  There are numerous other ways we could upgrade the team.
"If Ainge doesn't find a 'long term' solution this offseason we are headed to mediocrity" - Opinion.  If Al is here next year, he is still better than Turner.

Look I like Turner too, but it irks me when people make opinion statements and try to pass them off as facts.

How much of a drop off do you see the team take if Brown starts in the SG position over Smart? You can argue which one is better that’s fine. If you would rather trade Brown and not Smart then again.. cool

Now how much do you see the Center position improve with Turner over Baynes? Turner is a better defender than Baynes as Turner can switch out to the perimeter. Turner also blocks more shots. Tuner also has a higher ceiling then Baynes (sorry for my opinion on this I guess)

Ok me calling the Celtics heading to mediocrity may have been a harsh critique or “opinion” I’ll give you that one. The main point of the statement was to view the position that has needed improvement for some time now. If it didn’t need improvement then we wouldn’t of had been getting pounded in the paint by dam near everyone. Horford cannot do it alone and if Baynes was suitable to do it on consistent basis he would of been starting (fact).

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2019, 01:03:16 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
My preferences are for Yabu to be elsewhere. I have no problem packaging him and a pick for someone on the late part of their rookie deal that still can grow but can contribute some now. Yabu is useless.

In that scenario, I have no problem bringing in 2 rookies for roster slots 14 and 15. But if Yabu remains, I only want one rookie on the team. Those last three slots should be for players you don't expect to contribute so best use it on players to develop that you can have regularly in Maine.

I think Williams is one of those players so the other two can be two rookies or Yabu and one rookie. I in no way want to see Yabu, Williams and 3 rookies, plus a couple of two way players on this team next year.
If you're planning on being a competitive team, your reserves can't be young guys who might give you a decent effort one night and nothing the next two.  You need veteran role players with skills you can rely on who accept their role and perform it consistently.   Too many guys on that bench right now are just taking up space - Yabu being one of them.  Wasted pick.

But IS Danny planning on being competitive this season? That might depend on one's definition of "competitive," but I can't see this team (as currently constructed) being more than a 45-win team.
A less talented team than the one we will put on the court this fall beat Philly & Milwaukee in the playoffs last year, assuming Horford stays.

I think Philly and Milwaukee have improved a good bit since then.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2019, 01:45:16 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
If Turner can be had for our lowly picks and third stringers, then get this done immediately.

More realistically you are looking at sending out Smart or Brown and picks. Turner is a really good player and would be a cornerstone of our team moving forward if we got him.

Truth be told I’d offer Smart, Williams, 14th 20th, And 22nd. For Turner + 18.

The Celtics will have Sg,SF, and Center position locked down for years to come.

Wow that's a massive overpay for a guy who averaged 13/7 this past season. That's like half the farm for an Anthony Davis proposed deal.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2019, 02:26:23 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson

Sheesh where to begin?

"If Ainge doesn't find a 'long term' solution this offseason we are headed to mediocrity" - Opinion.  If Al is here next year, he is still better than Turner.

How much of a drop off do you see the team take if Brown starts in the SG position over Smart? You can argue which one is better that’s fine. If you would rather trade Brown and not Smart then again.. cool

Now how much do you see the Center position improve with Turner over Baynes? Turner is a better defender than Baynes as Turner can switch out to the perimeter. Turner also blocks more shots. Tuner also has a higher ceiling then Baynes (sorry for my opinion on this I guess)

Ok me calling the Celtics heading to mediocrity may have been a harsh critique or “opinion” I’ll give you that one. The main point of the statement was to view the position that has needed improvement for some time now. If it didn’t need improvement then we wouldn’t of had been getting pounded in the paint by dam near everyone. Horford cannot do it alone and if Baynes was suitable to do it on consistent basis he would of been starting (fact).

When did I say I would rather trade Brown instead of Smart?  I don’t want to trade either one for Turner.  I honestly see Smart, Brown and Tatum as our core moving forward.  Those are the young guys that impact winning.  I am keeping those guys and adding to them.  If Horford doesn’t resign with us Turner would be ok, but I don’t see Turner as some future mvp.  He is ok, young and could develop and fits with the timeline for Snart Brown and Tatum.

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2019, 02:39:40 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I must not being seeing in Turner what some do. I think he is very mediocre in just about all facets of the offensive game, is a poor rebounder for his size, but plays good defense.

He is a role playing big man in my books, a decent starting center but not great. And I am not seeing all that much upside.

From Indy, I would want Sabonis. You can coach up his defense and which would make him an much better overall player as compared to Myles Turner.

Also, the guy just turtled up on us in the playoffs and had a terrible series. Our guys made him look real bad this postseason. I prefer players that seem to come up big in big moments. Not a turtle fan.

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2019, 03:01:48 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
I must not being seeing in Turner what some do. I think he is very mediocre in just about all facets of the offensive game, is a poor rebounder for his size, but plays good defense.

He is a role playing big man in my books, a decent starting center but not great. And I am not seeing all that much upside.

From Indy, I would want Sabonis. You can coach up his defense and which would make him an much better overall player as compared to Myles Turner.

Also, the guy just turtled up on us in the playoffs and had a terrible series. Our guys made him look real bad this postseason. I prefer players that seem to come up big in big moments. Not a turtle fan.

So would you trade Smart for Sabonis?  I am not sure I would do that either.  He didn’t do much better against us, probably less than Turner but maybe he is a better prospect?  I don’t really know.  If he is a lot better than Turner why isn’t he getting more minutes there? 

Why did he only start 5 games this year?  Not trying to be contrary I just don’t know.  I will give it to Sabonis that he was efficient in the regular season.  Sabonis - 14 / 9 on 25 min a game shooting 59% seems like a Brad Stevens player.

« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2019, 03:17:17 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
I would love us to take a swing at a young reclamation project, if we are looking to move picks. Bender, Chriss, Dunn, Fultz, are all names I would be interested in

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2019, 05:52:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would love us to take a swing at a young reclamation project, if we are looking to move picks. Bender,

Bender?   That is more like raising the titanic than a  reclamation project.   Pass, why do guys think a bust will suddenly not be a bust for us?

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2019, 05:56:39 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Myles Turner is like Serge Ibaka to me. It is their complete lack of passing ability than holds back their offensive games. Both guys are black holes. Neither guy is good enough at creating their own offensive opportunities so they become one dimensional offensive threats as spot up shooters from outside.

Both guys have good jump-shooting numbers but their limitations as passers and shot-creators mean they actually add little value to their team's offenses.

For this reason, I do not see Turner as a future star. More as a high end role player. Like Marcus Smart is.

That is a trade I would happily make by the way. No way Indiana would though. A high end two way 6-11 role player is much harder to get than a two way 6-3 role player.

Edit: It his lack of passing and shot creation why Turner also disappears in offense often. He is only adding to his team (offensively) when he is making outside jump-shots. If those shots are not falling, he is bringing nothing to the table. Again, like Serge Ibaka.

It is all about improving that passing to make Turner a more consistent contributor offensively and less prone to disappearing acts.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 06:01:45 AM by Who »

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2019, 06:09:31 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Is Myles Turner available, I didn’t read that in the OP??
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby