Author Topic: 2 Fantasy Football questions needing opinions  (Read 2958 times)

2 Fantasy Football questions needing opinions
« on: November 26, 2008, 12:44:37 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
In a H2H fantasy football league, what should be considered more important: record or total points? (It may sound dumb to some people, but I would just like to hear answers)

In a H2H fantasy football league, who should get more of the payout $: the regular season winner or the playoff winner?

Let me know how your league runs and what your opinions are on the 2 questions.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: 2 Fantasy Football questions needing opinions
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 03:09:24 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
In a H2H fantasy football league, what should be considered more important: record or total points? (It may sound dumb to some people, but I would just like to hear answers)

In a H2H fantasy football league, who should get more of the payout $: the regular season winner or the playoff winner?

Let me know how your league runs and what your opinions are on the 2 questions.

Well, because the name of the game is head-to-head, I think record should be more important (points as tie-breaker).

Likewise, the playoff winner should get more of the payout money, in my opinion. A consolation/small consideration to the regular season winner might be nice, I suppose.

BTW, I've played in several leagues where DFL gets a ham sandwich (or money back). Surprisingly, this did not engender tanking.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 03:35:22 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
The definition of a H2H league is a league where the teams matchup and play each other every week, and the playoff standings are set according to the teams' records at the end of the regular season. In other words, why would teams play each other to see who wins every week if total points are the only thing that matter? As for the payout money, the league champion is the team that wins the playoffs. Just like in any sport, the regular season should have nothing to do with the payout money. It's your decision exactly how to split the payout money, but it should probably be split one of these two ways:

- winner of playoff bracket gets most $, runner up gets second most $, 3rd place gets his $ back

or

- winner of playoff bracket gets most $, runner up gets second most $ (and no one else gets anything)

May I ask what website (assuming you use one) you use for your league? If you play on a common site like yahoo or nfl.com, then the whole record vs. total points thing would have been sorted out automatically a long time ago.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 04:17:31 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
We play a H2H league on Yahoo.  I'm tied for first place record wise, 2nd in overall points and trailing the 1st place guy by like 100 points.  I talked some trash to the guy in first threatening his chance of winning the league and got bombarded with emails saying that I have no chance of overtaking him because the "regular season winner" is the team with the most total points, not the best record.  So, literally, the front page could say I'm in first place, but not win the reg. season championship.  These guys have played fantasy sports for a while, so I started making the case that this isn't even a H2H league then, its really roto.  But the commish argues that its H2H because the H2H record determines playoff seeding.

I've been in this league for 3 years and it was always best record the 2 years prior (regular H2H), but for some reason the rule was changed this year, on draft day, before I arrived at the draft.  I made a little fuss about it, but not too much, but just wanted to see where everybody else stood on the issue.

Please keep posting your takes.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 04:34:25 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
We play a H2H league on Yahoo.  I'm tied for first place record wise, 2nd in overall points and trailing the 1st place guy by like 100 points.  I talked some trash to the guy in first threatening his chance of winning the league and got bombarded with emails saying that I have no chance of overtaking him because the "regular season winner" is the team with the most total points, not the best record.  So, literally, the front page could say I'm in first place, but not win the reg. season championship.  These guys have played fantasy sports for a while, so I started making the case that this isn't even a H2H league then, its really roto.  But the commish argues that its H2H because the H2H record determines playoff seeding.

I've been in this league for 3 years and it was always best record the 2 years prior (regular H2H), but for some reason the rule was changed this year, on draft day, before I arrived at the draft.  I made a little fuss about it, but not too much, but just wanted to see where everybody else stood on the issue.

Please keep posting your takes.

I don't get it. Record determines playoff seedings, but they claim that the regular season winner is the champ? Why have playoffs then?

BTW, isn't this the last week of the season? You win, the other guy loses, and you're alone in 1st, right?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 05:32:41 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
I don't know about this "regular season winner" business - give the "regular season winner" your congratulations on having the most points, and then kindly explain to him that his point total means nothing, and that because you have the best record you are in fact the regular season winner. That's what a head to head league is. It's about your record.

So how are they spliting up the money in your league, anyway?

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!