Author Topic: Is Shaq a problem in Cleveland?  (Read 27904 times)

Re: Is Shaq a problem in Cleveland?
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2009, 04:41:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Just because you don't like all the ball handling he does, doesn't make it ineffective. Nor does LeBron have a great surrounding cast in my opinion, he has a bunch of role players.

Can you imagine Ray Allen or Pierce on the Cavs? *shudder*

It was pretty ineffective last night and every other playoffs he's ever been in

He's taking a team to the finals, missed another ECF only by virtue of one of the best game seven performances by a Celtics player, and been to the ECF and been huge in multiply playoff games in five years in the league...how has he been ineffective?

Last time I checked losing is ineffective. What next? The Buffalo Bills of the 90s are an example of excellence? The Jason Kidd early 90s Nets were really good?

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2009, 04:42:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Just because you don't like all the ball handling he does, doesn't make it ineffective. Nor does LeBron have a great surrounding cast in my opinion, he has a bunch of role players.

LeBron has won more playoff series in his first 6 years than the Big 3 combined, or Jordan, did.  If that's ineffective, what is effective?  Bill Russell and no one else?

And now we come back to Tim Duncan.

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2009, 04:45:03 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

He's taking a team to the finals, missed another ECF only by virtue of one of the best game seven performances by a Celtics player, and been to the ECF and been huge in multiply playoff games in five years in the league...how has he been ineffective?

Last time I checked losing is ineffective. What next? The Buffalo Bills of the 90s are an example of excellence? The Jason Kidd early 90s Nets were really good?
Off topic and a tangent, but did anyone else see the Dallas loss to the Wiz last night and think, "Man, I'm so happy that Kidd will never win a championship while Paul Pierce may win multiple"?   ;D

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2009, 04:46:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Pierce with Shaq? I kinda think that would be awesome. I don't think anyone would want to drive on that and the Cavs would win every rebound.

I don't think Ray would be incompatible with Shaq. I think Shaq would enjoy someone stretching the floor for him.

I don't think Duncan had a great surrounding cast at any point.

I don't think Hakeem had one either. He had an old Drexler for his 2nd ring.

Tim Duncan did not have a great surrounding cast at any point? Manu, Parker, Bowen, Robinson, Stephen Jackson (before he was crazy), Horry (same for Hakeem) disagree

I agree Hakeem had a worse supporting cast, but they were servicable. Kenny and Steve made their shots. Horry helped too.

TP, i was going to post on that. To say tim duncan has never had a great supporting cast is absolute lunacy.

Speaking of just inserting KG into any sentence if you insert KG in there you don't get a championship

Tony Parker was never a top 4 pg. Manu was never a top 4 sg. They were briefly all-stars.  He had some role players around him, just like......Lebron. Only he got 4 rings. And this despite Lebron being the best player in the NBA "by a wide margin".  

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2009, 04:46:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Off topic and a tangent, but did anyone else see the Dallas loss to the Wiz last night and think, "Man, I'm so happy that Kidd will never win a championship while Paul Pierce may win multiple"?   ;D

Well no, but TP anyway

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2009, 04:47:24 PM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%

Jason Kidd was never on the nets in the early 90's.

That 03 team was good though.
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2009, 04:54:12 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!

CB...bringing weird subjects together.   ;)

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2009, 04:56:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
A couple things about the Cavs and Shaq.

Shaq is not the problem, the power forwards on that team are. For all the money the Cavs sunk into Sideshow Bob, they really would have been better off sinking $5 million a year into Big Baby. Davis with his outside jumper and excellent foot agility and ability to clog the lane defensively is the exact type PF they need that was on the market. Can you imagine trying to get in the lane on penetration with Shaq, Baby and LeBron in the frontcourt? AV has no offensive game, a lucky outside shot, and doesn't have the skills to guard the athletic PFs outside.

Second, LeBron and his very Michael Jordanesque attitude on the court of telling his team mates what to do and constantly demanding the ball, might be Cleveland's biggest problem. He needs a real PG and he needs to trust someone else to make offense for him and stop trying to do it all himself. I can't wait for him to start yelling at Shaq, clapping his hands, screaming for the ball on the outlet pass when Shaq is about to hand it off/pass it to the PG. That's going to go over well, don't you think?

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2009, 04:58:37 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be

Jason Kidd was never on the nets in the early 90's.

That 03 team was good though.

They also came at a time when the balance of power was clearly in the Western Conference and the Nets were just the best of a medicore bunch in the East.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2009, 04:59:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'm not "hating" on Bron. I like him. I think he's very good. If I'd had the top pick in my fantasy league I'd have taken him.

But thinking a player is overrated or can't be a champion any time soon and won't be isn't the same as "hating".  

I do "hating" on Kobe (I wouldn't pick him with my 14th rounder, but someday I'll probably take him), but recognize he is awesome. I like Lebron and refuse to recognize him as the best player in the NBA "by a wide margin" or any margin, really
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 05:06:15 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2009, 05:12:33 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm not "hating" on Bron. I like him. I think he's very good. If I'd had the top pick in my fantasy league I'd have taken him.

But thinking a player is overrated or can't be a champion any time soon and won't be isn't the same as "hating".  

I do "hating" on Kobe (I wouldn't pick him with my 14th rounder, but someday I'll probably take him), but recognize he is awesome. I like Lebron and refuse to recognize him as the best player in the NBA "by a wide margin" or any margin, really
Who is the best player in the NBA?

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2009, 05:14:46 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Who is the best player in the NBA?

At this very moment? I'd have to go with either Kobe or KG if healthy (which he presently isn't). 

Over the last 10 years? Duncan.

« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2009, 05:38:50 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Shaq looked AWESOME last night!!!!!!!!!

For about the first four minutes, then he ran out of gas!!! HAHAHA the old fat out of shape has been!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2009, 06:08:57 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!

For about the first four minutes, then he ran out of gas!!! HAHAHA the old fat out of shape has been!

Shaq thinks he can, Shaq thinks he can, Shaq thinks he can...chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga SHEED THREE! chugga chugga chugga chugga SHEED THREE!

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2009, 06:18:33 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102

Shaq thinks he can, Shaq thinks he can, Shaq thinks he can...chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga SHEED THREE! chugga chugga chugga chugga SHEED THREE!

LOL TP!
He couldn't even keep up with Perk!!!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15