Author Topic: 2019 Acadamy Awards  (Read 8400 times)

Re: 2019 Acadamy Awards
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 06:39:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Bohemium Rhapsody being nominated for best picture is even more ridiculous than black panther.  The movie was widely critically panned. A 49 out of 100 on metacritic.  Many films more deserving.

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 06:59:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I think a movie that is able to speak to a cultural or political moment in a significant way and is able to do so without preaching, is better than a movie of equal quality that has nothing to say.

The thing is, pretty much any movie worthy of Oscar consideration is trying to say something.

Black Panther was a good Marvel movie.  I actually enjoyed Thor: Ragnarok a lot more.  I felt Thor was a more entertaining and amusing super hero movie.  Black Panther obviously dealt with much weightier themes.

But I guess I would say that as a "message" movie, Black Panther was just so-so.  I agree with you that it had raised some difficult and timely concepts.  I'm not sure it really dealt with them in an especially in-depth or profound manner.

What made it remarkable is that it was a huge-budget global blockbuster that was also a decent "message" movie and stands as a milestone for representation in the superhero genre.

There are better superhero movies than Black Panther, some of which have come out in the last few years, but none that also had the same sociopolitical significance.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 07:11:57 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Remi Malak getting a nomination was so predictable. The Academy just love actors in biopic roles. Thought he was good but not Academy Awards good.
Felt like it was a weak year for Best Actor noms, kinda like 2015.

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 07:14:31 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Really enjoyed Green Book.

Thought both Viggo & Mahershala were awesome in it.  Nice to see the two of them gets nods.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 09:24:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Surprised to see black panther nominated for best picture.  I certainly liked it, but honestly if we are nominating movies for best picture just based on likability they should have nominated Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse.   It was my favorite movie of the year and was extremely creative artistically.  My 2nd favorite of the year was “Eighth Grade” fwiw, but it doesn’t look like it was nominated for anything.

Spider-Verse got a Best Animated Feature nomination and has a shot at winning it.

I thought Eight Grade had a chance at Screenplay but it didn't get that. I still haven't seen it but I'd like to soon.

As for Black Panther, I think it deserved its nomination. There are precedents for big crowd pleasers to get a BP nomination. Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders, Beauty and the Beast. Black Panther deals with weightier subjects than any of those movies. It's interesting to hear Coogler talk about Panther as being a movie about a politician. The action is all very slick but the story and themes run a lot deeper than I realized the first time I watched it.
Black Panther is greatly overrated.  It is a good movie, but it isn't nearly as good as has been made out.  I do think it being about a black superhero with a mostly black cast has elevated the movie more than it should have been.  I mean Thor: Ragnarok (which I know was 2017) was a much better super hero movie on the whole, and also dealt with pretty weighty subjects/topics.  I do love Killmonger though.  Great villain, maybe the best villain in all of the Marvel movies (even better than Thanos).

I also really liked Ragnarok but you're going to have to remind me about what weighty issues it tackled.

Black Panther's central conflict about the responsibilities of a prosperous nation to those being oppressed around the world is not just timely but it's a real, deep conflict and one that, I think, was dealt with very intelligently. You have a protagonist who is on one side of the issue while his love interest and the antagonist are on the opposite side. It takes a messy issue and dissects it without talking down or being didactic.

I got a lot more out of it on second viewing. Not just the slickness of Coogler's direction, which was impressive in and of itself but the writing felt a lot stronger the more I thought about that conflict, how it was handled, and how well integrated it was into a big hollywood special effects-fest.

EDIT: And while I tend to feel more strongly about smaller movies, I think celebrating how difficult making something like that is when its done well. I felt the same way about Mad Max a couple years ago.
forced slavery, rebellion against leadership, making the decision to intentionally destroy a planet to stop evil, plus all the other usual issues regarding family, honor, and death whenever Thor and Loki are around (with the added twist of their sister).  It was more fun overall, but there was some really heavy stuff in that movie when you think about it.  Heck I particularly enjoyed the Hulk/Banner inner struggle.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 01:31:27 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I gather I might be the only one who cares but the show is Sunday so I'm going to give some predictions:

BP:
Roma

BD:
Alfonso Cuaron

AS:
BlacKkKlansman

The Favourite

BA:
Glenn Close

Christian Bale

BSA:
Regina King

Mahershala Ali
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 01:39:46 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
It's been a horrible couple of years for the Academy. There hasn't been a really good movie in years. Such an embarrassment for Hollywood producers since they charge a ton to view their shetty products.
Shame!

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 02:47:42 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I gather I might be the only one who cares but the show is Sunday so I'm going to give some predictions:

BP:
Roma

BD:
Alfonso Cuaron

AS:
BlacKkKlansman

The Favourite

BA:
Glenn Close

Christian Bale

BSA:
Regina King

Mahershala Ali

Bradley Cooper not getting nominated for best director is just stupid. I'm growing more and more frustrated with the Academy.

As far as Best Picture,  I wonder if they will blackball Roma and Netflix.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 03:54:02 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
Bradley Cooper not getting nominated for best director is just stupid. I'm growing more and more frustrated with the Academy.

As far as Best Picture,  I wonder if they will blackball Roma and Netflix.

That's the worry. But from the rest of the movies, I don't know what could beat it. A Star Is Born is the only other movie I can kind of talk myself into winning but would they give a movie BP without nominating its director? It happened with Argo and Ben Affleck but I feel like everyone saw that and thought it was so weird, would they do it again?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 04:43:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

BP:
Roma

BD:
Alfonso Cuaron

AS:
BlacKkKlansman

The Favourite

BA:
Glenn Close

Christian Bale

BSA:
Regina King

Mahershala Ali

I think Spike Lee wins best director award.

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 05:01:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

BP:
Roma

BD:
Alfonso Cuaron

AS:
BlacKkKlansman

The Favourite

BA:
Glenn Close

Christian Bale

BSA:
Regina King

Mahershala Ali
I hated myself for finding Roma insufferably boring. Beautifully shot film and I realize it’s being hailed as a masterpiece, but the movie gave me an existential crisis that made me question my love of film.  I really struggled to get into it and then just spent the second half on my phone mad at myself trying to google other people online who hated it.  I do wonder if I would have had a different experience had I seen that one in the theater. 

Love the director, though.

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2019, 06:17:55 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

BP:
Roma

BD:
Alfonso Cuaron

AS:
BlacKkKlansman

The Favourite

BA:
Glenn Close

Christian Bale

BSA:
Regina King

Mahershala Ali

I really wanted to like Blackkklansman but the 3rd act became incredibly preachy and made me not really care for it.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 06:43:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

BP:
Roma

BD:
Alfonso Cuaron

AS:
BlacKkKlansman

The Favourite

BA:
Glenn Close

Christian Bale

BSA:
Regina King

Mahershala Ali

I really wanted to like Blackkklansman but the 3rd act became incredibly preachy and made me not really care for it.
I think it's funny it's nominated for best editing when it was actually pretty hacky.  The editing was all over the place. 

Overall, I thought it was ok.  The tone shifts were a problem.  The ending was pretty ridiculous.  Spike might win for best director as an honorary award.

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2019, 08:00:14 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

BP:
Roma

BD:
Alfonso Cuaron

AS:
BlacKkKlansman

The Favourite

BA:
Glenn Close

Christian Bale

BSA:
Regina King

Mahershala Ali

I think it's funny it's nominated for best editing when it was actually pretty hacky.  The editing was all over the place. 

Overall, I thought it was ok.  The tone shifts were a problem.  The ending was pretty ridiculous.  Spike might win for best director as an honorary award.

Honorary, I can agree with that.

Larry Bird

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2019, 10:55:35 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

BP:
Roma

BD:
Alfonso Cuaron

AS:
BlacKkKlansman

The Favourite

BA:
Glenn Close

Christian Bale

BSA:
Regina King

Mahershala Ali

Honorary, I can agree with that.

Which is funny because he just recently got a literal honorary Oscar. Lee co-wrote the screenplay so if it wins Adapted screenplay like I think it will, he'll get an award.

Ridiculous this is his first best director nomination, though.