Author Topic: 2015-2016 UEFA Champions League  (Read 38474 times)

Re: 2015-2016 UEFA Champions League
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2016, 11:34:03 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Arsenal v Barcelona
Juventus v Bayern Munich

Now that's how you spend a Champions League Tuesday. 4 giant squads going at on one day.

Who ya got? 
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2016, 01:02:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Arsenal v Barcelona
Juventus v Bayern Munich

Now that's how you spend a Champions League Tuesday. 4 giant squads going at on one day.

Who ya got?

I will be cheering for Arsenal and Juventus but unfortunately I don't think things are looking good for either side.

Arsenal have been pretty unconvincing of late. I don't think they are up to the task of tackling Barcelona right now. In their best form, yes, I think Arsenal have a decent shot at knocking Barca off ... but not when they are not playing so well.

No Cazorla is a big loss for Arsenal. As is Jack Wilshere. No Tomas Rosicky either. That lack of a ball-playing CM is going to make it much harder for Arsenal to keep the ball and to coordinate quick counter attacks. I also think Gabriel is a loss for Arsenal because his quickness would be a tremendous asset defensively against Barca's skillful and speedy forwards.

I believe Bayern have a couple of injuries at the back. Maybe that gives Juve a bit of an opening. No Boateng. No Javi Martinez. No Badstuber. But they still have the best midfield in the World and a fearsome attack.

Juventus have done really well to get back in the league but they are a much younger and less mature side this year after the losses of Tevez, Vidal and Pirlo. I don't think they have the talent or leadership (in midfield and attack) to beat the top sides in Europe this season. I think the league is a good target for them but they need to mature more before they will be a threat to win in Europe once more.

« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2016, 01:05:08 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Always loved your insights, Who.

That Barcelona front three would probably be just too much for Arsenal. Not to mention that Arsenal is a possession heavy team, and will not get possession from Barca. The only way we beat them would be through the counter, and we're not really good at it.

You think Arsenal should start Walcott up front to add more pace to the counter?

« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

That Barcelona front three would probably be just too much for Arsenal. Not to mention that Arsenal is a possession heavy team, and will not get possession from Barca. The only way we beat them would be through the counter, and we're not really good at it.

You think Arsenal should start Walcott up front to add more pace to the counter?

I don't know.

I think I'd go with Giroud. Having his aerial presence will be great for relieving pressure when Barca get on top of Arsenal. Let Arsenal start their attacks higher up the pitch off of long balls rather than trying to play through Barca's pressure (especially since no Cazorla or Wilshere). Go for knock downs to Ozil and then try to play in the wide men.

Walcott definitely needs to be on the pitch though. He always causes Barca problems with his pace. Start Walcott on the right and try to get him in behind Jordi Alba as much as possible. Sanchez playing a bit deeper on the other wing. More in the buildup.

« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2016, 01:38:02 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I don't know.

I think I'd go with Giroud. Having his aerial presence will be great for relieving pressure when Barca get on top of Arsenal. Let Arsenal start their attacks higher up the pitch off of long balls rather than trying to play through Barca's pressure (especially since no Cazorla or Wilshere). Go for knock downs to Ozil and then try to play in the wide men.

Walcott definitely needs to be on the pitch though. He always causes Barca problems with his pace. Start Walcott on the right and try to get him in behind Jordi Alba as much as possible. Sanchez playing a bit deeper on the other wing. More in the buildup.

That's what a lot of Arsenal fans are thinking, put him on the right, but I'm kind of weary about that because of Theo's lack of defending.

Barca's Full Backs overlap, and with Walcott not tracking back, it would put a ton of pressure for Hector Bellerin to close that right side.

« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2016, 02:03:28 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I'm still sad Juventus lost Vidal.  When he played with Pogba it was magical.  They were so fun to watch last year

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2016, 02:07:51 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'm still sad Juventus lost Vidal.  When he played with Pogba it was magical.  They were so fun to watch last year

I forgot about that little underlying story. Arturo Vidal returns to Turin.

Wonder how the Juventus fans would treat him as he takes that pitch?

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2016, 02:10:59 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

I forgot about that little underlying story. Arturo Vidal returns to Turin.

Wonder how the Juventus fans would treat him as he takes that pitch?

Pogba said he was going to "kick him a few times" or something, but he was clearly just joking around.  I can't believe how young Pogba is either, he was 21 as the best player on one of the two teams in the Champions League Finals last year.  Such a beast

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2016, 02:41:04 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I don't know.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain would be starting in the right, I guess, based on the team sheets.

Good, provides a little bit more pace for the counter.

« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2016, 02:51:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Bit early to give out a yellow card. Let it go.

Ramsey and Coquelin getting pulled out pretty far from their defenders. Lot of space in there between the midfield and defense for Barca to exploit.

Oh my goodness! How did Oxlade-Chamberlain miss that.

Oh, that was beautiful. Just before half-time. Busquets diagonal ball to Dani Alves who on the volley crosses it back towards near post, Suarez with the glancing header. Just wide. Arsenal very lucky to survive that. Two good goal scoring chances for Barca in last couple of minutes. Arsenal need a halftime badly.

Ah no, Arsenal were doing so good. Good breakaway by Barca. Goal Messi. Arsenal fell apart too easily after that failed cross. Arsenal looking tired over last 6-8 mins.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:14:51 PM by Who »

« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2016, 04:30:02 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Bit early to give out a yellow card. Let it go.

Ramsey and Coquelin getting pulled out pretty far from their defenders. Lot of space in there between the midfield and defense for Barca to exploit.

Oh my goodness! How did Oxlade-Chamberlain miss that.

Oh, that was beautiful. Just before half-time. Busquets diagonal ball to Dani Alves who on the volley crosses it back towards near post, Suarez with the glancing header. Just wide. Arsenal very lucky to survive that. Two good goal scoring chances for Barca in last couple of minutes. Arsenal need a halftime badly.

Ah no, Arsenal were doing so good. Good breakaway by Barca. Goal Messi. Arsenal fell apart too easily after that failed cross. Arsenal looking tired over last 6-8 mins.

That was a great counter attack. Nothing we could do about it.

That penalty by Flamini, nothing we could either. Messi puts that in the back of the net no matter what. Horrible clearing by Per, but maybe just because he's too tired, under a ton of pressure, or both.

Gunners gave it all, just got outmatched. Too many careless passes and bad clearances in the 2nd half.

« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2016, 07:07:24 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
That's all she wrote for Chelsea's Champions League run. ios this truly the end of an era? Antonio Conte's got a full on rebuild on his hands.

Also Liverpool V. Man United in the Europa League. think how unlikely that was 10 years ago, when English clubs owned Europe
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2016, 07:31:22 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
That's all she wrote for Chelsea's Champions League run. ios this truly the end of an era? Antonio Conte's got a full on rebuild on his hands.

I think Chelsea still have the 2nd or 3rd best (Arsenal?) squad in England behind Man City and probably still a top 10 team in Europe as well.  Form guide shows Chelsea are actually 2nd in the league since Hiddink took over and the team is still underachieving in their football under Hiddink. Clearly, this is still a really talented team. So I don't think there is any need for a major rebuild.

2 or 3 signings would make the world of difference to this team. Give it some fresh energy and a bit of talent upgrade. Beyond that, Chelsea's main problem is coaching. Fix the coaching and they'll have done 75% of the job right there. I don't know if Conte is the answer or not. I have some concerns about him -- (a) never coached outside of Italy (b) the 3 CB system he used a lot in Italy hasn't worked well in England (c) renowned for his preparation before each opponent - won't have the time for the same prep work in England due to schedule (d) I thought his Juve teams underachieved in Champs League and in Europa League (e) Italian National team work hasn't shown much good football albeit in difficult circumstances .... but still, he did do a great job domestically with Juve and got the team to actually play together which is something Chelsea have struggled with lately. Especially with attacking as a team. They defend well as a team. But attacking is too segmented. Defenders too limited. Holding midfielders too restricted. Too much reliance on individualism and a lack of team work.

« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2016, 02:35:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Europa League

I don't understand why Tottenham put this team selection out today against Dortmund. They are playing one of the top sides in Europe and they play a B team? Carroll and Mason were cut apart in midfield by Dortmund. Tottenham toothless up front without Harry Kane. Dortmund were terrific. They really put on a show tonight. Thoroughly dominated Tottenham.

Looking forward to that Liverpool vs Man Utd tie. Hopefully it'll be a good game but I kinda feel both coaches will set out to frustrate the other one. I doubt we'll see the quality that Dortmund just showed against Tottenham (from these two English giants).

Edit: Good game. Liverpool deserved winners. Man Utd were pretty disappointing. No cohesiveness to their play. Their wingers pinned back. Rashford miscast as a winger. Mata doing nothing as an attacking mid. Looked like they should have picked a 3rd CM instead of Mata and given wingers more freedom to stay high up the pitch instead of chasing Liverpool's full backs. Liverpool were very good. Cut through United's defense easily in first half. Should have scored a few more and ended the tie. Liverpool in great position heading into 2nd leg.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 05:42:03 PM by Who »

« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2016, 02:39:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Just thinking earlier about whether I still have Chelsea in my top 10 squads in Europe.

So here is my list:

Top 5 teams = Bayern, Barca, Atletico Madrid, PSG, Real Madrid

Rest of top 10 11 = Dortmund, Juventus, Napoli, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal