Author Topic: New “Star Rest” Policy  (Read 1903 times)

New “Star Rest” Policy
« on: September 13, 2023, 01:07:35 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38386013/how-nba-new-rules-resting-stars-work?platform=amp

Hope it works.  I’m sure teams will figure out ways to work the system.
Yup

Re: New “Star Rest” Policy
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 03:06:43 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 418
Oh players will find a way especially LeBron
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 05:07:10 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
This feels like PR spin, since the league is still allowing exceptions. If a team wants to sit a player, what is preventing the team paid doctor from essentially writing a permission slip to miss the game? If a star player has to miss a game due to injury, then he should have to sit out at least 3 games. Let's face it, if a player only misses one game because of an injury, then were they really injured in the first place.

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2023, 05:21:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3189
This feels like PR spin, since the league is still allowing exceptions. If a team wants to sit a player, what is preventing the team paid doctor from essentially writing a permission slip to miss the game? If a star player has to miss a game due to injury, then he should have to sit out at least 3 games. Let's face it, if a player only misses one game because of an injury, then were they really injured in the first place.

Exactly! All NBA players have nagging injuries all year. It would be easy to just write one up. That's what they used to do in the NBA.

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 05:58:30 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I wonder if any team will play a star player just until the first timeout/commercial break, then bench him the rest of the way.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 10:56:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
I wonder if any team will play a star player just until the first timeout/commercial break, then bench him the rest of the way.
They'd get fined big time for that.  Player would have to fake an injury, but no player is going to do that.

As for the rule, how often does this actually happen?  I mean where a team rests multiple players in the same game.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2023, 11:11:40 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
They'd get fined big time for that.  Player would have to fake an injury, but no player is going to do that.

As for the rule, how often does this actually happen?  I mean where a team rests multiple players in the same game.

Maybe, but the rules don't address that type of circumstance. Seems like a loophole that some team might attempt to use.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2023, 11:46:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Oh players will find a way especially LeBron

The league has already created a Lebron exemption. A bunch of older players are included including our own Horford.

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2023, 01:08:20 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2497

Exactly! All NBA players have nagging injuries all year. It would be easy to just write one up. That's what they used to do in the NBA.

Yeah. Just say "my knee is sore," or whatever. Which is probably true anyways.

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2023, 02:51:24 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1245
The idea is good, but I don’t see how they can effectively impose it. Is there a provision for non bearing games? For example, will Boston be forced to play JT or JB on the last game of the regular season even if it’s a no bearing game? Will the NBA have an issue if they both dress and play just one minute each?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 03:01:21 AM by radiohead »

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2023, 08:59:03 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
The idea is good, but I don’t see how they can effectively impose it. Is there a provision for non bearing games? For example, will Boston be forced to play JT or JB on the last game of the regular season even if it’s a no bearing game? Will the NBA have an issue if they both dress and play just one minute each?

That’s what taking the fine for a first-time offense is for, I suppose.

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 09:24:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Remember back in the day, with the "injured list"?  That type of stuff happened all of the time.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2023, 11:53:53 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991

That’s what taking the fine for a first-time offense is for, I suppose.

Replying to myself, but reportedly teams can apply for exception for certain reasons, with “end of season flexibility” being one such reason.  Tatum and Brown missing the regular season finale was cited as an example in the article by Bobby Marks of such a reason.  The NBA doesn’t want the playoffs ruined because a star was forced to play in a meaningless game 82.

As for playing a couple of minutes and sitting, for award criteria a player needs to play in at least 20 minutes of a game for it to count, so I’d expect something similar here.

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2023, 11:54:22 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup

Remember back in the day, with the "injured list"?  That type of stuff happened all of the time.

How long have you had that weak back?

Since about a week back  :angel:
Yup