Author Topic: Should we have traded for Kawhi?  (Read 2295 times)

Should we have traded for Kawhi?
« on: November 06, 2018, 12:59:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Assume San Antonio would have taken Jaylen, Morris, Rozier, Yabu and a non-premium pick for Kawhi.

In hindsight, do you do that deal?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Should we have traded for Kawhi?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 01:06:04 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I think we won't know the answer until the offseason. If Kawhi bolts for LA, I'm glad we didn't, if he resigns, was a probably a mistake.

Danny may be in Anthony Davis only trade mode.

Right now, for me, it's a push. I think the Celtics will end up getting a lot better by the playoffs and eventually will be better than Toronto, but Kawhi has looked great.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 01:09:58 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I’d vote no assuming they didn’t have a good idea if he’d stay

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 01:24:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
without some assurance Kawhi stays after this year, I'd still be a No.  If he said he's here for the long haul, the deal probably would have been done.

Kawhi doesn't solve Hayward's issues and doesn't necessarily change the chemistry issues.  We're also thinner on the bench and Morris has been big for us this year. 

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 01:36:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
For that package, I would have done it without question as Brown is the only guy in that trade that is likely here next year anyway and the team really doesn't need another late 1st.  Boston not only puts out a team that is capable of winning the title this year, but it also would have eliminated all Eastern teams from having a real shot.  Now, Toronto looks like it might be the best team in the conference because of Leonard and Philly or Milwaukee would have been as well had they acquired Leonard as well and even without Leonard Milwaukee and Philly aren't that much worse than Boston such that a key injury and they might beat Boston, which says nothing of Toronto.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 01:56:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Assume San Antonio would have taken Jaylen, Morris, Rozier, Yabu and a non-premium pick for Kawhi.

How confident are we that Leonard is healthy right now? He is only played in 7 of 11 games so far.

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 02:00:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
For that package, I would have done it without question as Brown is the only guy in that trade that is likely here next year anyway and the team really doesn't need another late 1st.  Boston not only puts out a team that is capable of winning the title this year, but it also would have eliminated all Eastern teams from having a real shot.  Now, Toronto looks like it might be the best team in the conference because of Leonard and Philly or Milwaukee would have been as well had they acquired Leonard as well and even without Leonard Milwaukee and Philly aren't that much worse than Boston such that a key injury and they might beat Boston, which says nothing of Toronto.

Got to disagree with this part vehemently. As much as our season has been off to a disappointing start, Philly is very far away from us right now. 8 of their 11 games have been against lottery teams from a year ago and they are 6-5 (including eeking out wins against Orlando and Charlotte at home. They have also been run off the floor in their games against Boston, Toronto and Bucks so far losing by a combined 50 points. If we were to be honest about it, Indiana has actually been head and shoulders above the 76ers so far.

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 02:00:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

How confident are we that Leonard is healthy right now? He is only played in 7 of 11 games so far.
makes no real difference if he is banged up in October and November.

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 02:06:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Got to disagree with this part vehemently. As much as our season has been off to a disappointing start, Philly is very far away from us right now. 8 of their 11 games have been against lottery teams from a year ago and they are 6-5 (including eeking out wins against Orlando and Charlotte at home. They have also been run off the floor in their games against Boston, Toronto and Bucks so far losing by a combined 50 points. If we were to be honest about it, Indiana has actually been head and shoulders above the 76ers so far.
The C's lost to Orlando and eeked a win against the Knicks.  Milwaukee, Philly, and OKC are the only C wins against teams that are .500 or better this year.  Let's not pretend Boston is exactly killing it this year.  Boston isn't and has generally been pretty bad.  1 key injury (let's say Horford goes down as an example) and the Sixers could absolutely beat Boston in a series. 

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 02:15:00 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Kawhi is one of my favorite players so I say hell yes. Leaves us a little short on the bench and we'd have 3 big wings on the court at the same time. Nice problem to have though. No way Kawhi could be re-signed along with Kyrie. DA would have to do some other maneuverings.

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 02:16:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

The C's lost to Orlando and eeked a win against the Knicks.  Milwaukee, Philly, and OKC are the only C wins against teams that are .500 or better this year.  Let's not pretend Boston is exactly killing it this year.  Boston isn't and has generally been pretty bad.  1 key injury (let's say Horford goes down as an example) and the Sixers could absolutely beat Boston in a series.

You can say an injury to an all-star can alter the balance of just about an series between two teams. If Harden was injured for example, just about every west playoff team would beat them. Philly has been awful so far and simmons seemed to have regressed. We blew them out the only game we played them. They are not good. I, and most fans, are more worried about Bucks, Pacers, Raptors who are a level above Philly.

i'll also add that Saric has been one of the worst players receiving starters minutes in the NBA this year.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 02:42:49 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 03:00:04 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

You can say an injury to an all-star can alter the balance of just about an series between two teams. If Harden was injured for example, just about every west playoff team would beat them. Philly has been awful so far and simmons seemed to have regressed. We blew them out the only game we played them. They are not good. I, and most fans, are more worried about Bucks, Pacers, Raptors who are a level above Philly.

i'll also add that Saric has been one of the worst players receiving starters minutes in the NBA this year.

Well said. TP.

Philadelphia needs to add an All Star before we have to take them seriously.

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 03:21:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Um, that is what I said, it is literally right after the bolded part.  It is not my fault you stopped reading.

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 03:57:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Um, that is what I said, it is literally right after the bolded part.  It is not my fault you stopped reading.

Respectfully Moranis, this is not accurate. You implied the Bucks were at the same level as Philadelphia in stating "Milwaukee and Philly aren't that much worse than Boston."

The Bucks are much much better than the 76ers right now and mopped the floor with them.
If you intended to say that the Bucks are actually a lot better than the 76ers like I am stating, than you wrote it quite poorly and should clarify that for the other posters.

Personally this is the order of teams I am worried about for Boston right now:
1) Toronto
2) Bucks
3) Pacers

Big Gap
Grouping of teams that could be good with a move in no particular order... Miami (with butler), Detroit, Wizards (with a move of beal or porter) and Philly.

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 04:02:15 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
For a one year rental, no
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin