Author Topic: Noel on Sixers having three centers: "It doesn't make any sense."  (Read 38708 times)

Re: Noel on Sixers having three centers: "It doesn't make any sense."
« Reply #195 on: September 27, 2016, 10:02:15 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
What about a 3 way trade where we get someone else and noel goes elsewhere?  There are teams that have pgs.  We could land someone like monroe possibly.  Colangelo is asking for a lot right now but as time goes by this may make more sense. 

Minnesota just drafted dunn.  I dont think Philly wants rubio and they have dieng there and towns.  That is just another weird situation.

I'm not huge on Monroe either but with Horford here he could possibly fit. I feel like  Noel is better.

Players around the league are somewhat limited but Noels asking price may come down but I figure he will end up elsewhere if that is the case.

This is the problem with drafting 3 centers though is Colangelo is going to ask what he is but may end up losing Noel for much less. I just am not sure it will be to us.  He wants a pg and Rozier isn't getting it done right now. He could ask for Smart but I don't know.

I think Noel is more worth it than Monroe. Noel is defensively elite.

Colangelo is asking for a top pick and particularly a pg and they have the right to match.  They aren't hardpressed to make a deal here.  It's more Noel causing a stink but he can do that all he wants.

Noel for the 17 pick makes sense to me because it's a pg heavy draft that doesnt necessarily help us and we could use an elite shotblocker.

That may come down but I doubt it. He will probably end up elsewhere. That is his asking price right now so if a deal were to be made it would be something like that. 

I think Colangelo would either resign him or try to find a better deal than rozier and a late pick or olynyk etc... Whether he will who knows.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:18:27 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #196 on: September 27, 2016, 10:17:06 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Noel for the 17 pick makes sense to me because it's a pg heavy draft that doesnt necessarily help us and we could use an elite shotblocker.

I mean, sure, you could buy a 5$ foot long with a 50$ bill and walk away without your change... but why would you?
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #197 on: September 27, 2016, 10:18:45 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
We could try for Embiid but he has questions too.

I think the 17 pick is being overvalued by fans.  Fans also would never ask for it. Colangelo probably would. He basically did with  Dunn anyways.

He's not jumping  up to trade us Noel for Rozier either.

« Reply #198 on: September 27, 2016, 10:23:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
What about a 3 way trade where we get someone else and noel goes elsewhere?  There are teams that have pgs.  We could land someone like monroe possibly.  Colangelo is asking for a lot right now but as time goes by this may make more sense. 

Minnesota just drafted dunn.  I dont think Philly wants rubio and they have dieng there and towns.  That is just another weird situation.

I'm not huge on Monroe either but with Horford here he could possibly fit. I feel like  Noel is better.

Players around the league are somewhat limited but Noels asking price may come down but I figure he will end up elsewhere if that is the case.

This is the problem with drafting 3 centers though is Colangelo is going to ask what he is but may end up losing Noel for much less. I just am not sure it will be to us.  He wants a pg and Rozier isn't getting it done right now. He could ask for Smart but I don't know.

I think Noel is more worth it than Monroe. Noel is defensively elite.
That's the trouble of all of this.  Philly's got a lot of young talent that could develop into superstars, but right now it's unclear how any of them will play together.  They just ultra-tanked for an extended period of time.  They had no intention of winning games.  It's clear Okafor and Noel couldn't play next to each other and the rest of the team was basically D-Leaguers.   So it's unclear right now if there's any kind of chemistry to be built between any of these guys. 

Look at Boston, for instance.  Every year we cycle through a dozen different lineup configurations before settling on something that works.  We started last season with David Lee as a key player, for instance.  It takes time to see how things shake out and how players mesh.  How can you possibly do that when the team has brand new additions like Bayless, Henderson, Rodriguez coming in with expected roles and brand new foundational prospects like Saric, Embiid and Simmons having literally never played a game yet.   Not to mention Noel is heading into his 3rd season playing (which we all admit is typically the season players make leaps) and Okafor is coming off a rookie season.  There's all sorts of questions left to be answered about those two prospects.

How can the team gauge what their greatest needs are?

How can they possibly know for certain which of their bigs is less essential?

This all while it's widely acknowledged this is the WORST time to pull of a trade.  Teams are trying to answer their own questions, figure out their own needs, and it's widely believed Okafor/Noel's theoretical trade value are at their lowest.   

Why would they possibly make a deal right now?

I've said this all offseason and I've been right about it all offseason... it makes no sense for Philly to make a deal until they have a chance to see what they have.  While it might dumfound and shock some of the members here that Noel/Okafor situation hasn't been resolved yet, I was fully prepared for it and have been knowingly nodding my head as each week comes and goes with nary a trade.

You bring up Ricky Rubio's name and I think that's an excellent example.  In theory, Philly might have interest in a high quality PG like Rubio.  Perhaps that's a player they could acquire for Noel.  But why do that right now?  First, they need to see if Simmons can be successful as a ball dominating point-forward.  First, they need to see if they are better off just having a guard like Bayless (who shot 44% from three last season) just acting as an off ball guard spreading the floor while guys like Embiid/Simmons/Okafor create.   

I get why people keep creating Noel trade threads.  Like all of you, I would love to see us snag one of Philly's bigs for cheap.  But I can't see Philly doing that unless things get so bad that one of the bigs demands a trade.   You can't fault Noel for being honest about the situation.  Today, their coach basically said there was nothing wrong with what Noel said - and that's true. Noel has himself to look out for.  He's an unrestricted free agent and projects as the backup center on this team loaded with star center prospects.  That's potentially going to impact Noel's money.  He could theoretically be in line for a max contract in this financial culture and having his minutes reduced could compromise that.      But there's a lot of time for Philly to experiment and figure out the best course of action.   If nobody makes an acceptable offer, Philly makes no trade at all.

And I'm serious walker834, I'm very concerned about your sudden jump to prolific poster status.   Where did you suddenly acquire these long-form posting abilities?   I demand you release your typingtest.com results. 

I just set the Mendoza Line.  My quick test shows 100wpm:

For a second opinion I visited: http://typing-speed-test.aoeu.eu/ ... a far easier test.  It showed me 110wpm.

What are you up to since you started juicing?  150?  Two hundy?   Your sudden post-rate doesn't seem naturally obtainable. 

« Reply #199 on: September 27, 2016, 10:27:26 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
The nets pick and Rozier for Embiid.

Good luck with that.

Philly would have Noel and Okfaor to go with Simmons and get their pg.  Why would they trade us Embiid though. I think people are overvaluing next years pick that way.

That's somewhat a no brainer for us imo.

« Reply #200 on: September 27, 2016, 10:35:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
The nets pick and Rozier for Embiid.

Good luck with that.

Philly would have Noel and Okfaor to go with Simmons and get their pg.  Why would they trade us Embiid though. I think people are overvaluing next years pick that way.

That's somewhat a no brainer for us imo.
Philly says no for the same reason we say yes.

« Reply #201 on: September 27, 2016, 10:40:42 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Embiid's value to us is probably both brooklyn picks and rozier and philly probably still wouldnt do it.

« Reply #202 on: September 27, 2016, 10:43:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I think the 17 pick is being overvalued by fans. undervalued by me. Fans also would never ask for it. Colangelo probably would. He basically did with  Dunn anyways.

fixed it for you

« Reply #203 on: September 27, 2016, 10:44:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I think the 17 pick is being overvalued by fans. undervalued by me. Fans also would never ask for it. Colangelo probably would. He basically did with  Dunn anyways.

fixed it for you
If Brooklyn exceeds expectations, that pick will lose a lot of value. 

But on paper, it doesn't look like they made significant enough additions to their depth to make a major improvement.  Also, 2017 is believed to be a better draft than the 2-player draft we just saw.  So based on this early intel, a 2017 pick in the 5-8 range might end up being more valuable than the #3 pick in 2016.  This summer, every team picking outside the top 2 was trying to trade down or out of the draft.

« Reply #204 on: September 27, 2016, 10:49:23 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

fixed it for you

But on paper, it doesn't look like they made significant enough additions to their depth to make a major improvement.  Also, 2017 is believed to be a better draft than the 2-player draft we just saw.  So based on this early intel, a 2017 pick in the 5-8 range might end up being more valuable than the #3 pick in 2016.  This summer, every team picking outside the top 2 was trying to trade down or out of the draft.
yet the 76ers still couldn't trade Okafor. Rofl! Seriously lol

« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2016, 10:50:55 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

fixed it for you

I really don't think I'm undervaluing it. I know what Dennis Smith is. He's a good player. Harry Giles. Josh Jackson. These are good talents.  There are probably players i'm missing.

We have horford and a good system and a pg in isaiah and an assortment of guys that play hard and brown and smart.

Philly has Embiid, Okafor who is a similar player to horford in ways but younger.  They have Noel as a backup there with Simmons. They need a pg and may be willing to unload noel.

I know Noel is not Embiid. But in our system with stevens it could pan out.  I realize we need talent and talent can be found in next years draft but in order to make a trade for Noel it would take something like that.

Otherwise Philly and Noel is either going to go elsewhere or they will just resign him and have a 3 headed monster there.

The 18 draft is a more big heavy draft and none of those are joel embiid either.  It's questionable even if noel will be found in the next two drafts although there will be talent and good talent but how it all fits here is a question.

We'd still have the 18 pick and cap space plus noel who is valuable and would give us a legit shot blocking presence.

« Reply #206 on: September 27, 2016, 10:56:40 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Having Isaiah, Bradley, Smart, Brown, Crowder, HOrford, KO, NOel, , plus the 18 pick and cap space would give us a legit option to still add a major presence to combat teams like that and around the league. That is my point. 

We have Brad Stevens.  We have a system here where adding another presence to that would be good. Noel isn't the end all be all but as a piece people are overvaluing next years pick.

Yes there are good players next year. We could even find someone there but people are still overvaluing it.

It is valuable. I realize this but even still.  I'm trying to shift it a bit in ways.  Hard to explain and I'm not saying Noel is the end all be all.  He does give us a legit shotblocker and young one which we dont have and a really good one.

For other guys id say no way but Noel is a piece potentially.  If he sucks and is asking 20 million no way. But if he can be a piece here and grow and fit our system I am not undervaluing next years draft.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:04:08 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2016, 11:02:59 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

I mean, sure, you could buy a 5$ foot long with a 50$ bill and walk away without your change... but why would you?

TP. This is probably the best and most simple way to explain it.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #208 on: September 27, 2016, 11:06:00 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
You are overvaluing next years draft. If Noel sucks sure.. If he is a player that is going to play here and improve and be a part of things and a legit shotblocker for us no.

« Reply #209 on: September 27, 2016, 11:12:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

fixed it for you

yet the 76ers still couldn't trade Okafor. Rofl! Seriously lol
wrong.  They absolutely could and can trade Okafor whenever they want.  They have chosen not to.