Author Topic: Jaylen Brown and Darius Miles Comparison  (Read 7620 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown and Darius Miles Comparison
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2016, 01:25:32 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If Brown were on the Sixers he'd be the next Dominique. Funny how a uniform changes how he's viewed.
That's not how scouting works.  They form opinions before the players are drafted - not after.  Brown was labeled a bust before we drafted him.
Dig in those heels old friend. We all believe you. Nobody thinks brown will be good.
i think he will be good.  Im very excited about Jaylen. I'm in the minority, though.  Most think he will be average at most.  Despite the perception of him as a likely bust, myself and a lot of Celtic fans have faith he will defy the expectations.   There's plenty of green Kool aid to go around.  Ignore the consensus - join us.

How good though?  Like how you expected Smart, who was known to be a weak offensive player coming out of college, to average 20/5/5 by his 2nd year?

The more I read your posts, the more I think that you don't watch actual basketball games, and instead just read random information on the internet and interpret generally meaningless traditional stats as accurate forecasts of a player's value.

It's also counterintuitive to assert that Brown was a pre-determined bust by experts and fans alike, seeing as how he was projected by these same people to be a consensus top 8 pick.   
at no point did I ever expect smart to put up 20/5/5.  I was comparing him to tony Allen well before it was fashionable.  The consensus was that he'd be great. I was skeptical.  It's the reverse this time around - consensus is that Jaylen isn't going to be a star. I'm hopeful he will get there anyways. 

Also, I freely admit I don't watch college basketball - which is why I'm more prone to relay what others say about these prospects. 

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2016, 01:32:49 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Much less hype with Jaylen Brown.  Most don't see him as a future star.  Instead of sticking Jaylen on the cover, Sports Illustrated flat out ignores Brown in their rookie splash image in favor of Kris Dunn:

Kinda telling on how folks see Brown right now.  Hopefully he gets there in spite of minimal expectations.

It's telling on how many minutes and shot attempts people think Brown is gonna get on the Celtics.
i think the fact that nobody expects great things out of Brown and many expect him to bust entirely works in his favor.  Pierce probably wouldn't have been as good as he was without the motivation of being picked 10th. Maybe the fact people laughed at the Jaylen pick on Twitter and called it a reach will motivate the kid.  Here's hoping.  Crossing my fingers he defies expectations.

I reject your premise as to "nobody expects great things."  This doesn't accord with what I've read and heard whatsoever.

The take on Brown I've encountered consistently is that he is

- Raw
- Extremely physically gifted
- Eccentric but very smart
- Won't do a lot right away on the Celts
- Has legitimate All-Star potential, but could also be a bust if his shot / handle never become NBA-caliber.

The "no expectations" label you're touting sounds to me more like how people discuss Skal Labissiere.

As often, you resort to "many people are saying" type appeals to the wisdom of the crowd while providing very little in the way of substantive evidence to support your claims. 

You, sir, are the one pushing "hype" in this case, only it's the same kind of "hype" you typically push, which is to say "gloom and doom sensationalism."

There's really no mystery to why we're hearing more about Simmons, Ingram, and Dunn.  Those guys landed on terrible teams and will be playing 30+ mpg pretty much from day 1, with very little restriction on shot selection or role.

Brown, on the other hand, will have to carve out a rotation spot on a team that's got Conference Finals aspirations.  He'll likely see plenty of D-League time this year.

That, to be honest, is the biggest similarity I see to Justise Winslow.  Brown will have to earn his place on a team that's already pretty good.  Jimmy Butler had to do the same thing.

I had my doubts all along about Brown as a draft pick, but I don't agree with your characterization of the general consensus on Brown as a draft selection.  Not at all.

Very well said

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2016, 01:40:01 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
LB, you can be so frustrating. I am happy to see you are standing by your optimism of Brown's future, but there is so much veiled negativity that it is hard to see. I often see your point on your well thought out counter-arguments, but this one isn't working at all. Pho said everything I would have liked to have said.

Just be happy we currently have such fortune as a franchise. It truly is a great time be a Cs fan. And, unlike some others, I believe you truly want what's best for this franchise. You are a really smart guy (and you know it) - no need to argue a point that doesn't have much basis.

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2016, 01:47:23 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I'm not going to invest more time into seeking out pre-draft projections for brown because ultimately it doesn't matter at this point.  We took him 3rd and we are stuck with him for better or for worse.  I hope that he turns into a star.  In spite of everything I've read, I remain optimistic.  I supported the pick from the start because I trust Ainge. I was glad we didn't take a 23 year old.  I'm still very excited about the pick because I'd like to believe the Celtics knew something the media didn't.

I freely admit I don't watch college basketball so my opinion on brown is entirely irrelevant.  I've never made any predictions about him.   I don't actually have an opinion worth sharing about him.

What I do know is that there was considerable chatter about brown being a possible bust before the draft.  What I do know is I read several articles and mocks suggesting he was unlikely to be a star.  What I do know is that many projected him the 8th best player in a 2 player draft.  What I do know is that Celtic fans booed the pick and rival team fans laughed at our expense on Twitter.  What I do know is that a lot of the podcasts I listen to brushed off the pick and focused on Brown's considerable weaknesses.  What I do know is that my bubbletea guy thinks Jaylen brown is going to be a dud. What I do know is the great Chad Ford, who's word comes straight from God when it comes to draft prospects, had him as a tier3/4 prospect.

What I do know is that I watched him in summer league and all the flaws I was warned about were on display and from that small sample size he doesn't look NBA ready at all.  He looked exactly like the player everyone said he was - athletic, can get to the hoop, has nice shot mechanics, but can't finish or make shots.

All that said, I don't care.  He's 19 and has an NBA body. I'm excited to see what he can do.  If it's important to you guys to clear up my misconception of brown's perception, I would truly love for you to share these non-existent articles clay is referencing that called brown a future superstar.  Maybe I missed those.  I would love to have more reasons to be excited about the pick. All my friends who follow the NBA were sending me condolences after the pick... I'd like a reason to believe brown has star potential outside of pure homerism. 

Also, if there is a widely respected draft analyst out there that you think I should follow for now on, please share.  All the mainstream media/mocks I found weren't high on brown at all.  Who should I be paying attention to instead ?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 02:01:57 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2016, 02:28:09 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I'm not going to invest more time into seeking out pre-draft projections for brown because ultimately it doesn't matter at this point.  We took him 3rd and we are stuck with him for better or for worse.  I hope that he turns into a star.  In spite of everything I've read, I remain optimistic.  I supported the pick from the start because I trust Ainge. I was glad we didn't take a 23 year old.  I'm still very excited about the pick because I'd like to believe the Celtics knew something the media didn't.

I freely admit I don't watch college basketball so my opinion on brown is entirely irrelevant.  I've never made any predictions about him.   I don't actually have an opinion worth sharing about him.

What I do know is that there was considerable chatter about brown being a possible bust before the draft.  What I do know is I read several articles and mocks suggesting he was unlikely to be a star.  What I do know is that many projected him the 8th best player in a 2 player draft.  What I do know is that Celtic fans booed the pick and rival team fans laughed at our expense on Twitter.  What I do know is that a lot of the podcasts I listen to brushed off the pick and focused on Brown's considerable weaknesses.  What I do know is that my bubbletea guy thinks Jaylen brown is going to be a dud. What I do know is the great Chad Ford, who's word comes straight from God when it comes to draft prospects, had him as a tier3/4 prospect.

What I do know is that I watched him in summer league and all the flaws I was warned about were on display and from that small sample size he doesn't look NBA ready at all.  He looked exactly like the player everyone said he was - athletic, can get to the hoop, has nice shot mechanics, but can't finish or make shots.

All that said, I don't care.  He's 19 and has an NBA body. I'm excited to see what he can do.  If it's important to you guys to clear up my misconception of brown's perception, I would truly love for you to share these non-existent articles clay is referencing that called brown a future superstar.  Maybe I missed those.  I would love to have more reasons to be excited about the pick. All my friends who follow the NBA were sending me condolences after the pick... I'd like a reason to believe brown has star potential outside of pure homerism. 

Also, if there is a widely respected draft analyst out there that you think I should follow for now on, please share.  All the mainstream media/mocks I found weren't high on brown at all.  Who should I be paying attention to instead ?
phosita

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2016, 03:10:45 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

phosita
Members of this forum aren't going to qualify.  I want you to point me in the direction of a respected draft analyst who was calling Brown a future superstar.

I don't mean that as a knock on Phosita.  He's one of the few members of this forum I feel has worth.  But when Phosita just described Jaylen's credentials, he was essentially describing Anthony Bennett's credentials prior to the 2013 draft:

Raw, physically gifted, good shooting stroke, explosive, will not do a lot right away, but could theoretically have star potential.  That's why Bennett was taken 1st.  Don't confuse experts claim that Brown/Bennett have theoretical star potential with how they described someone like Karl Towns or LeBron.  It's a subtle difference between calling someone a "future star" and saying, "that guy might have star potential if he figures it all out".  Subtle difference, but a significant difference.

Clay, I think you're at the point where you're just going to disagree with anything I say for the sake of disagreeing, but maybe we can get on the same page about something.  I don't have high hopes, but I'll give it a shot...

Do you acknowledge that the 2013 draft was widely seen as weak at the time?   Surely you're not in denial about that. 

My memory of 2013 is that it was widely seen as a crap-shoot at the top.  There were a handful of guys that were expected to go towards the top like Ben McLemore, Oladipo and Alex Len, but they were all widely believed to be lesser prospects than guys like John Wall, Anthony Davis, Blake Griffin, etc who were widely seen as being future stars when they were drafted. 

My memory of 2013 was that Nerlens Noel was widely seen as the top prospect, but that he wasn't expected to go at the top due to his injury.  And even despite being seen as the top prospect, nobody was calling him a "lock" as a future star either. 

Bennett was taken 1st, because he was physically gifted and could possibly have star potential if he put those tools together.  Nobody was calling him a "lock" to be a future star.  He had high boom/bust potential.  He was thought to have the most upside.

I'm not trying to personally upset you when I relay what I've read about the 2016 draft.  Based on what I have read, they presented this draft extremely similarly to the 2013 draft with one caveat - Ben Simmons and to a lesser extent Brandon Ingram were seen as players with legitimate star potential.   Outside of those two players, this draft was consistently presented as "weak".  I read it several times that this was a "down" draft.  Besides Simmons/Ingram, they presented to quality level as being similar to 2013.  The guys from 3-8 were presented in a similar way the top picks in 2013 were presented.  I actually think the perception of Jaylen Brown is about even with the perception of Anthony Bennett before he played a game.  Raw guy who was taken at the top because of some potential he may or may not reach.   It wasn't just Jaylen who was dismissed as not being a future star, it's every single prospect after the top 2 picks this year.

2013, in retrospect, is a much better draft than they gave it credit for at the time.  Hopefully 2016 is the same.  Maybe there are some hidden stars.  Guys like CJ McCollum (10th), Steven Adams (12th), Giannis (15th) and Rudy Gobert (27th) have started to make names for themselves.  Maybe there's some guys in the 10-30 range that will surprise us here.  My hope is that Jaylen Brown doesn't follow Anthony Bennett's path.  Hopefully Brown defies his "potential bust" tag.   Nobody really expected Bennett to become a future allstar and nobody expects it of Brown now.  Both were "swing for the fences" picks with no greater options available.  People acknowledged that Bennett was young and conceivably have star potential if he figured it all out.  That's how they describe Brown now.  Bennett doesn't look like he's ever going to figure it out.  Hopefully Brown does. 

That glimmer of hope of Brown developing into a star is why I'm super excited about him.  I'm not going to pretend like he's widely seen as a future star, though.  He clearly isn't. 

How this relates to Darius Miles is that in 2000 when Miles was drafted, there was plenty of chatter about how he was possibly the next KG.  They stuck him on the cover of Sports Illustrated.  Expectations were much hire for Miles back then.  Maybe seeing enough guys like Miles fail to reach their ceiling is why expectations are lower for a raw prospect like Brown.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 03:43:19 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2016, 03:12:26 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Lol then do everyone a favor and stop wasting your time writing paragraph and paragraph about the guy.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2016, 03:22:06 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Lol then do everyone a favor and stop wasting your time writing paragraph and paragraph about the guy.
Don't get confused... I'm not sharing any personal predictions or critiquing his game.  I'm merely relaying with everyone else has said about the guy.  He isn't widely seen as a future star.  It is what it is.  All the flaws described were on display in Summer League.  I'm excited for the possibilities, but I really have no basis for my excitement beyond the fact Brown is a Celtic, was a high draft pick (I trust Ainge), is young and has physical gifts.  Everything I've read has just suggested he's unlikely to be a significant player long-term. 

If I've never visited Kauai, I still think it's fair to say, "everything I've read suggests it is very hot and rains a lot in Kauai... nonetheless, I'm bringing my ski gear, because I'm hopeful it snows".   

If you can point me in the direction of a respected draft analyst who called Brown a future superstar and/or can recommend a nice ski resort in Kauai, I'd be very glad to read about it. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 03:31:28 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2016, 03:44:35 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Don't get confused... I'm not sharing any personal predictions or critiquing his game.  I'm merely relaying with everyone else has said about the guy.  He isn't widely seen as a future star.  It is what it is.  All the flaws described were on display in Summer League.  I'm excited for the possibilities, but I really have no basis for my excitement beyond the fact Brown is a Celtic, was a high draft pick (I trust Ainge), is young and has physical gifts.  Everything I've read has just suggested he's unlikely to be a significant player long-term. 

If I've never visited Kauai, I still think it's fair to say, "everything I've read suggests it is very hot and rains a lot in Kauai... nonetheless, I'm bringing my ski gear, because I'm hopeful it snows".   

If you can point me in the direction of a respected draft analyst who called Brown a future superstar and/or can recommend a nice ski resort in Kauai, I'd be very glad to read about it.
I'm not confused. None of us care about the analysts you have read about, because if I wanted to know what analysts thought about his game, I would be looking at their articles and sites, not celticsblog forum. This is a forum to share opinions and thoughts, so "merely relaying with everyone else has said about the guy" shouldn't result in page after page of arguments. You are seeking out fights and attention. Stop.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2016, 04:35:16 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I'm not confused. None of us care about the analysts you have read about, because if I wanted to know what analysts thought about his game, I would be looking at their articles and sites, not celticsblog forum. This is a forum to share opinions and thoughts, so "merely relaying with everyone else has said about the guy" shouldn't result in page after page of arguments.
I agree.  Sharing the consensus on Brown shouldn't start arguments.  People here need to be less defensive.  Just because he's not expected to be a star doesn't mean he is incapable of getting there.  If you disagree with how the media presents Brown, there's no point in getting mad at them.  Just hope that Brown proves them wrong.

Anyways, I don't think Brown and Miles are a good comp.  The only thing similar about them is that they went #3 and were thought to be raw prospects with high ceilings.  More people thought Miles had superstar potential.  Only a tiny minority believes Brown is going to be a star.  The good news is that Brown will be playing in a much better environment than Miles was back in 2000.  Perhaps if Miles were being drafted into this system, he would have reached his considerable ceiling.  That Clippers team he was playing for was garbage and may have stunted his growth.  Hopefully this competitive winning environment works in Browns favor.  I'm pretty optimistic about his future.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 04:47:10 AM by LarBrd33 »