Author Topic: Is brown our highest rated prospect in the last 20 years?  (Read 1749 times)

Is brown our highest rated prospect in the last 20 years?
« on: September 03, 2016, 09:58:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
He was higher rates than smart or Jeff green coming out of high school. I am having trouble seeing where billups was ranked. Is anyone else under consideration?

Re: Is brown our highest rated prospect in the last 20 years?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 10:15:43 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
How about Joe Johnson?

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 10:48:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I honestly would have to research I didn't think he was as high

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 10:54:49 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
He was higher rates than smart or Jeff green coming out of high school. I am having trouble seeing where billups was ranked. Is anyone else under consideration?

Without question yes.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 10:59:29 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Forgive my late night math, but I thought Pierce and Antoine were pretty highly regarded, though they slipped more than Brown.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 11:00:47 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If we're talking high school, Bradley was a top-2 prospect.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 01:43:15 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

If we're talking high school, Bradley was a top-2 prospect.

Yeah, 2nd that.

If we are talking college, it's a tough call between Smart, Antoine, PP, and him. If you go on LB's interpretation of Chad Ford's tiers, then he probably falls somewhere in between Fab Melo and Colton Iverson.

* I still love you LB!    :P

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 03:50:38 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Sullinger was graded a 98 out of high school and tied for the #1 rated recruit with Harrison Barnes according to ESPN.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 03:53:25 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Smart was higher rated pre-draft than Jaylen.

That's not what you're asking, though.  You're asking which Celtic in the past 20 years was rated highest in high school. 

Brown was the 4th best high school prospect in 2015 with an overall grade of 96 per ESPN:  http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2015/order/true

Technically, Austin Rivers spent 3 days as a Boston Celtic... he was higher rated in high school  (3rd best high school prospect in 2015 with 98 grade per ESPN - http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2011/order/true ).  I'd look for more examples, but it's unnecessary... either way the answer is no.  Brown isn't our highest rated prospect of the past 20 years. 

He is, however, tied with Billups as being our highest draft picks of the past 20 years - so he's got that goin for him.

EDIT:  Just because I know you're predictable and are likely going to be a brat about me using the Austin Rivers technicality, I'll point out that Jared Sullinger was the the #2 ranked high schooler in 2010 with a overall grade of 98 (beating out Brown's #4 rank/96 grade) - http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2010/order/true 

Also Avery Bradley was the #1 high schooler of the 2009 class with a 98 grade per ESPN:  http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2009/order/true

And FWIW, Brown's overall grade of 96 ties with Tyler Zeller in the high school class of 2008:  http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2008/order/true

96 is also the overall grade former Celtic standout JaJuan Johnson got during the high school class of 2007:  http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2007/order/true ... 2007 is as far back as ESPN 100 high school rankings go.

... once again meaning the answer to your question is "no".
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 04:48:39 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 07:39:21 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I think Brown was ranked #2 behind Ben Simmons prior to going to Cal.  It's hard once you throw the international guys in there but in terms of pre-college ranking and pre-draft ranking I think he is  the highest rated.

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 10:59:55 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think leon powe was #2 behind Lebron when lebron entered the draft and powe started college

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2016, 11:11:23 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I think Brown was ranked #2 behind Ben Simmons prior to going to Cal.  It's hard once you throw the international guys in there but in terms of pre-college ranking and pre-draft ranking I think he is  the highest rated.
Brown was ranked second for a while but was eventually passed by Skal and more recently, Ingram (who moved from the teens to #2 in his class).