Author Topic: Teenager beaten to death at I promise school  (Read 2864 times)

Teenager beaten to death at I promise school
« on: July 06, 2022, 03:10:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1328
Although I am a bit scared of this becoming an ugly conversation just saw this news story: https://nypost.com/2022/06/19/ethan-liming-murder-911-call-released-in-fatal-beating-of-ohio-teen/amp/

Iíll admit Iím pretty liberal overall and this is probably being used as a conservative talking point, but even I admit Iím a bit surprised this wasnít bigger news. Student beaten to death over a water gun
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 04:18:54 PM by celticsclay »

Re: Man beaten to death at I promise school
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 03:33:32 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1630
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
For reference, here is a picture of the Splatrball gun that the lawyer is claiming looked like a fully automatic firearm. I think it's pretty clear what happened here and unfortunately it is a terrible tragedy. I don't think these 3 boys necessarily wanted to kill Liming, but they should absolutely be held accountable for what they've done.

Re: Man beaten to death at I promise school
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 03:39:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• K.C. Jones
For reference, here is a picture of the Splatrball gun that the lawyer is claiming looked like a fully automatic firearm. I think it's pretty clear what happened here and unfortunately it is a terrible tragedy. I don't think these 3 boys necessarily wanted to kill Liming, but they should absolutely be held accountable for what they've done.

It was hard to really fully understand what happened here, because this has of course become political, but it seems like it may have not even been the kid that fired this crazy looking water gun at the kids. Iím also a little confused how water can feel like a bullet, but will admit this wasnít something that was around when I was a kid/teenager. It does sound like a particularly viscious beating where his skull/neck was broken and there was a foot imprint on the bones of his chest. His car and phone were also apparently taken away as he was dying by the people that beat him (that makes the ďnot intending to kill himĒ argument a bit harder imo).

Also for full clarity I found out about this because I was researching the Walker death in Akron which I thought sounded pretty horrible from surface reports and was not getting enough coverage (although it is now a bit murkier))

Re: Teenager beaten to death at I promise school
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 05:07:01 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 342
Sorry. Iím not understanding the political aspect of this. Iím probably a bit dense. It just seems like the defense attorney is grasping for straws after his clients got upset that someone shot them with a water gun so they beat him up Ö badly.

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 05:07:48 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1630
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I guess I'm not sure why this is political. I have not looked at anything to do with this story (outside of what you posted) and it looks to me like three delinquent kids beat the crap out of another kid and killed him for no real reason. I think it goes without saying that you don't deserve to die just because you shoot somebody with a water gun. With these being 3 young black men killing a white kid, I can't imagine there will be much leniency...and there shouldn't be, but it should go both ways.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 05:26:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -26028
  • Once A CrotoNat, Always A CrotoNat
Whoever shot the thugs with the water gun shouldnít have done so.  Itís stupid and itís potentially dangerous; this wasnít a squirt gun.

That doesnít justify the thugs savagely beating somebody to death while stealing their phone and car.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHERóóó AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 05:45:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• K.C. Jones
I guess I'm not sure why this is political. I have not looked at anything to do with this story (outside of what you posted) and it looks to me like three delinquent kids beat the crap out of another kid and killed him for no real reason. I think it goes without saying that you don't deserve to die just because you shoot somebody with a water gun. With these being 3 young black men killing a white kid, I can't imagine there will be much leniency...and there shouldn't be, but it should go both ways.

Well, the quick answer is everything is political. The longer answer is that from what I could discover about this story the white teenager killed wasnít even the one with the water/pellet gun. He had two black friends with him. A fight broke out and his two black friends had minor injuries while he continued to have his head stomped in long after he was unconscious. His car and phone were reportedly moved by the attackers so he couldnít be driven to medical attention or have his friends call for help. This gives people wanting to see it this way some optics to call it a hate crime.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 05:55:28 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 05:46:00 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 206
My dyslexic mind first read it "Teenager beaten to death at school as I promised." I got extremely nervous for a second, Celticsclay.
Theis Is King

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 05:46:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• K.C. Jones
Sorry. Iím not understanding the political aspect of this. Iím probably a bit dense. It just seems like the defense attorney is grasping for straws after his clients got upset that someone shot them with a water gun so they beat him up Ö badly.
Well they didnít beat him up badlyÖ they murdered him. Stomped his skull in after he was unconscious. Itís pretty high on the scale of savage beatings I have read about in media.

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 05:49:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -26028
  • Once A CrotoNat, Always A CrotoNat
This gives people wanting to see it this way some optics to call it a hate crime.

Is that unreasonable?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHERóóó AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 05:52:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• K.C. Jones
This gives people wanting to see it this way some optics to call it a hate crime.

Is that unreasonable?

I was trying to avoid giving my opinion, but if I am asking the same of you I guess I will say it doesnít seem completely unreasonable. And I donít agree with the take/narrative in general that media is only covering police killing people right now but do think the media coverage of this was confusing low based on what actually happened here.

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 07:48:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• K.C. Jones
My dyslexic mind first read it "Teenager beaten to death at school as I promised." I got extremely nervous for a second, Celticsclay.

Jeez

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 08:08:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Ugly stuff.

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 09:54:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 1382
Well they didnít beat him up badlyÖ they murdered him. Stomped his skull in after he was unconscious. Itís pretty high on the scale of savage beatings I have read about in media.
I have never seen that reported anywhere. 
I was finally wrong. Boston not only didn't win in 5, but didn't win at all.

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2022, 10:32:36 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 511
So this happened a month ago? I never heard about it until today. Iíd have thought it would have been a bigger story since it happened in the parking lot of Lebronís ďI Promise school.Ē Definitely wasnít mentioned on ESPN. Other than the NY post article, all the other reports on this story seem to be from small news outlets. It seems that the race of a victim determines how much attention a story gets from the media, which is sad.