Author Topic: 2008 CB Draft, Best Picks by Round  (Read 20192 times)

Re: 2008 CB Draft, Best Picks by Round
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2009, 03:31:31 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The way I see a salary cap working is that each pick is assigned a monetary value..ie the first pick of the draft is paid the most, the last pick the least. We couldn't use existing salaries.
I think we could use existing salaries and use the existing soft cap, or we could have a hard cap that could be bumped up from the real cap. Also we could have each team keeping track of their own cap and then having to be under the cap before rosters are submitted when this is all done. At which time the mods will double check the salary numbers.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2009, 03:34:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The way I see a salary cap working is that each pick is assigned a monetary value..ie the first pick of the draft is paid the most, the last pick the least. We couldn't use existing salaries.
I think we could use existing salaries and use the existing soft cap, or we could have a hard cap that could be bumped up from the real cap. Also we could have each team keeping track of their own cap and then having to be under the cap before rosters are submitted when this is all done. At which time the mods will double check the salary numbers.

I think that would be way harder to use existing salaries.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2009, 03:35:52 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

It'll be a logistical nightmare for whoever runs it.

I like the concept, though and a valuation system was something I was considering for this year. 

Oh my god it would be terrible. You'd need someone constantly updating a spreadsheet

Hence, why I dropped it.

The simplest, simplest, simplest thing to do would be to allot each player a $1 salary.  The following season if you choose to keep a player his salary would increase by a dollar.  You would then assign a salary cap - say $16 for a 15 man roster.  2nd year you could keep 8 players (or make the cap lower if you like fewer players)...If we did this for several seasons you'd end up having to make some tough decision on your superstars and younger players would have some legit value value because they'd come on the cheap.  The key to this system would be patience.  It would get better the longer we stuck with it.

That's the simplest of many possibilities. 

That one might be fairly manageable.

Nonetheless, it's a bunch more work, and people seem plenty happy with the way it is.
Yup

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2009, 03:37:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't like the idea of having keepers in this draft.

I like the fact that people start from scratch every year. Makes every year different and unique. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2009, 03:38:16 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I like the concept, though and a valuation system was something I was considering for this year. 

Oh my god it would be terrible. You'd need someone constantly updating a spreadsheet

Hence, why I dropped it.

The simplest, simplest, simplest thing to do would be to allot each player a $1 salary.  The following season if you choose to keep a player his salary would increase by a dollar.  You would then assign a salary cap - say $16 for a 15 man roster.  2nd year you could keep 8 players (or make the cap lower if you like fewer players)...If we did this for several seasons you'd end up having to make some tough decision on your superstars and younger players would have some legit value value because they'd come on the cheap.  The key to this system would be patience.  It would get better the longer we stuck with it.

Nonetheless, it's a bunch more work, and people seem plenty happy with the way it is.
How would trades work?

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2009, 03:39:07 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
When do we get back to the great and not so great picks?

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2009, 03:39:09 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
sorry, didn't mean to stir the pot

was just `splainin' why I'm just assisting this year
Yup

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2009, 03:46:52 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Hence, why I dropped it.

How would trades work?
both teams would have to end up under the cap.
Yup

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2009, 03:49:35 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Worst pick predictions round 5

Rondo2287: Joe Alexander
KCatthestripe: Bassy Telfair
Bigalthefuture: Steve Francis

You gotta throw in Eddy Curry too. 3 games and 12 minutes!

I don't know about Bassy and Alexander though.  Bassy played decent and Alexander isn't a bad pick for a team building for the future.  But Curry and Francis are definitely wastes of picks.

Eddie Curry was a very usefull trade chip by that time
so i pick him as best available center and paid off...
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2009, 03:54:14 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Hence, why I dropped it.

How would trades work?
No I mean if a player who you've kept for 3 years is traded does he have a cap number of 3 on his new team or does it reset at 1?

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2009, 03:56:12 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
I don't like the idea of having keepers in this draft.

I like the fact that people start from scratch every year. Makes every year different and unique. 

i agree --- though one twist that i've seen in Fantasy leagues is that you can keep a guy for a round (or 2) more expensive than when you picked him the previous year:

I picked Gortat in the 15th round, so to "keep" him I'd have to forfeit my 14th round pick.

every 1st rounder couldn't be kept obviously (making it 2 rounds more "expensive" would mean 1st and 2nd rounders couldn't be.

GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2009, 03:56:32 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I would say for round 5:

Best pick: Russell Westbrook (15pts and 5 assists this season), pick 28 by the grizzlies..this was a good pick because it was so risky. Westbrook was a potential player. No one knew for sure what to expect out of him. Nobody expected 15 points.

Honorable Mention: Nene Hilario, Suns, pick 30 My own personal I told you so, Nene averaged 15 points and 8 boards in his first full year back

Worst pick: Tie
Amir Johnson, pick 12, T-Wolves
Eddy Curry, pick 21, Edgar
Yikes.

This was like the 200 NBA Draft. There were almost no right answers in this round. This is strange, considering that this was where you were supposed to find your 5th starter

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2009, 04:01:46 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Hence, why I dropped it.

How would trades work?
No I mean if a player who you've kept for 3 years is traded does he have a cap number of 3 on his new team or does it reset at 1?

salary would have to remain the same until a player re-enters the draft
Yup

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2009, 04:16:26 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
That was great drafting.

Did someone say "Great Drafting?"

Round 1

Best Pick: Champkind (10) Dwayne Wade. I almost skipped the 1st round because of the gulf between choosing 1-5 and 25-30. But I feel secure in giving the nod to Champ, who took Wade when his value was at it's lowest, and was reward with an MVP worthy campaign.

Honorable Mention: IndeedProceed (30) Brandon Roy and Celticmaestro (24) Kevin Durant. By the way, Maestro, thanks for leaving me in the lurch with a last minute trade inspired by the hours of controversy surrounding the 1st pick. Scrambling, I made the selection that may qualify as...

Wort Pick: The Walker Wiggle (25) Gilbert Arenas. Although he did look good in his end of season "exhibition." And I actually think Motrossity is more deserving of this thumbs down for missing TWO selection times and ending up with (20) Tyson Chandler and an off year (22) Baron Davis.

Yes! I thought for sure I'd get worst pick nod for Monta Ellis!

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2009, 04:25:05 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
This was like the 2000 NBA Draft. There were almost no right answers in this round. This is strange, considering that this was where you were supposed to find your 5th starter.

Nicely done IP, and I’m never going to argue too strongly with anyone that wants to applaud one of my choices. But here’s a quick alternate take anyway:

Round 5

Best Pick: The Walker Wiggle (28 ) Russell Westbrook (That’s right!) and Indeed Proceed (30) it’s just Nene now, have already been mentioned. So how about dark horse candidates Donoghus (22) Andrea Bargnani, who if he can make another similar step forward this season, should be worth every dollar of his $10 million per extension. Or Jsaad (26) Troy Murphy another player who had a career best year.

Worst Pick: This round was a minefield, which ought to be apparent by the fact that there were three times as many nominations for Worst Pick as for Honorable Mention. I may be a soft touch but I’m willing to give Eddy Curry (21) Edgar a pass on last season, which means the dishonor goes to Big Al The Future (20) Steve Francis because I’m now under the impression that Stevie is retired but I don’t even know if that’s correct… Still take your choice: Celtics Maestro (2) Rashad McCants, Celtic Maestro again, (14) Darko Milicic, Donoghus (24) Kyle Korver, Scibbles (27) Beno Udrih. The motto of the 5th round? DRAFT AT YOUR OWN RISK.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:34:28 PM by The Walker Wiggle »