Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 433226 times)

Atzar, Lioney and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

2024 NBA Season and Playoffs
« on: October 05, 2023, 05:49:24 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1437
And we are off! Well, sort of… First preseason game is in the books. Mavs lose to the T-Wolves, 99-111. Our old friend Grant Williams made his debut and started for Dallas. He chipped in 6pts/2rebs in just 16 minutes of play.  2-7 from 3pt.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 03:07:35 PM by Roy H. »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: NBA Season 2023-24
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 01:34:58 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Part 2 of Mavs vs Wolves is looking pretty similar to the first. Dallas doesn’t look very good at all.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 02:28:06 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2955
  • On To Banner 18!
Dallas' biggest problem last year IMO was defense, and being able to limit teams down the stretch in the 4th. I personally don't see how they improve much on that this season. G-Will can help, but I don't think he'll move the needle much. Kyrie and Luka are the two stars and both guys are offensive-minded guards who can't play any defense. They are one of those teams that'll rely on outscoring teams to win. Luka and Kyrie can certainly make clutch buckets late, but opponents can typically score on Dallas in the clutch as well.  Not a good recipe

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 02:53:34 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Dallas' biggest problem last year IMO was defense, and being able to limit teams down the stretch in the 4th. I personally don't see how they improve much on that this season. G-Will can help, but I don't think he'll move the needle much. Kyrie and Luka are the two stars and both guys are offensive-minded guards who can't play any defense. They are one of those teams that'll rely on outscoring teams to win. Luka and Kyrie can certainly make clutch buckets late, but opponents can typically score on Dallas in the clutch as well.  Not a good recipe

Completely agree. This is why I’d take Tatum over Doncic. As talented as Luka is, he only seems to care about one end of the court. Hard to be a good defensive team when your best player doesn’t buy in.

Grant’s stat line was pretty similar to last game: 6pts/4rebs in 20 minutes of play. He’s not worth the money they paid him.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 03:19:02 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 05:03:41 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407

Surround those two lads with strong defenders and Dallas is a title contender.

Problem is the supporting cast. Not the star duo.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 07:27:38 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

You can’t be a contender when your two best players don’t play any defense.

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 07:30:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Sounds like a criticism I've heard about Denver
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 07:57:51 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Murray and Jokic are not on the same level as Luka and Kyrie. Those two don’t even try.

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2023, 08:25:09 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Murray and Jokic are not on the same level as Luka and Kyrie. Those two don’t even try.

Luka's problem in part is he's too out of shape to play hard on both ends so he rests on defense. Add to that his lack of athleticism and it's a problem. Kyrie has the tools to be a good defender, he just doesn't care at all for it.

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2023, 10:40:37 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Brandin Podziemski is going to be a fun player to watch…

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2023, 11:06:51 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Webanyama and Holmgren made their preseason debut facing off against each other. OKC won the game 122-121.

Victor played 19 minutes and had 20pts, 5rebs, 2stl, 1blk. Shot 8-13 from the field, 2-5 from 3pt. Did turn the ball over 4 times, though.

Chet played 16 minutes and had 21pts, 9rebs, 1ast, 1blk. Shot 7-10 from the field, 2-2 from 3pt. No turnovers.

Hopefully these two develop a nice rivalry.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 11:22:32 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2023, 12:04:20 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Webanyama and Holmgren made their preseason debut facing off against each other. OKC won the game 122-121.

Victor played 19 minutes and had 20pts, 5rebs, 2stl, 1blk. Shot 8-13 from the field, 2-5 from 3pt. Did turn the ball over 4 times, though.

Chet played 16 minutes and had 21pts, 9rebs, 1ast, 1blk. Shot 7-10 from the field, 2-2 from 3pt. No turnovers.

that would've been fun to watch
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2023, 09:30:31 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

that would've been fun to watch

It was on NBA TV, but I was only able to watch a few minutes. Definitely an intriguing matchup.

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2023, 08:16:18 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Mav’s lose to Real Madrid 123-127…Wow.

Vincent Poirier had 19pts, 10rebs, 6blks. Guerschon Yabuselle added 18pts, 9rebs, 3stls and Facundo Campazzo with 20pts, 8ast, 6rebs.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 09:07:30 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2023, 09:02:09 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
Mav’s lose to Real Madrid 123-127…Wow.

Vincent Poirier had 19pts, 10rebs, 6blks. Guerschon Yabuselle added 18pts, 9rebs, 3stls and Facundo Campasso with 20pts, 8ast, 6rebs.

Gino's not dancing,  but the Bear certainly is.